• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Orient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This will be a tough one this - but not as tough as Huddersfield (who won at Carlisle last night) next Tuesday so 3 points is vital on Saturday.

Orient are a bit like us I think in that on paper, they have a half decent squad at this level but unlike us, are floating around in mid table.

They are a decent run though and were minutes away from beating Leeds last weekend. Plus they won at Charlton a few wks ago. Some good players too at this level. Thornton, McGleish to name a couple plus Chorley who I would like to think will get a good reception as he always put 100% in alongside Goodison forming a great partnership last season and only left for family reasons, plus I think he went to the effort of making a statement after he had left thanking the fans (how many players do that ?!?).

I'd take 4 out of 6 points from the next two games which should easily take us out of the bottom 4. Won't be easy mind........

I think barring any injuries, Les will be unchanged and keep 4-3-3

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Beat me to the post Sparky, and I was just looking at the league table. You look at Orient who are sitting comfortably in 13th position and then realise if we beat them on Saturday we would only be three points behind them.

It's a big IF though. It's going to be a tough game on Saturday. Their recent form is good not losing in the last 6 games. Winning 3, drawing 3 and are 4th in the recent form table (we are 12th in comparison). Here's the last few seasons results against us:

http://whitereview.co.uk/matchday/opponent.php?opp=82

The last few games at home have ended in draws and we need three points out of this one.

I think Les will stick with the 433 as he doesn't like chopping and changing much. I wonder if Baz will be on the bench after coming through another 90 minutes the other day?

Player
Liam Palmer
Logan is suspended, we've got a lad in from Leicester going to be playing right-back for next two games at least. Dunno his name.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Broomes & Goodi picked up knocks, we need them fit as stretched at back. Think Bas has another reserve fixture ahead, if gets through that ok may come into the picture. Realistically wouldn't expect him to feature until Marvin's loan runs out unless there's a crisis. Let's hope Leicester loanee an improvement on Burns. I actually think there's little to choose between Os and Udders on current form. We need to win one of the next two, minimum.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
it will be a tough game on saturday bu i think we will just nick it 1 0.

If only....

Three points from either of our two home games coming up would be a real achievement. Dont forget the players Orient get on loan from the big London clubs - puts our two local miserly grabbers in their right perspective.
Huddersfield resources leave us floundering. So beating either would be great and much better than a couple of draws. I hope we go flat out on Saturday forgetting the Huddersfield game altogether, the lift it would give the team to win would be a real boost all round.

Heard a whisper that Charlie Barnett will be leaving to join a french side next season, and they will be playing in Ligue 1, so that would be a great move for him but , I think, a poor one for Rovers. He'll be out of contract so no fee and a potentially very good young player lost to us - something I think we can ill afford.

Lets hope Saturday brings us a good result.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Logan is suspended, we've got a lad in from Leicester going to be playing right-back for next two games at least. Dunno his name.

Luke O'Neill, where did you hear that, as you're well ahead of the game. No mention I could find elsewhere yesterday, today confirmed as coming for a month.

Will be an interesting team choice for Les. Teenager Luke has 1 League Cup start and 1 sub appearance for Leicester, so can hardly be termed experienced. However, Edds is better deployed in midfield, so unless one of Broomes/McCready is used at right-back, presume he will start.

drwhoman

O'Neill is obviously a decent prospect - has played for England Under 17s - I am sure he will start. Makes you wonder why we have to go to Leicester for such an inexperienced player. There are several decent full backs at Liverpool who never (and probably never will!) get near the first team - just cooling their heels hoping for the odd reserve team game. Such a waste - and Liverpool make such a lot of fuss about the Academy. Academy for what? How to get disillusioned before drifting off back to whichever country they came from!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
When was the last time one of their youngsters broke through from their academy? There are probably some good young players who would do a good job at a lower level though.

I don't see the problem with Edds at right back as I think he does a decent job there and move Barnett or Mahon into the midfield if we need them.

Not sure if there's any point in getting in an inexperienced young player for a month when you've got more experienced adequate cover.

evo_trfc

You've got to laugh how much football changed in a week! After the oldham game i thought that was our season over, Now 4 points outof the last 6 makes it seem all better again! To be a fickle football fan! That said we are knowhere near being safe yet, We've got some horrible games coming up, We just need to keep winning or taking points away from home! I still think we have a poor squad of players but that's out of our hands if Johnson wants to cut wage bills then at the end of the day thats his decision!

However Leyton Orient are a team i really expect us to beat, I said the same about the Bristol Rovers game a while back and we won so i'd be very dissapointed with anything less than a point! There 12th i believe and 6 points better off! The league from 22nd to 10th is so tight, Every one is beating each other atm! We need to be beating teams around us if we want to stay up and Leyton Orient are one of these teams, 2-1 Rovers Sordell and Curran!​

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I'm sure Les' team will approach the game in the right manner and go out to win the game.

However I'm predicting that quite a few of our fans will moan, and get on the lad's backs because Orient are a very good side, in top form and doing very well on their travels. Previous posters in this thread have said they're expecting three points, etc... but I'm expecting a difficult game.

In fact, I'd more than settle, would be delighted with a point from this match. Would bite the hand off that offered a draw.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
NBDH, most of the people posting on this thread have hedged their bets rather than saying they expect us to win. At the start of the season, I thought Orient were in with a chance of the play-offs and while that's unlikely, they are a decent side in a good run of form. However drawing all our remaining games will get us relegated, that's why I feel we need to beat either Orient or Udders.

Ian, my concern with Edds is his lack of pace at right-back, put up a pacy player up against him, as at Scunthorpe last May and he struggles. Particularly as we haven't got any pace in midfield without Shuker and with Curran playing on the left of our front three, to keep their left side pegged back. Les seems to have indicated he wants to keep the same shape of team so it's likely O'Neill will play. I do have concerns about putting an inexperienced kid, who's only been here a couple of days, but only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.