• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Shrews

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
First game for me this season so looking forward to seeing the new look squad.

Also first time my little one is coming along so hopefully get him recruited nice and early. Will be gutted if he turns out to be a red or blue!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another performance with a lot of positives. The scoreline was a nonsense really: Shrewsbury had two efforts on goal in the second half and scored both of them.

In the first half Shrews were better in possession but we created far more chances, but did not take them. It was one of those days in front goal, as we might easily have scored four or five. In the second half we dominated, but Shrewsbury were ruthless on the break.

Individually, both Mangan and Stockton looked sharp and Norwood was very tidy when he came on. He looks far more comfortable up front than out wide. Mekki was excellent on the right wing, and Hill and Ridehalgh linked up well on the left in the second period. Despite the scoreline, as a team I thought we showed lots of character and energy to keep going when things went against us.

Although we conceded four, I still believe we have a solid defence for Conference level. Although Shrewsbury were not hugely impressive in general play, we won't come up against attacking players of their quality this season.

My only slight concern is Davies' shot-stopping. Their second goal slipped underneath him and should have been a comfortable save.

Looking forward to next Saturday now and I hope Ian's son enjoyed his first game (if not the score!).

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks for the report, RLC. Glad I read your report before I hear the score, as I'd hoped and expected a lot better! Even last season, we never got beaten by so many. You are not one to put a positive spin on a performance without justification and let's not forget they are now two divisions above us now. I just hope the score doesn't deflate the players and the fans. The true test will be next Saturday and the subsequent 45 league games.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While agreeing that the scoreline flattered Shrewsbury, I left the game feeling distinctly uncomfortable about our prospects for the season.

The positives; Stockton played really well in the 45 minutes he was allocated, brought a good save from a header, set up a chance for Jennings who fluffed it and some good lay-offs. Mangan and to a lesser extent Norwood looked threatening too. Trialist no 7 Mekki scored from a cross-come-shot and contributed to some good attacking moves. Sutton was vocal at the back and Holness managed about 10 minutes on his come-back from injury.

The concerns; Their 1st and 3rd goals were down to defensive mistakes, the former on the right, the latter on the left. The 2nd and 4th Davies could have done better for. The central midfield didn't put up much of a barrier to Shrews attacks and I don't understand Brabin not giving Maynard a chance in central midfield. When he did come on was played as right-back???!! Does Brabin have an assistant to bounce ideas off, he was on his lonesome today.

I hope Ian junior enjoyed his first trip to Prenton Park.

Player
Manager
John King
The central midfield didn't put up much of a barrier to Shrews attacks and I don't understand Brabin not giving Maynard a chance in central midfield. When he did come on was played as right-back???!! .

The 4-4-2 formation was not really suited to playing a higher level team and left us exposed at times in the middle, but Brabin clearly wanted to have another look at both wide men. Similarly, Maynard coming on at right back was purely to allow the other subs / starters to be tried in particular roles. It was only a pre-season friendly, so there was bound to be some experimentation.

I believe James Quinn, once of West Brom and Blackpool, is Brabin's assistant.

As I said previously, Shrewsbury will probably be pushing for the League One play-offs and are a class above the teams we will face this season. There are no strike pairings like Barnett and Collins in the Conference. I think you are misguided if you read too much into today's result. With the players we have recruited I am sure we are going to have a good season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought we did OK against a decent side who were good in front of goal. Little bit concerned about the keeper but will reserve judgement as don't want to read too much into friendly games.

Passing and movement was good at times and you can certainly see goals in this side. Although it took us 20 mins to get into the game, we had three great chances all from headers that got wasted.

We were more solid in the second when subs were made and played some decent football. Still think it will take more games to gel and some of the players aren't match fit.

Certainly more than capable for the conf.

Little one said he enjoyed it, I'm not so sure. He certainly looked the part with his full kit on though!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Brabin hasn't played Maynard much in central midfield pre-season, so thought he deserved pitch time there, as it's where he's meant to play best. If we had to play a midfielder at right-back, stick Jennings there. He's had ample opportunity to show what he can and can't do in the middle.

Player
Manager
John King
Maynard was one of the best midfielders in the Conference last season, so I would guess Brabin already knows what he can do there. He did play in the centre in one of the friendlies I attended.

From what I have seen so far, if we play 4-4-2 I would like Harris and Maynard as the midfield partnership.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Maynard was one of the best midfielders in the Conference last season, so I would guess Brabin already knows what he can do there. He did play in the centre in one of the friendlies I attended.

From what I have seen so far, if we play 4-4-2 I would like Harris and Maynard as the midfield partnership.
I would certainly like Maynard as one of the central midfield, for the physical barrier his height creates, but he hasn't played in that position either friendly I attended where he featured. Harris seems to have been better than Jennings in most of the pre-season, but didn't think there was much to choose between them yesterday. The formation is an issue, neither of the winger-trialists has been signed up yet and Brabin's certainly seen enough of Mekki by now to make a decision. If neither sign, there is a strong case for playing 4-3-3 as the formation best suited to our current squad.

While I understand the difficulties with injuries to Norwood and Riley and the late efforts to recruit wingers have caused problems, normally you'd be expecting the side walking out to play the final friendly to be fairly close to the starting xi v Woking. Don't think that holds true here.

Player
Manager
John King
While I understand the difficulties with injuries to Norwood and Riley and the late efforts to recruit wingers have caused problems, normally you'd be expecting the side walking out to play the final friendly to be fairly close to the starting xi v Woking. Don't think that holds true here.

Difficult to know what our 'best' eleven would be, as there is competition for places in a number of key positions. What is important is that a number of different combinations have been tried in pre-season, and all the senior players have had considerable time on the pitch.

I think you should lay off the manager a bit until a ball has been kicked in anger............

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn't think was being that critical. It's often the case that the last friendly is something of a dry run for the season opener, but for the reasons given earlier that wasn't possible here.

Player
Manager
John King
It is interesting to try and guess the starting eleven next week. The fact it is difficult is a positive as we have some good options, certainly in the central areas.

I would think Sutton and Riley will be the centre back pairing, but central midfield could be any two of the three senior players. I would guess Mangan will start up front, but have no idea who will partner him; you could make a case for all of the other three strikers.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would start with whoever is fittest, as it looked to me like some still needed match time, especially the ones that have been injured recently.

Whatever the team, we enter unknown territory. I have no idea what to expect from the opposition. The first 10 games or so should make it a bit clearer. Only a few days to go..

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Good point Ian. I think GB is afforded to go with fittest players because the squad looks to have quality to a ggreater depth these days - so he can afford to give Riley and Norwood a chance to get fitter if required.

Feel really confident with GB - only concern is that I have noticed he has commented two or three times with respect to goals scored against in friendlies, that we should have done better as they had been working on those particular scenarios in training. Hope we start learning quickly.