• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Saddlers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Last pre-season friendly. Still a time for experimenting, or will Micky start with the preferred line-up for the opening game with Rochdale? Wonder if we'll see any more triallists. While these games don't hold much significance to how the season itself will pan out, it would be good to sign off with a win.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Surely he'll put out what he thinks is our best side so they can play together before the real thing next Saturday. Maybe a couple of changes at half-time, if it's not going well or he wants to try out his Plan B or introduce a triallist. But I expect what we see tomorrow is how we'll set up to start the season.

I'm still expecting a couple more loanees before the end of August, as happened last season.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Micky’s already explained that Walsall & Rochdale will line up very differently so we’ll be doing likewise over the two fixtures I’d suspect in terms of shape if not personnel, also he won’t want to reveal his hand so expect the same smoke & mirrors which has served us incredibly well over the past couple of seasons!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am still on my hols so will miss this one, but it would be good to sign off with a victory. I think the personnel will pretty much be the same as for the Rochdale game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Could do with the strikers getting some goals in front of the PP faithful -ahead of next Saturday’s opener

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Decided to go to this as I feel the team should be pretty much in shape for the opener next week. Let's hope we see some goals!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
No Blackett-Taylor or Woods out through injury

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fairly strong lineup. Customary back four with Ray alongside Manny. Payne up front hopefully assisted by Jennings.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Strange line-up with Mullin, Miller, Potter and Nelson on the bench. Surely not the team for Rochdale?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No triallists or first year pros in the squad, is there another game involving the youngsters? Think Blackett-Taylor was known to be injured but Woods named on the bench before picking up an injury. His injury ridden career continues.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not bad play overall but a little toothless up front.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, silly tackle on him too. We improved second half with better passing and movement especially when we made a glut of subs. Miller looked hungry once again but lack of goals and not that many chances is a concern.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Caprice off injured, injuries are mounting up
Also sounded like Miller picked up another injury. Unless we bring one or two more of reasonable quality in, it's looking like a season of struggle.

ADD

Player
Norwood
No triallists or first year pros in the squad, is there another game involving the youngsters? Think Blackett-Taylor was known to be injured but Woods named on the bench before picking up an injury. His injury ridden career continues.
Boz, Spellman and Walker- Rice were on the bench. The youngsters all played on Wednesday at AFC Liverpool.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Boz, Spellman and Walker- Rice were on the bench. The youngsters all played on Wednesday at AFC Liverpool.
Thanks ADD, the original twitter feed didn't seem to name-check them, but I saw mention of the two you named on the post-match report.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Injury to Miller sounds bad "Miller not looking very good at moment" MM said in post match interview - already talking about struggling for budget to bring someone in to replace him. That's so disappointing as he had looked sharp. Without him really I think we will struggle for goals. Loanee from somewhere pretty much a necessity now I think. Still more talk on the other forum re Ched Evans.... wonder if the Miller injury may change some people's views?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Still more talk on the other forum re Ched Evans.... wonder if the Miller injury may change some people's views?
Nope.

This sounds like a similar game to the previous friendlies, with some decent approach play but a lack of punch up front. The injury to Miller is a real concern, but I suppose that was the unavoidable (due to the budget) risk we took when we signed Woods, Miller, Potter and co., all of whom have had major injury problems in recent years.