• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Orient

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Leyton Orient

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Orient
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, January 28, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, January 28, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Does anyone know what today's attendance was?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
They did not look the better side in either half, in my opinion.
It's all about opinions. In the first half neither side had a cutting edge. Orient did play some neat football and their ball retention was good. Rovers played well enough, but as Micky alluded to in his post-match interview, didn't always pick the right ball. I didn't think there was a great deal in it though..

Second half, Rovers were much the better side. with the Kop in fine voice and Micky geeing up the home paddocks and main stand to join in. There was much more momentum and flow to our attacks. The winning goal came in a spell where Orient appeared to have weathered the storm, but a Rovers break and the excellent JDC forced a winner. Credit to the referee, who'd been a little erratic with decisions, for playing the double advantage in the move leading up to the ball finding the back of the net.

Overall we were deserved winners, but the game was enhanced as the visitors came to play football, rather than scrap and foul their way to a result. I think they'll still be in and around the top end of the table when the season ends. Saunders had an excellent debut and can only improve as he gets to know his new team-mates better, while the Chalmers cameo was promising. Great vibe at the end of the game and after a few weeks of uncertainty, things seem to be heading in the right direction.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Overall we were deserved winners, but the game was enhanced as the visitors came to play football, rather than scrap and foul their way to a result. I think they'll still be in and around the top end of the table when the season ends.
I agree Boz. I thought it was actually a really good game to watch even for the neutrals and Orient were well organised which makes the victory even sweeter.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
Was playing myself today so just caught the highlights and going off the comments on here it’s sounds like a decent performance - glad I was right with my prediction that we would sneak a goal and win 1-0. Also great to hear that PP was rocking during the game!

From the highlights, Morris looked like the best player on the park by a mile and it also looks like both defences were on top for most of the game (stats suggest only 1 shot on target in total across both teams).

I’m still fearful that we are 1 or 2 injuries from being in a difficult position due to lack of depth in some areas but you can’t knock 3 points against the league leaders!

Reactions: Boz

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
What a fantastic match. It looked beyond League 2 standards from start to finish. Orient look, quite rightly, destined for League 1 but we absolutely deserved our victory today. I don't think there can be any criticism of any of our players today. If we can maintain that standard of performance there is only one direction we are headed.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It's all about opinions. In the first half neither side had a cutting edge.
I thought we had far more cutting edge than the visitors. We had more pace and width and got in behind them several times, and there were actually several good deliveries into the box which were not attacked, particularly from the right side.

From their online comments, the majority of Orient fans agreed we were the better side throughout.

Player
Manager
John King
It is interesting that despite a couple of recent frustrations, we have picked up eleven points from the last six games, with three victories, two draws and a solitary undeserved defeat at Crewe. That is actually automatic promotion form.

If we repeat those results in the next six games - difficult, given tough opposition - we will be firmly in the promotion picture.

ADD

Player
Norwood
It was also interesting to hear Micky say post match that he believes Burton has now bridged the gap between youth players and first team squad player, and I thought he again made a positive impact when he came on.
Yes slightly surprised by that comment given it was only Mumbongo's concussion that gave Burton around 50 minutes 2 weeks ago but fair play to MM to say that post match and put him on rather than Mumbongo when Saunders tired.
After all he is like Saunders in as much as he also has great pace.
Noticed also he was right behind the defender and unmarked when the defender scored the OG so would likely have bundled it in. Hope he can indeed cement himself as a regular first team squad player now and I agree he again did make an impact when he came on.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought we had far more cutting edge than the visitors. We had more pace and width and got in behind them several times, and there were actually several good deliveries into the box which were not attacked, particularly from the right side.

From their online comments, the majority of Orient fans agreed we were the better side throughout.
There were certainly a couple of quality balls into the box, either side of h/t, Morris responsible for one, can’t recall the instigator of the other, needing to be attacked.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Was playing myself today so just caught the highlights and going off the comments on here it’s sounds like a decent performance - glad I was right with my prediction that we would sneak a goal and win 1-0. Also great to hear that PP was rocking during the game!

From the highlights, Morris looked like the best player on the park by a mile and it also looks like both defences were on top for most of the game (stats suggest only 1 shot on target in total across both teams).

I’m still fearful that we are 1 or 2 injuries from being in a difficult position due to lack of depth in some areas but you can’t knock 3 points against the league leaders!
Morris started quietly, but got more into the game. Sponsors gave Dacres-Cogley and Bristow MoM, though I’d probably have gone for Saunders. There were a lot of good performances to chose from.

I agree with your concern about injuries arising in the wrong area. Hopefully that can be addressed before the transfer window shuts.

Player
Manager
John King
A bit disappointing given the attractive opponent, although suspect visiting fans numbers were depleted by a lot of train cancellations.
I think it was a reasonable gate considering there were only 358 Orient fans. We are still averaging over 6,000 this season and attendances have held up pretty well.

As regards injuries, we have a small squad through necessity rather than choice so we will need some luck in that regard. However, we clearly have better options from the bench now.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I must be in the minority but I wasn't impressed with Orient at all, they passed it around nicely at times but without really threatening, for the money they are paying in wages I expected them to be much better than that.
Credit to us for the performance and win

Player
Manager
John King
I must be in the minority but I wasn't impressed with Orient at all, they passed it around nicely at times but without really threatening, for the money they are paying in wages I expected them to be much better than that.
Credit to us for the performance and win
They actually reminded me of us last season when we fell away from second place. A lot of good names in the side and a lot of possession, but no real pace and did not look like scoring.

However, they were well organised and Beccles was good at the back, despite the own goal.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think that’s one goal scored in their last seven games so it does sound familiar!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think it was a reasonable gate considering there were only 358 Orient fans. We are still averaging over 6,000 this season and attendances have held up pretty well.

As regards injuries, we have a small squad through necessity rather than choice so we will need some luck in that regard. However, we clearly have better options from the bench now.
I agree with you about the overall picture. Orient don’t bring big numbers of travelling fans and there were the transport issues. It’s a few hundred up on last season’s crowd, though that was the pre-Christmas game in a cold December with covid numbers on the rise. However, I’d have hoped we’d get above 6k against an opponent who top the table and are a footballing team. On the plus side, the non-regulars at yesterdays game saw an enjoyable game and are more likely to be back because of that.