• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Bradford

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Bradford

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Bradford
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, September 13, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Cook was marginally in front of Doohan and had barely any run to the ball, so I feel Doohan should have been able to read that he was the only option to interject. Can’t argue about the defenders going AWOL, but the position of Doohan’s arms look like he intended to catch the ball. In my opinion he should have been more assertive in the situation.
I’m guessing we’re going to have to cordially agree to disagree on this one and we ain’t going to be able to change it (if only we had the DeLorean!)
I have not watched a replay of the incident, but in real time I thought Doohan did not see Cook's movement as he was fixated on the ball. You can argue that is a lack of anticipation on the part of Doohan, but he would not have expected a player to be allowed into that area completely unopposed.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Tragic for the player and not much better for us.

He is on a pay-as-you-play deal apparently, so we will hopefully be able to bring an out of contract player in.
The problem is any out of contract players will take time to get fully fit and match fit, time which we haven't got.

Player
Manager
John King
The problem is any out of contract players will take time to get fully fit and match fit, time which we haven't got.
Yes, the situation is a mess. Not so much Glatzel, but having Mumbongo out long term in addition to Glatzel's issues.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I have not watched a replay of the incident, but in real time I thought Doohan did not see Cook's movement as he was fixated on the ball. You can argue that is a lack of anticipation on the part of Doohan, but he would not have expected a player to be allowed into that area completely unopposed.
Something we’ll probably agree on is that Cook is a wily old fox (31 is old in my son’s eyes; I’m ancient!).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They just got the strategy all wrong opting for younger, cheaper players, or risky signings that have serious injury concerns (Glatzel, Mumbongo, Nolan). All dictated by budget IMO. However we have been pretty unfortunate with injuries too (Davies, Morris).

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They just got the strategy all wrong opting for younger, cheaper players, or risky signings that have serious injury concerns (Glatzel, Mumbongo, Nolan). All dictated by budget IMO. However we have been pretty unfortunate with injuries too (Davies, Morris).
The budget isn't the issue it's how it's been used, we've gone from one extreme to the other with the squad and it's already smacked us in the face.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If the budget was in place, there has to be some extreme naivity if they decided on this strategy, whoever they is, as we do not know how many people were involved in the recruitment process. It makes you wonder how much sway Vaughan had, possibly too much.

Player
Manager
John King
I would guess the budget is middling for the division. I very much doubt it is 'top third', as has been suggested in the past. That might have been the case in previous seasons, but not this one.

If the budget is lower relative to previous seasons, it makes the current strategy all the riskier.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would guess the budget is middling for the division. I very much doubt it is 'top third', as has been suggested in the past. That might have been the case in previous seasons, but not this one.

If the budget is lower relative to previous seasons, it makes the current strategy all the riskier.
It should be covered in the q and a.

ADD

Player
Norwood
For those suggesting Doohan was not at fault it might be worth watching the replay! He never made any move for the ball whatsoever and his hands never got above head height - that was 110% Keeper's ball any day of the week - the fact the defenders weren't there makes it worseI agree but he should be dealing with that.
He was dropped last year when he lost confidence in the box (if ever had it) and sadly nothing this year has suggested that he has improved. I have read that it was Murphy and not MM who pushed for his return so if true it is on him - either way it is a poor decision and surely Hewelt should replace him given how good he has looked in the games he played or else Murphy himself.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
For those suggesting Doohan was not at fault it might be worth watching the replay! He never made any move for the ball whatsoever and his hands never got above head height - that was 110% Keeper's ball any day of the week - the fact the defenders weren't there makes it worseI agree but he should be dealing with that.
He was dropped last year when he lost confidence in the box (if ever had it) and sadly nothing this year has suggested that he has improved. I have read that it was Murphy and not MM who pushed for his return so if true it is on him - either way it is a poor decision and surely Hewelt should replace him given how good he has looked in the games he played or else Murphy himself.

Cook got the run on Turnbull so is also to blame as well not just Doohan.
Doohan does not deserve to be dropped currently as by and large hre has been good this season

Player
Manager
John King
Doohan is a perfectly good young keeper and does not deserve to be dropped for one debatable and partial error.

As a young player learning the game he will make mistakes on occasions, but he has not gone missing for big chunks of matches like certain others.

It is ironic that some of those jumping on his back also criticise Mellon for failing to give youngsters opportunities......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I think it can be argued that more money should have been invested in the playing staff and perhaps we should have resigned ourselves to more boring but safer football again, it is wrong in my view to totally absolve Micky from any blame for our current difficulties. There have certainly been games including Tuesday night where he has not made best use of the playing resources at his disposal. Limited though those may be.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think anyone is trying to completely absolve him of responsibility, they are simply saying he should not bear the brunt of all of the criticism. If your recruitment is poor, you are in a difficult position before the manager has ever made a team selection.

For what it is worth, I have no problem with us living within our means financially if that is what we have to do. I don't even have an issue with the youth development policy, if we make sacrifices in the short term to benefit in the long term. However, I think there needs to be more transparency about what the club's short term aims actually are, as the assumption seems to be that we can challenge for promotion every season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Can’t see Doohan being dropped anytime soon and he probably doesn’t deserve to be yet. But it is a concern and we go to Salford on Saturday where he gifted them a goal last season.

Agree with boz that Burton deserves a start now. He can’t be any worse and Nevitt badly needs some competition.

Feel for glatzel but not a shock. Hopefully it won’t cost us anything and surely somewhere we can bring in a for striker. Even if taking a punt on a national league player

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I don't think anyone is trying to completely absolve him of responsibility, they are simply saying he should not bear the brunt of all of the criticism. If your recruitment is poor, you are in a difficult position before the manager has ever made a team selection.

For what it is worth, I have no problem with us living within our means financially if that is what we have to do. I don't even have an issue with the youth development policy, if we make sacrifices in the short term to benefit in the long term. However, I think there needs to be more transparency about what the club's short term aims actually are, as the assumption seems to be that we can challenge for promotion every season.
Unfortunately, we have no way of living within our means, nor does football in general. Money is the reason why clubs are in with a chance of gaining promotion and going on to be at a higher level. It is well known that having more money on wages for talent is the overriding priority for players when deciding which club to go to.
That is why we were no where near the preseason bookies favourites.
And it is worth noting that clubs in the National league have lured league players who could of have played at league one level.
it is not the the budget as such, it is the wages and bonuses, signing on fee and length of contract, the small print is important for add ons and such.
Players don't leave if they are wanted and it is known that if a player wants to stay at the end of his contract, he is not offered lower wages and a worse contract. The club is known throughout football for doing this.
Until our contracts are worth having, we will be missing out on the quality we all want. We have no youth as such now coming through, due to the lack of a youth development/academy which served us so well the last thirty years.
We need another Warwick Rimmer and a wage structure to stop the revolving door of journeyman players that are not good enough for the level the supporters deserve. Enough of the rollercoaster ride. Stability in league one is possible but our last four seasons of poor quality recruitment is down to the inability to sustain financial infrastructure in a club that deserves better than what We are seeing!