• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Eastleigh

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Next up for Rovers are a managerless Eastleigh side who have spent a small fortune in the last few years, have decent players at this level, but are currently in patchy form after the somewhat surprising departure of ex-Rovers assistant Richard Hill.

Given the respective form of the two sides this match does not appear as daunting as it did when the fixtures came out, but the Spitfires are still a dangerous team and we will need to be at our best to win the game.

As on Tuesday night, Brabin has some tough decisions to make. Personally, I would stick with Maynard in midfield: although Jennings has been excellent in recent weeks we look a more dynamic side with Lois in the middle. Up front it is difficult to choose between Norwood and Margetts, but I would probably go with the former.

With Forest Green winning last night, and looking pretty impressive, Rovers need to maintain momentum and stay in touch with the leaders.

Eastleigh will only bring about 50 fans, but the way we have been playing in recent weeks I will be disappointed if the gate is under 5,000.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Richard Hill was unlucky. After reaching the play-offs last season, Eastleigh went through August unbeaten but then suffered a number of injuries and a sickness bug. They went five games without a win in September before Hill resigned. His assistant Chris Todd is now in charge while they search for a successor. After winning at Wrexham in his first match, they lost at home to Braintree on Saturday and didn't play midweek. So they will be fresh and Chris Todd wants the job permanently, so they will be no pushover.

But this is the sort of game we have to win to stay in contention. If we draw, I won't be celebrating 10 games unbeaten, because we'll have lost another two points and inevitably will have slipped down the table. If we can play to our potential and get a fair run of the dice, we should win - perhaps by the odd goal.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with the above that this will be a tough assignment for rovers.

Also agree with RLC on team selection. Despite Jennos good form of late, Maynard is a genuine goal threat from midfield and should start, especially at home.

I too would bring Norwood back who hopefully will be chomping at the bit if back in the starting 11.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A hard game to call. Under acting boss Chris Todd, Eastleigh did better than Rovers by winning at Wrexham, then lost at home to Braintree. They have some recognised names up front in Jack Midson and James Constable, the rest of their side is less familiar.

I think Brabin did the right thing by sticking with a winning line-up to start at Wrexham. Selecting for this game is harder. I think he will opt to recall Jennings. Although I haven't seen how Maynard-Harris work in central midfield, the reports appear positive. Up front, think Norwood will start,but whether paired with Mangan/Margetts or in a more defensive formation with Maynard in the hole, I don't know. Elsewhere, perhaps it is time to recall Ridehalgh and rest Hill, who was apparently flagging at Wrexham,but otherwise, injuries permitting I'd leave unchanged.

I don't share RLCs optimism about the crowd size, about the same as Bromley is my guess. Don't see Rovers keeping a clean sheet here, either a score draw or the odd goal settling it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we are to stay in touch at the top, we have to win our home games and I think we will. 2-0 with Jennings and Norwood recalled.

Player
Manager
John King
One of those days. Every major incident in the game that could have gone against us did, and in the end we were unfortunate not to get the point which we deserved over the ninety minutes. Eastleigh were a well organised, but niggly and cynical side who came to do a job on us, and did in the end unfortunately.

The first half was tight but I thought we were slightly the better side, and Mangan's penalty miss was obviously a turning point. Ultimately, it was Hogan's slip for the second goal that killed us, just an unfortunate error by a player who has been excellent this season. Even when down to nine men I thought we were the better team and I was proud of the character we showed in the last twenty minutes. However, there are lessons to be learned today. I thought we were naive in allowing ourselves to be wound up by the opposition and Riley was bullied by Constable for the majority of the game.

The biggest concern is not the defeat, but the injuries to Dawson and Mangan which both looked serious. Two massive players for us.

A gap has opened up at the top again and it is vital that we get back to winning ways on Tuesday.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
One of those games when nothing went right for us. First half wasn't a great spectacle but rovers were the better side. Had the penalty gone in it would have given us a real boost but naturally the opposite happened.

They took the lead with a basic header from a corner and then Maynard was stupid having got booked in the first half for a tackle which could have been a red, his desperate lunge when on a yellow was naive. No one could legislate for Hogans mistake and from then on it was only going one way.

Constables sending off gave us hope but Jennos goal wasn't enough. Had Norwood finished off a very good chance in the first half things could have been different. Ref was poor but can't blame him for the missed pen, sending off, or hogans mistake.

As RLC says the biggest concern is how long Dawson and Mangan may be out with what looked like serious groin and hamstring injuries respectively.

I still think we're short in certain areas. Right wing Jackson did ok today but I don't think neither he or Mekki are good enough. I'm still not convinced by Matt Hill or Riley either long term.

Tuesday should be interesting against a barrow side that lost 5-0 today

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sparky I agree it was definately one of those games. The lads got clapped off at full time which says a lot. I thought they battled well especially when down to nine men. Although I thought Jackson was awful today. Hill IMO is a very good experienced pro. His height can sometimes be an issue but I would have him in the starting XI every time.

The referee was atrocious today. Worst I've seen for some time. Eastleigh a bunch of ale house players did a job on us (never one for the physical battle) and on the ref too. Hopefully like RLC says, we can win on Tuesday to keep us in distance of the top. Going to put this one to bed and just hope Mangan and Dawson are OK.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sounds like a really depressing game. I said before the match we should win with a fair share of luck - and I'm sure we would have, but on the day it seems everything went against us. It's one of those rare days when we'd have been better off giving them the points and not playing the match. To lose three points is bad enough, but we've probably lost three of our best players for the next few games. I'm pleased GB highlighted the positives and team spirit should be good. Nice to hear the crowd were fully behind the team at the end. I hope we have enough players left to fill the bench on Tuesday. Glad it's Barrow at home.

Player
Manager
John King
Hill IMO is a very good experienced pro. His height can sometimes be an issue but I would have him in the starting XI every time.

Completely agree with this. I do share some of Sparky's concerns about the right wingers, although Mekki's workrate can't be questioned. Having one or two players in the team that don't have great quality is not really an issue when you are at full strength, but with two of our big hitters potentially missing for several weeks we may be found wanting in the final third. I get the feeling Ridehalgh may be recalled on Tuesday in the left midfield role after a good second half today, as I don't think Brabin would fancy Jackson and Mekki on opposite wings.

At least the injuries have come in a period where we have a couple of cup games and fewer league matches. Hopefully the impact on our league position won't be too great (although FGR next week suddenly looks a lot tougher).