• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v guiseley

Player
aldo
same team aagain please . Great to have scored lots an won in front of a good crowd for a change. As we dont do it very often . I will be there at last had to go to doctors was having withdrawal symptoms lol. Lets hope some of the stay away fans get back on the train . . Hope connor keeps firing. We need to keep winning . An realy go for it . Now question time . When was the last time we scored 3 or more in 4 consecutive games . Thats wat we have done . I have looked an cant find out . In my 40 years supporting rovers i dont think we have

M

Mal

Sutton to beat Macclesfield to get them both in sight assuming Tranmere win outstanding game and Guiseley.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think a draw would be best between Sutton and Macc. I still think Sutton are the stronger side and more likely to stay the distance.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’ve not seen Sutton play this season, but would class Macclesfield as the best NL opponent we’ve faced to date in this campaign. Of course if we win all our remaining fixtures it becomes academic...

Guiseley will not try to play football like Fylde, instead they will be like Wrexham/Dover, men behind the ball, lots of niggles and time-wasting. They haven’t the quality of those two, but our previous encounters point to a tight game. It’s not one I would like to go a goal down in and be chasing. See Cole was on the bench, but didn’t come on v Fylde. A flash of brilliance from him could be pivotal if we’re struggling to break Guiseley down. I think we’ll win this, but just, in front of a crowd of around 5.5k

Player
Manager
John King
Aldershot are by far the best all round team I have seen, albeit we were terrible in that match. Macclesfield play nicer football than Sutton. However, like Lincoln last season, I think the latter have the combination of strength and skill which is more effective at this level. They are probably financially stronger than Macc as well, after their cup exploits last season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Haven’t seen Aldershot either, though the fact they’ve not been able to field a full bench in recent games suggests a lack of finance behind them. Sutton have the plastic pitch conundrum to resolve, as the rules stand, they couldn’t go up without changing their playing surface and if they don’t and finish top relegation instead. Hard to plan for all eventualities for them.

Player
Manager
John King
I think if Sutton had to install a grass pitch to get into the League, they would do.

drwhoman

Fair comment RLC. How much would it cost initially? Maybe 250k? Also, I imagine that maintenance costs would be higher than for a synthetic pitch but in the overall scheme of things I would suggest that it would not be a an overstretch for a Division Two club, provided that it was reasonably sound financially to start with. Let us hope that it is a decision they do not have to make!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Five or six weeks ago we'd have had some concerns about this game because we know exactly how Guisley set up and we'd be asking where a winning goal would come from.
It's all change now - more a case of whose not likely to score.
We'll still have the odd bad game but I doubt it will be Saturday.
I'm more worried that we follow the recent Christmas/New Year reverse fixture trend of win one lose one!

M

Mal

Aldershot are by far the best all round team I have seen, albeit we were terrible in that match. Macclesfield play nicer football than Sutton. However, like Lincoln last season, I think the latter have the combination of strength and skill which is more effective at this level. They are probably financially stronger than Macc as well, after their cup exploits last season.
Lincoln lost seven in forty six games. Sutton, like Tranmere, have lost seven so far, Macclesfield., six. I therefore think sutton and Macclesfield will not fare much better than Tranmere. Indeed. Sutton have conceded seven in two games then go and score four so unpredictable. Of course, alwill depend on whether Tranmere continue their scoring form but assuming so, I think the top two will be caught by February. Just my opinion. I don't think any team in this division have been as good and consistent as Lincoln were.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree that the division is much weaker than last season and I expect us to go top within the next few weeks. Famous last words.......

Player
aldo
yes a lot weaker would have thought that the pools and orient might have been stronger . we just need to keep the run going an see where it takes us

Player
aldo
will be a shame to lose chester if we do have to stay in this league next year are crowds will be down and sad to see

drwhoman

It was unfortunate that we were competing with a really decent team at this level last season. Lincoln appear to be holding their own in Div Two while FGR (the weaithy man’s indulgence) and the previous winners, Cheltenham, are having a more difficult time of it.

Player
Manager
John King
My concern in this match is not the pure football, but what goes on off the ball. Under Paul Cox's management you can be sure that Guiseley will play hoofball and time waste and disrupt the flow of the game as much as they can. I think it is vital we don't get frustrated and get drawn into any nonsense: staying patient and keeping ten men on the pitch will be key for us. As suggested above, if we score the first goal early it could be a rout, as the visitors are a poor team, despite a couple of decent results.

It will be interesting to see what Mellon does squad wise. We have a tougher match two days later and I don't think the same eleven can play every game over the Christmas period. I would not be surprised if Hughes and McDonough started, or at least played a fair chunk of the second half.

I agree with Boz's attendance prediction but think the victory could be comfortable.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
if we keep playing with the pace and keep getting the great balls in the box . we will be ok . we need to be brutal and show no them no respect . its abt time we started kicking some asses

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My concern in this match is not the pure football, but what goes on off the ball. Under Paul Cox's management you can be sure that Guiseley will play hoofball and time waste and disrupt the flow of the game as much as they can. I think it is vital we don't get frustrated and get drawn into any nonsense: staying patient and keeping ten men on the pitch will be key for us. As suggested above, if we score the first goal early it could be a rout, as the visitors are a poor team, despite a couple of decent results.

It will be interesting to see what Mellon does squad wise. We have a tougher match two days later and I don't think the same eleven can play every game over the Christmas period. I would not be surprised if Hughes and McDonough started, or at least played a fair chunk of the second half.

I agree with Boz's attendance prediction but think the victory could be comfortable.

I'd hope we're aiming to keep eleven men on the pitch ;)

While I agree the trip to Fylde will be tougher, Guiseley have the ability to make this game difficult for us. It would be a surprise if we started with (m)any changes from Boxing Day. There's no merit in starting with someone like McDonough, who seems incapable of scoring, in a game against a side who are going to prove hard to break down. Unless Kirby is available or we play one up front, which is unlikely in a home game, it will be Norwood and Cook. There are more options elsewhere, Ridehalgh for Clarke, Gumbs for another central defender at the back, Hughes and possibly Harris[don't know if his absence from the bench has been a selection choice or a fitness issue]in midfield. Still expecting no more than a couple of changes from that last game at most.

Agree that this league is weaker than last season. Whether we go and stay top is to some extent dependent on if we can hold onto the likes of Mottley-Henry and Banks, if Ben Tollitt's second comeback is the real deal and avoiding the string of injuries that we suffered and Lincoln swerved last season.

Player
Manager
John King
I'd hope we're aiming to keep eleven men on the pitch ;)
Too many Christmas sherries.........

MM has already said Clarke is full of energy and will start, so I think the changes will be elsewhere. McDonough is not good enough, but it is a punishing workload for Cook and Norwood if they are expected to play every minute in the holiday period. Using Cole in some kind of forward role might be an option.