• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Shakers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well this should be an odd affair. Bury have sold their allocation I understand and don't be surprised if some away fans sneak into the home stands.

Bury have to win and hope Southend lose to have a chance so expect them to be positive. Will be interesting if Lowe plays but they have quality with the likes of ex rovers loanee Danny Mayor and Eaves up top. Nice to see their manager has been calling for some respect for us and how sad it is to see a North west club go down.

Who knows what rovers side will feature. Dare I say a few players may be making their last TRFC appearance. I'd hoped we would have a new gaffa in place but who knows if that will happen.

I expect a comfortable afternoon for the visitors and another defeat for rovers to end the worse season in living memory.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If I hadn't arranged to be on Wirral this weekend already, might not have bothered with this. Although it might be the last chance to see Rovers in the football league for some time.

It's a pity we're up against a side who still have something to play for. A dead rubber would of allowed us to blood some youngsters, rather than the same dross who got us relegated. Although it sounds like Rogers and Garnett did get the side fired up a bit more for the Plymouth game. Of the senior players, I'd like to see Koumas start. Agree with Sparky another defeat is most likely, but not certain.

Is it possible we'll be outnumbered by Bury in terms of support, given they've sold out the away end? There may be some flak directed towards the players, an expression of anger at our situation.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes would be great if Jason could play 90 minutes for two games running. Wonder when the last time was he did that....

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am actually glad there is something riding on the game for Bury, as this would have been a completely lifeless, depressing affair otherwise. After a week of having our noses rubbed in it by supporters of other clubs (particularly Chester and Wrexham) there would be a perverse pleasure in denying Bury promotion, not that it seems likely.

Koumas was man of the match at Plymouth and will probably start. I would expect the team to be similar to last Saturday, perhaps with one or two of the youngsters coming off the bench. I doubt the 2,300 Bury fans will outnumber the home contingent.

It was interesting to read Koumas's column this week where he contrasted the approach of Rogers / Garnett with that of Adams. Hopefully we will see some spirit for our final game (for now) in the Football League.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I matters not now, but at least there may be some spark on the pitch at least from the away team who have it all to play for. It's really quite depressing going to this knowing we are already down, so I just hope it's a decent game to watch.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Never have I been less interested in a Rovers game. The result is of no consequence to us. Win or lose, it won't make our season any better. It's been a terrible season, losing over half our games and finishing with a lower points total than most relegated clubs in recent seasons. If we win, it will just be ironic. I'm not sure how bothered the players will be, as most of them will desert or be shown the door in a few days. While end of season is normally a chance to blood a couple of youngsters, I hope we play our strongest team to be respectful of Bury and not to disadvantage their rivals for promotion.

I just want to fast forward to August. New manager, new players, new hope.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Despite my last post, I'm still following this game. Today's team is fairly predictable except for George Green's absence. However, our bench must be the youngest ever featuring three of the four new pros, Stockton, Kirby and youth team prospect Omotola. The only seasoned pro is Laird. I expect two or three of the youngsters to be blooded at some stage, unless it's very tight.

Player
Manager
John King
A game that neatly encapsulates a dismal season. It was a decent performance overall, we were on top for long periods and certainly deserved something from the game, but our ineptitude in the final third cost us again. Given the significance of the game for them, Bury were poor, and gave the impression they only had to turn up to win the game. Unfortunately, due to Rovers failings, this turned out to be true.

I really felt for Power, Koumas, Hume and Hill today, who gave everything but had to carry the garbage around them. I certainly hope the likes of Dugdale, Ihiekwe, Odejayi and Donnelly don't pull on a Rovers shirt again.

Man of the match was between Koumas and Max, who was excellent today. It would be an unexpected bonus if we could hold on to him next season, but it seems unlikely.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A game that neatly encapsulates a dismal season. It was a decent performance overall, we were on top for long periods and certainly deserved something from the game, but our ineptitude in the final third cost us again.
Couldn't agree more. Depressing end to a terrible season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes the match summed up our season really. Decent possession, plenty of the ball in the final third, but once again toothless. The great cross by max late on at the kop end that flashed across the six yard line would have been gobbled up by a certain Ryan Lowe if we still had him but both odejayi and Hume just looked at each other.

Did anyone see any glimpses of our new manager in the posh seats? Surely if they are being announced on Tuesday they would have been at the game. The highlight for me was a photo and handshake with Goodi in the club shop beforehand. I asked him if he would sign for next season to which he just grunted.

Credit I have to say to the message bury put on their website about their good friends at tranmere.

Let's move on and forget about a dismal season. Hopefully news early this week will start things moving in a positive direction.

Player
Liam Palmer
I know this is bizarre but I'm in the boot of my car as my wife gives a lift to 4 Bury supporters. Bless them and they're kind words on their website.

We'll be back. Need to keep perspective and some experienced players.

I'm off for the summer. It's been a rubbish season and Edinburgh City lost at Brora on pens today.

Roll on August!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was a cold, wet, miserable day at Prenton Park, even without the football. I felt we were worth a draw, but dithering around the edge of our area cost us again and despite a couple of opportunities to level, again we never looked like scoring.

I think RLC is being unusually harsh about the players he doesn't wish to see in a Rovers shirt again. By his own fairly low standards, Dugdale wasn't too bad yesterday. Donnelly was stuck out on the wing and the reality is he won't be back. Odejayi has had more good than bad games for us, since Edwards left. Ihiekwe proved once again that he is incapable of playing right-back. I'd hoped Rogers might switch him and Donacien around and hope that the next manager twigs fairly quickly that Michael can do a fair job as a central defender and deploys him there.

As for the rest of the side, Hill played a lot of balls back into the danger area yesterday, particularly in the first half. Agree that Power, Koumas and Hume had good games and kept battling, while Fonners played well in what's almost certainly his last game for Rovers. Omotola won us a free-kick on debut, which Koumas came close to converting, while Jago had another cameo to gain some valuable experience.

I hope TT64 is out of the boot of his car now :) Personally, I'd be happy if August drags it's heels about putting in an appearance.

Player
Manager
John King
I think RLC is being unusually harsh about the players he doesn't wish to see in a Rovers shirt again. By his own fairly low standards, Dugdale wasn't too bad yesterday. Donnelly was stuck out on the wing and the reality is he won't be back. Odejayi has had more good than bad games for us, since Edwards left. Ihiekwe proved once again that he is incapable of playing right-back. I'd hoped Rogers might switch him and Donacien around and hope that the next manager twigs fairly quickly that Michael can do a fair job as a central defender and deploys him there.

Yes, frustration probably got the better of me yesterday.

I agree that Donnelly was very good down the middle until Adams played him out of position and destroyed his confidence (and deprived us of our only regular goalscorer in the process). Ihiekwe is still under contract and probably could do a decent job at centre back in the Conference. Odejayi has been ok in many games, but we are going to need far more of a goal threat next season: he is past his best and is probably surplus to requirements. Dugdale was better defensively yesterday, but his distribution was still appalling and I have not changed my overall assessment of him.

I maintain that a major overhaul of the squad will be needed if we are to compete next season.

drwhoman

This may be a naive question but I assume Alan Rogers has got no chance of getting the gig?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This may be a naive question but I assume Alan Rogers has got no chance of getting the gig?
You probably assume correctly. While he is "one of us" and may become a successful manager one day, I think MP would consider someone without managerial experience too much of a risk. Rob Edwards had better credentials as he was an experienced coach and assistant manager. However, I agree with Jason Koumas that it would have been interesting if he and Shaun had had a few more matches in charge. It's possible we might have stayed up. I hope the new manager wants him in his backroom team.

Player
Manager
John King
If Rogers stays, I think he should return to coaching the kids. I think we need a clean sweep in the dressing room to freshen things up.

M

Mal

Perhaps we should have changed name to Birkenhead FC....
Champions this season. Bournemouth, Bristol City, Burton, Barnet. And Bristol Rovers nicely placed in playoffs. I discount Burnley!