• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Southend

Rovers v Southend
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, October 18, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, October 18, 2019 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Injury curse strikes again. Gilmour did his knee in training and is going for a scan. Banks out for 3 months - also injured in training. Danns and Kane Wilson back in the squad. Ferrier has started running.

Banks is a blow as he’s been better of late and we have no one else like him.
Yes, I think Banks is under-appreciated to be honest. The timing could not be worse for Gilmour, coming just as he was finally breaking into the first team. At least midfield is one area where we have strength in depth.

Player
Manager
John King
Micky mentions the training routine - almost expecting any sort of inference that it could be causing the issues. Both Harvey and Olis injuries sounded innocuous. The only thing I thought of is that Micky has said previously that training has to be at a league one tempo and level and you wonder whether some players aren’t up to the physical side of it....
I think Micky has almost acknowledged himself that he has been pushing the players too hard at times. We live and learn I suppose.

Player
Manager
John King
Just listening to it. It's fascinating and informative. Mark Palios has torn up the traditional business model of running a football club and his alternative plans for the future of the club deserve serious consideration. Also the other Mark (Chapman) always amazes me with his overall sporting knowledge. He's one of BBC Sport's top assets.
Yes, I like Chapman. I think he is good tactically when he covers the Premier League stuff as well.

Despite the bravado of that Bury fan, I don't think they will be troubling us any time soon. Bury are not that different in size to Chester, Hereford or Darlington, none of whom have been able to reclaim a League place after starting again at the bottom.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Real shame about Gilmour, just after he's finally been given an opportunity and with Banks already out for a significant time. Nothing heard of Maddox, since he disappeared back to Chelsea...wonder if we'll ever see him in action wearing a Rovers shirt. Though Kane Wilson's return was relatively unheralded.

Last edited:
Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Yeah so we’re back down to the bare bones in midfield for a little while! At least we’ve got plenty of experience with our 107 years experience of Potter, Danns & Perkins for tomorrow

ADD

Player
Norwood
Surely even MM must be thinking whether it has something to do with the training regime?
I know he talks about intensity but that doesn't of itself create injuries - something appears not right however with so many serious injuries.
To my mind he needs to take a reality check. Andy Hodgen is Head of Sports Science and is I am sure very highly qualified but is he is pushing for strength etc. and not focusing enough on the flexibility or is he simply overloading the players? We are doing well in the last few minutes of games 100% I agree, but if we lose 1 or 2 players to injury every week then that won't last forever.
Much talk elsewhere about "we never had these sort of injury crises when they had to run over the sand dunes when Les Parry was running things"... maybe that is old school now but surely something has to give as these levels of injury surely can't just be down to bad luck can they? Thoughts?

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
On a more positive note didn't Klopp receive similar criticisms when he first joined Liverpool - injuries due to over-training and the style of play? Look what happened there ...

Player
aldo
hey chaps and girls . we go away on monday night . im not going to be on er for a week or two not taking stuff with us even phones not being turned on soo looking forward to it , we all deserve it

drwhoman

We have signed some guys with historic injury issues but I did not think that Gilmour or Banks were in that category so maybe just bad luck.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hope the rain doesn’t cause any last minute doubts??

Player
Manager
John King
Potter injured, Mullin dropped, starts for Danns, Perkins, Rushian and CBT. Looks like 442.

Player
aldo
not suprised mullin dropped if we keep getting injuries mm and jacko and mp will have to get there boots out lol

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Is it more a case of MM sticking with the attacking line-up that won us the game at Coventry rather than Mullin dropped? Though Paul hasn’t made the most of his recent opportunity. Will be interesting to see who of Danns or Perkins takes the deeper more defensive role. Strong bench.

Player
Manager
John King
Mullin might still be carrying a slight injury but I am not sure he would have started regardless.

ADD

Player
Norwood
What a pathetic start! Absolutely no intensity. We are not good enough to turn up half cocked...