• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Gateshead

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
August seems a long way away now, when we went to the NE in our second game of the season and won comfortably at the heed. After an erratic start, the visitors changed manager and under former Halifax boss Aspin have climbed the table to the fringes of the play-offs. Danny Johnson, one of the early Adams loan signings now plays for them.

It doesn't seem like Rovers have picked up any new injuries, so almost a full squad to choose from, assuming Jay Harris is banned for two games. Reservations about Higdon aside, I wouldn't be displeased with starting the same side that won at the Deva, with Hughes in central midfield.

Predictions: Despite their relatively proximity, Gateshead don't travel that well and doubt they'll bring more than 100 in a crowd of about 5k. Likewise their team aren't at the best on the road and my gut feeling is Rovers might edge a tight game

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure that Boz is right about The Heed's away record, as they have actually won more on the road (eight) than us. However, I too would start with same team as last Sunday and I agree with Boz's attendance prediction.

In addition to Johnson, who I thought looked quite useful when he was here but probably had too much youth and potential for Adams, Gateshead have Ryan Bowman up front who has been among the goals this season. However, as a footballing side I get the feeling Gateshead are the kind of team we quite enjoy playing against. If we start with Jennings and Hughes in the middle again, it will be interesting to see how they cope against a higher class of opposition than we faced last week.

In reality, nothing less than a win will do and a defeat would be disastrous. There is a bit of pressure on every game now, which the players will hopefully relish.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Although we are still clinging on to fifth place, we are in a false position with three clubs (Gateshead, Eastleigh and Dover) likely to overtake us once they play their games in hand. This makes the matches we have coming up against each of them genuine six-pointers.

Having already played 120 minutes this week and being knocked out of the FA Trophy, we should be feeling fresher and happier than our opponents. If we can only have a really good start and get a 2-0 lead by half-time, Gateshead's fatigue could set in and we might emerge comfortable winners. However, we are notoriously poor at home this season and Gateshead have a good away record. The Heed have dropped fewer points on their travels than we have at PP! An away win wouldn't surprise me, a home win would impress me but a draw looks the most likely result, perhaps 1-1. In any case, I expect it to be tight with no more than one goal in it. Thankfully, Eastleigh are at Braintree and Dover at Woking, so let's hope they both slip up.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Tricky game this think we will just about win it 2 1

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Think we will win 3 - 1. Disappointed to see Sutton out on loan, but reckon we have good cover and nice to know a recall is an option as stated elsewhere. It would be good to see Higdon score and show benefit from game time. Otherwise we need to get a spread of goals from around the team. Mcnulty has chipped in, but would be great if he and Ikenwei could be a regular threat. Howevr nice to have a reliable partnership in place at centre back.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Arghh, Grimsby beat Forest Green tonight to put a bit more pressure on.

Player
Manager
John King
Arghh, Grimsby beat Forest Green tonight to put a bit more pressure on.

Realistically, we were never going to catch them though. Fourth or fifth place will do fine if we can get there.

Having watched the game FGR did not look great, which gives us encouragement if we do make the play-offs.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Realistically, we were never going to catch them though. Fourth or fifth place will do fine if we can get there.

Having watched the game FGR did not look great, which gives us encouragement if we do make the play-offs.
Second, third, fourth or fifth - it doesn't matter. Although I think we'll probably fall short, if indeed we do reach the play-offs, we'll be on such a good run of form we must have a good chance of beating anyone.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not what we need but 0-0 for me.

Would be nice if higdon got on the scoresheet though

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Think we will win 3 - 1. Disappointed to see Sutton out on loan, but reckon we have good cover and nice to know a recall is an option as stated elsewhere. It would be good to see Higdon score and show benefit from game time.

Great result - wish I had had a few quid on the score as predicted, as I was hopeless on Sky Super 6 today! Norwood and less obviously to some, Mekki looking like top signings:)

Keep it going and stay on a roll and hope the others crack.

Player
Manager
John King
A good performance and a deserved victory for Rovers. As I thought it might be, the game was very open, which suited us. Gateshead played some decent football and some of their approach play was quite impressive, but they are the kind of side we are comfortable playing against, as it is the physical, organised teams we tend to struggle with. For seventy minutes I thought we were the better side without being scintillating, although some of our football at 3-0 early in the second half was really good. However, after The Heed pulled one back against the run of play we did our usual trick of sitting too deep and inviting pressure, although we saw the game out fairly comfortably in the end.

The 4-4-2 formation seems to suit us at home, and with the present line up we have a better blend of youth and experience in the side, with genuine pace out wide. Individually, I thought Jake Kirby had another good game and did brilliantly for the third goal, with a great run and cross. Higdon had his best game for us, linking the play well and showing more of an understanding with Norwood and taking his goal well. Defensively we looked solid again, although I thought Davies should have done better with their goal. Man of the match, however, was Adam Mekki who was always willing to receive the ball and take players on and received a deserved ovation from the SWA when he went off. He is becoming a real cult hero among the Rovers fans.

Credit to the players for negotiating what looked a tricky game quite comfortably. Just disappointing that Dover and Braintree won yet again, although we do now have a bit of breathing space to Wrexham in sixth. It looks like the fight for the final play off place could be a showdown between Dover and ourselves and next week's game could define the whole season.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. Our first win by more than the odd goal since we won at FGR and the first win against another promotion chasing team since the same game.

While Braintree have consolidated their position today, Eastleigh now have a mountain to climb. I'm not convinced Braintree have the resources to sustain their challenge, so I think we still might catch them. As things stand, I am now more confident of our chances of going up than at any time since probably the last time we played Gateshead. As you say, let's see how things stand in seven days time.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
I thought that was an excellent performance in which we were always in control. We thoroughly deserved the win and everyone played well. At one point it looked like it could be 4 or 5-0 but we got a bit nervous when Gateshead scored. First time in ages that I have left PP feeling really satisfied with the performance as well as the result. If we can keep this up, who knows?

Player
Manager
John King
I thought that was an excellent performance in which we were always in control. We thoroughly deserved the win and everyone played well. At one point it looked like it could be 4 or 5-0 but we got a bit nervous when Gateshead scored. First time in ages that I have left PP feeling really satisfied with the performance as well as the result. If we can keep this up, who knows?

I agree. I can actually think of numerous away performances this season that were as good as, or better than, today's display. However, I think today was our best home performance since Bromley in October, which just emphasises how we have underperformed at Prenton Park.

With the 4-4-2 formation and the current line-up we seem to have found the right balance between defence and attack, and we are controlling the midfield due to the assured performances of Jennings and Hughes. Hopefully we can carry this form into the very tough home games to come.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
I also think playing Mekki and Kirby is helping the side by adding youth and pace. It didn't work a couple of weeks ago when GTF, McNulty and Higdon all played against Cheltenham (despite what Brabin claimed). In fairness to Brabin, he obviously realised this and made changes. He should stick with this team now.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
"And although the hosts actually created relatively few chances, this was as comfortable a win as they have had all season."

Liverpool Echo called that one spot on.
Over the season, thus far, we've been mugged at home by inferior teams. Not today.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The balance of the team is spot on at the moment. Back four are solid, midfield too with Jennings excellent since returning from suspension, Mekki and Kirby out wide and now with Higdon up to support the superb Norwood up front we are looking like a good team playing with confidence.

Yesterday was comfortable and also refreshing to see a few goals.

Quite an exciting run in now with a handful of teams battling for those play off places.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A decent performance and a comfortable win, I was surprised they scored as they created very little all game. Onwards and upwards to Guisley on Tuesday now

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah it wasn't a great goal I think we switched off a little bit at the back. They did struggle to create mainly due to our excellent back line.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good win, slightly disappointing crowd though.