• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers Reserves 1 Swindle 3

Player
Goodison
As for Goodi, yes Daniels was poor but did anyone remember when Goodi played against Swindon away? He was awful.

As addressed above, the week before he was a rock and was in team of the week. You can't judge a player on one game, especially a player with the record of Goodison.

M

Mal

We are having a bad patch. No point in being a supporter if it is fair-weather. I am therefore glad to see constructive comments on here, unlike some other threads.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I believe the striker we are after is Tom Eaves at Bolton, a youngster who had a decent record on loan at Bristol Rovers earlier in the season (7 goals in 14 games). The fact that six clubs are after him shows just what we are up against trying to bring players in.

And there are Brentford signing Bradley Wright-Phillips until the end of the season......

Brentford have wage bill in the region of £5 million so can afford BWP. The striker we are after is not Tom Eaves. I dont know who it is but he is at a premiership club and is supposed to have experience.

Also Gibson is due back at the club possibly tomorrow.

Player
Goodison
All season our main weakness has been the lack of squad depth. PJ missed the opportunity to really push the boat out and sign a few extra decent players in January to bolster the squad before the inevitable injuries that occur around this time of year.

Our only real hope for promotion is that our key players get fit again, or the players who have come in for them show a bit of guts and take the chance to step up. I think Ronnie needs to say to the players that quite a few of them wouldn't be playing if everyone was fit, and they're not going to be there when everyone is fit again if they don't improve.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
PJ missed the opportunity to really push the boat out and sign a few extra decent players in January to bolster the squad before the inevitable injuries that occur around this time of year.

I am not sure this is actually true to be honest. I believe that we offered megabucks (by our standards) for O'Grady and Madine but the players would not come. We can't force players from a higher level to come here against their will.

Player
Goodison
Megabucks by our standards are probably pocket money for everyone else!

Player
Goodison
£2500 a week for Madine

That's probably about our ceiling, I think we offered Kay that before he went to Huddersfield. I also think Ronnie missed a trick by not bringing in a centre midfielder rather than focussing on strikers, teams are always less willing to lose strikers and a lot of our problems stem from the absence of Wallace, not JLAA/Cassidy.

Player
Manager
John King
The point is, we matched Wednesday's asking price and the club agreed to loan the players to us (Jones could not wait to get Madine here apparently). So the failure to sign the players was not down to PJ.

Player
Manager
John King
I also think Ronnie missed a trick by not bringing in a centre midfielder rather than focussing on strikers, teams are always less willing to lose strikers and a lot of our problems stem from the absence of Wallace, not JLAA/Cassidy.

Perhaps, but you have to bear in mind that in January we still expected Wallace's injury to be relatively short term. The injury was misdiagnosed and it is only in the last couple of weeks that the full extent of the problem was identified.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There's no point at this stage trying to blame the club for not signing decent replacements. Ronnie has been trying since Xmas. Players are turning us down.

The quality isn't there but it's coming back in the form of JLAA, Gibson and Palmer in a few games. Let's not forget, we are only a couple of points off first. And Ronnie is still looking for a target man.

Calls for a 40-year old to come back into the side is premature. We will improve.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would agree that it's unfair to be too critical of PJ regarding funding.; as others have pointed out is more a question of decent players not wanting to come here.

However, I do feel Ronnie's judgement has been a little suspect in certain areas. Amoo may have played brilliantly for Bury when they beat us, but his showings in a Rovers shirt haven't come anywhere near that. Bell-Baggie is more able to take on and beat a man, while Stockton, for all his inexperience appears more likely to get a goal. Although I accept that's still not very likely at all. However Cole was in the right position to get a header in, when the game was still 0-0; being in the right place is a start.

I also feel that we have been lacking with defensive options. There must be better young defenders out there than Daniels, available to loan. Even when we were on a decent run, he looked jittery and some games were won despite rather than because of him. While I don't think Goodison should have featured in this game, given his grim experiences at the County Ground, there have been matches recently; Carlisle/Shrewsbury perhaps, where their forwards weren't especially fast that he could have done a better job. Given our lack of firepower up front, it might also be tempting to give him a stint leading the line for 20 minutes or so to give the opposition something different to think about.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Given our lack of firepower up front, it might also be tempting to give him a stint leading the line for 20 minutes or so to give the opposition something different to think about.
Are you suggesting we play Goody up front?

DIW

Player
Goodison
Are you suggesting we play Goody up front?

Yeah because when you are going for promotion what you really need is a 40 yr old centre back up front. ](*,)](*,)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
All I suggested was that it might be worth throwing Goodi up front from the bench, given our lack of physical presence in the forward line. It's got to be better than having our keeper up trying to score and ending up conceding a third.

It's academic now, given JLAAs return and the loaning of Sidebe.

Player
Goodison
You want to put Goodison on the left wing, him and Zoom would bamboozle defenders, and themselves, probably.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Well, Goodi did used to play left full-back under Brian Little, much to everyone's bemusement!

Picture it though, last game of the season, 94th minute and Goodi rises above the Bournemouth defence, a la Ronaldo, to head into the top corner and send Rovers into The Championship as League 1 champions. All in front of a full Kop of course. =D>