• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Crewe

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crewe

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Crewe
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, October 14, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, October 14, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I described the scoreline as flattering because Rovers were more comfortable in the games v Colchester and at Sutton, yet didn’t win by a 3 goal margin.

There were lot of decent performances tonight, both central defenders, Merrie and Nevitt were particular stand outs. I would opt for Morris as MoM. Not a flawless performance by any stretch, but he tried to make things happen and was instrumental in the build up to our opening goal.

drwhoman

The Simeu/Turnbull partnership has been the key to our improvement. Their quality inspires all those around them. Fingers crossed that they both stay fit! Whoever negotiated our loan of Simeu is to be congratulated!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Simeu has had a lot of praise on here tonight, and rightly so, but I also think Turnbull has been brilliant lately and deserves a mention. He reads the game so well, he's physical and dominant and they compliment each other really well! Long may that continue.
Yes I agree. Having a right foot/left foot combination also helps and turnbull is proving to be an excellent signing. Reaching his peak and does well all the things a centre back needs to

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Crewe’s manager summed it up well

Morris said: “The best team won comfortably. We were outfought, out-thought, out-worked, and we conceded three poor goals.

Reactions: Ian

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
5 in a row 450 mins no goals conceded, and we scored 3 and a forward got 2!!!!!! well played Rover's manager of the month incoming also winning and playing well in front of 8k that makes a change to the freezing teams of the last few years

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The Simeu/Turnbull partnership has been the key to our improvement. Their quality inspires all those around them. Fingers crossed that they both stay fit! Whoever negotiated our loan of Simeu is to be congratulated!
He was due to go to Hibs when we moved for him.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Completely agree with all comments regarding our defence, it surely is the best in the division. Morris coming back has made a big difference and we are reaping the rewards of having a settled team and system. Some more winnable games coming up so no reason that this momentum cant carry on!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Thought Chris Merrie, was very good last night protecting the excellent centre back pairing which is now giving a really solid look at the back.
If the spine is solid, then that will help expand our play, allowing more freedom to play with confidence.

We never played out from the back last night either!

Really pleased with our performance levels and the results. Can't argue with the clean sheets!

Happy days!

Should rest all eleven Tuesday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wonder if they will allocate more?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A mixed bag of results today, but we remain in a healthy ninth position, only two points off the play offs and five behind the automatic places with a game in hand.

Stevenage could only muster a draw at Gillingham but another surprise package, Carlisle, leapfrogged us into the top seven.

Dave Challinor has (or had) a fan club with an element of our support, but Stockport were beaten heavily again at home and he must be under some pressure given the money they have spent.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've just had a look at our season so far. That start was really bad with just seven points from our first eight games. Even five wins on the trot couldn't bring us up to higher than ninth this evening.

However, four of those five early defeats were against sides currently in the promotion zones. Our recent run has included wins against two of our promotion rivals. What's made the difference? Simeu's arrival has surely helped a lot. We lost the first two games he played in, but won the rest. However, I think the change from 5-3-2 to 4-4-2 has been the key. That sparked our revival with the win at Salford. With Davies out, we only had two top quality centre backs, so it made sense to play them in a 4-4-2.

drwhoman

I've just had a look at our season so far. That start was really bad with just seven points from our first eight games. Even five wins on the trot couldn't bring us up to higher than ninth this evening.

However, four of those five early defeats were against sides currently in the promotion zones. Our recent run has included wins against two of our promotion rivals. What's made the difference? Simeu's arrival has surely helped a lot. We lost the first two games he played in, but won the rest. However, I think the change from 5-3-2 to 4-4-2 has been the key. That sparked our revival with the win at Salford. With Davies out, we only had two top quality centre backs, so it made sense to play them in a 4-4-2.
Agree BBTC. Interesting That Merrie is now getting a run after so long on the periphery! MM clearly feels that the current system suits him.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

Morris coming back in has made a big difference

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Morris coming back in has made a big difference
Yes, I think the return of Morris and the arrival of Simeu is actually more significant than the change of formation. If we were playing, say, Byrne and Turnbull as a centre back pairing in a 442 it is debatable whether we would have improved much at all (because of Byrne's weaknesess, not Turnbull's).

I also think several of the youngsters have settled after a shaky start and the squad as a whole has gelled. For example, Bristow looked suspect defensively in the early matches but has been outstanding in recent games.