• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Silkmen (again)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
For the second Saturday in succession we take on Macclesfield. Following defeat to Rovers, The Silkmen won convincingly at Chester on Monday and will again prove tough opposition.

Selection wise, I would start with the same line up as against Alty. There is no need to change a winning team unless we are forced to as a result of the ongoing contract issues.

It has been interesting to read the comments of the Altrincham and Macclesfield supporters in recent days. A number of them have described Rovers as 'mediocre' and a 'hoofball' team, sentiments echoed by the Macclesfield manager John Askey. Such comments smack of jealousy and bitternesss and suggest that we are doing something right in finally learning how to put away these lesser sides. I think we have better players than the aforementioned teams and have played decent football in the great majority of matches this season, but I am quite happy for opponents to complain about our playing style so long as we win promotion in May.

I would predict another 5,000 plus gate with 3-400 from Macclesfield. A victory would be great as a number of the sides above us have winnable games at home. However, a draw would probably just about keep our play-off hopes alive.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Macclesfield have a decent away record so will be a tough game im going for a 2 1 home win, as for other supporters comments about us im not really that bothered what they say

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wasn't at either game. My impression from what's been written here and elsewhere was that we did a good job at snuffing out Macc at their place and deserved the win, while seeming to lose our way a bit after a good first half v Alty. I've taken a look at their forums, as always interesting to see what opponents make of us and they've got a good idea of what it takes to get out of this league the right way. Fair to say neither particularly impressed with Rovers, but the Silkmen's main gripe seemed to be with the referee and selection of their smaller defenders against our big boys, while Alty were concerned with poor defending for our goal and their failing to take any chances. Mealy-mouthed managers go with the territory in this league, with our own being one of the best examples.

GTF isn't likely to be fit. Working on the premise that Hill and Mekki are not signed up, changes may be enforced for tomorrow. If Ridehalgh also unfit, then Vaughan may end up at left-back and Sutton at right-back again. Either Kirby/Mangan out wide. A bit thin on options for the bench.

I'd agree that this will be another tight game. Rovers need to defend a high line as some of Maccs attackers will do damage if they're allowed to run at McNulty. Wouldn't be too upset with a draw. There will be a decent away turnout, as a number of Silkmen opted to miss Chester and come to this, in a crowd of around 5.5k

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we are to achieve anything this season we need to win tomorrow. Two good wins on the bounce is great but three really sends out a message and brings us nicely out of the Xmas period and into the second half of the season. We really need to be more consistent and now is the perfect time.

Think we'll win by a goal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Line up:

Davies
Vaughan Ihiekwe McNulty Hill
Hughes Harris Jennings Mekki
Maynard
Norwood

Player
Manager
John King
A very frustrating afternoon. While it was far from a convincing performance, I did not think we deserved to lose the game. There was an element of fortune about the goal, with a miscued shot falling to one of their players, and while we did not create nearly enough over ninety minutes, their replacement keeper pulled off good saves from Hughes and Stockton at vital times.

Our lack of creativity is a concern. Macclesfield scored a scruffy goal and then parked the bus for the remainder of the game, and we did not have enough in midfield or out wide to beak them down. Hughes did some good things, some less impressive things, but it remains to be seen whether he will give us what we need in the absence of Dawson. Again, I was surprised that the manager did not change the shape of the team to ask the opposition some different questions, and all the substitutions were like-for-like.

All things considered, our home form this season has been appalling and is the reason why we will probably miss out on the play-offs. Still only six points adrift (although some teams have games in hand) but it is difficult to see us finding the consistency to get in the top five.

While there was not much quality on display, I thought there were some decent individual performances, particularly from the two centre backs.

Player
Manager
John King
Just heard that Mangan has had a bust up with Brabin and gone back to Shrewsbury. Incredible if true.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd say a draw would have been a fair result but like you say lack of creativity cost us. We won't make the playoffs, we aren't consistent enough. Home form is poor and will cost us a playoff place and more empty seats next season.

Yet again we persisted with the long ball to Norwood who was helplessly adrift in the first half and was running around like a headless chicken. A bit more purpose in the second half but nowhere near enough.

Regarding Mangan, if true, we've lost one of the very few players who can score us goals.

Player
Manager
John King
And replaced mangan with Stockton, who was not good enough for Southport. Just shambolic frankly and disastrous p r for the club.

drwhoman

Sad and again frustrating. The doubts we have all expressed about GB must be there again. No Mangan and Stockton in his place is a step backwards. They really do need some youthful vitality ideally in midfield.

Player
Manager
John King
In the summer Brabin brought in two forwards who are what can be termed 'natural' goalscorers: Mangan and Margetts. The former is experienced and has been prolific at a higher level than the National League, the latter showed real potential in pre-season and in a couple of his rare starts. Both have now left the club, whether permanently or temporarily, after apparently falling out with the manger.

As a side that has struggled to score goals all season, this leaves us with Norwood, GTF (unfit, unconvincing and has not scored since his debut), Tomlinson (unconvincing, played out of position and yet to score) and Stockton (apparently deemed surplus to requirements months ago by the manager, but now back in the first team picture due to the Mangan 'politics'). How this can be considered a coherent strategy for improving the squad is beyond me. Added to which, the treatment of Sutton, who was very solid in the first couple of months of the season, is a further indication of poor man-management.

Mangan is one of the few players we have who is actually good enough for the Football League and was our marquee signing in the summer, the most exciting arrival at the club. For him to leave in this manner just makes an already depressing season even worse in my view.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Firstly the match.
Another home defeat by a so-called lesser side, who obiously learned a bit from the Boxing Day defeat, adjusted tactically and won. There was certainly an element of luck about their goal, a mis-hit shot finding it's way to an advanced unmarked player, who crossed and they scored. Perhaps against the run of play at that point, but the visitors saw the half out comfortably.
Second half, we started brightly, a good ball across the box not converted and their sub keeper made a great save, but by midway through the half, things had fizzled out. However, instead of taking off one of the under-performing midfield trio Harris/Maynard/Jennings, Brabin took off Hughes, who after a quiet start worked his way into the game, replacing with an ineffective Tomlinson. Another substitution saw the tiring Mekki replaced by Stockton. Was there any significance in Adam shaking hands with all his colleagues on the bench, as he came off? Instead of Brabin adjusting the formation, he persisted with playing a lone striker, pushing Norwood onto the wing. Stockton did bring a decent save out of their keeper, but Rovers were unable to find a way back into the game. I'd agree with Ian, a draw would have been about right,for all our faults, we did have a few good chances today. Poor crowd too, sub 5k, despite over 400 Silkmen.

Next the off-field stuff.
I agree Mangan was a marquee signing in the summer, his clinical finishes at home to Halifax and at Cheltenham earned us four extra points and his absence from recent starting line-ups is a puzzle. I don't understand why Brabin wants rid,or his treatment of Margetts, Sutton and Kirby, who came back from Stockport on fire and was hardly given a look-in. Neither do I get the favouring of Tomlinson and Jennings by the manager, the former has done little since joining on loan. Basically we are going nowhere with Brabin in charge and maybe the Palioi need the same kind of prod that PJ was given by the fans to get rid of his disasterous appointment, John Barnes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
NP gone quite on Twitter again. Only seems to pipe up when we win.
If you look at the table after 23 games, we are pretty much bang on mid table form and that's we we'll be at the end of the season.

Player
Manager
John King
NP gone quite on Twitter again. Only seems to pipe up when we win.
If you look at the table after 23 games, we are pretty much bang on mid table form and that's we we'll be at the end of the season.

The Q&A with the chairman and manager on Thursday night should be interesting (assuming Brabin turns up). I think it is actually too late and too disruptive to make a managerial change now. What concerns me is that if we finish where we are now, Brabin might be given the whole of next season as well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think you're right RLC. Bizarrely I am a great believer in giving managers more time especially in today's footballing world but I honestly believe another season with GB in charge will again lead to mid table mediocrity. I cannot see how he will improve us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Brabin was appointed well before the season started, had ample time and funds to build a decent, balanced squad and has failed to do so.

We're not going to make the play-offs this season. Either we get rid, or Palios gives him until the end of the season, with no extra funding and the brief to try and bring on some of the youngsters and re-assess then. It is a big worry that the age of our squad is so old, the fact that half of them have been there, done that, got the t-shirt in respect of getting promoted from the conference does not seem to have worked in our favour.

Is anyone going to the Supporters Club event on Thursday?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I too am a great believer in giving managers time and if say GB had built up a nucleus of decent players and we were improving albeit slowly, I would gladly give him the rest of this season and next season too. However too many decisions have been made that I don't agree with including:
Shipping out Margetts, Mangan, keeping 1 up top at home, persisting with Jenno, poor signings like GTF & Tomlinson. playing our top scorer out wide yesterday.

The worry as others have alluded to is with more funds he'll continue to sign some poor players and play decent ones out of position. Mangan is apparently a bit of a character and not easy to manage. However Norwood is apparently the same and who knows what he was thinking when he was tracking back late yesterday, exhausted from all that running about whilst on his own up front.

If Mekki leaves thats another issue as he has done plenty to earn a longer deal.

Player
Manager
John King
Is anyone going to the Supporters Club event on Thursday?

Yes, I will be there. I just hope the message gets across loud and clear that the supporters are unhappy with Brabin's performance and the way this season has developed (in truth, I am sure Palios must already be aware of this from social media).

Brabin has already been allowed to make decisions on players in the January window, so I can't see any circumstances in which he will go before the end of the season. As I have said above, any assessment of his performance in May should be measured against the chairman's stated ambition of reaching the play-offs as a minimum. As Boz says, he has had ample time and funds to achieve this goal and if he fails he must accept responsibility.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Boz, that's a very good point about the balance of our squad, we are top heavy with centre halves but are short in other areas mainly centre mid and genuine widemen

Stickman

Player
Aldo
I disagree with some who say the squad is good enough. I think we have too many players who have no pace, skill or physical presence. We are too slow on the attack, often not getting enough players forward and even if we do we look clueless about how to get past a defender or two. Then, when other teams attack us, they cut through our midfield like a hot knife through butter. Overall, I think the players are not good enough. We can discuss Brabin's tactics all day but I think it's more to do with the players he has retained and brought in. I (and many other supporters I know) were astounded that Jennings was retained and made captain after being part of two successively relegated teams. That was an early sign of his poor judgement. Offloading Mangan is the latest sign. Mid table at best this season I think.