• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers Reserves 1 Swindle 3

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We were completely outplayed by the better team on the night. We simply did not have enough quality players available for a game of that magnitude. With the 5/6 absentees, a very good chance. Without them, no chance.

That said, all three goals were comically poor. Fonners was at fault for the first one, no pressure on Roberts for the second (great strike), the third pure 'Fred Carno's' as Ronnie would say. When the team still had a modicum of confidence we could compensate for Daniels' limitations, but not now. We need Gibson back.

The difference between the sides was emphasised for me by the performances of Collins and Roberts. A striker who held the ball, was direct and had a goal threat for them, and a couple of young kids running around for us. We were under almost constant pressure because the ball was not held up front, and when we lost possession there was no protection in front of the back four without Palmer (although Corry showed some nice touches). Roberts looked classy all evening, whereas Amoo is NOT a winger: no real skill, can't beat a man and can't cross. Why we did not start with ABB is beyond me.

At least we battled gamefully. With Akpro and Holmes back hopefully we can win at Colchester and try to salvage something from the season.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
The players have lost confidence.if this carries on much longer moore will lose his job.i do not know what is going on.i know we were not at full stength tonigh and it showed in the result.akpro back on saturday.i dont know if he will make a differnce but we do need to get some wins to boost confidence

DIW

Player
Goodison
The players have lost confidence
You reckon? Brilliant analysis.

.if this carries on much longer moore will lose his job.
You think? Who will come and manage us? Do you think he should lose his job? I hope not.

i do not know what is going on.
Clearly the team is nothing like as strong as earlier in the season when it was perhaps over achieving anyway. We haven't been able to replace the quality players out with those of a similar standard. Ronnie gambled with a smaller squad going for quality and it was always likely to be stretched if we were hit bu injuries.

What you can't legislate for is the mistakes. Fonners has gone from looking super cool to a jittering wreck and cost us another goal tonight (the first one). Daniels has looked decent at times but tonight was a complete liability. Robbo is short of form - only Ash Taylor is playing at a decent level. Let's get it right though - there is no point attacking the manager for this, like some berk did by the dugout when the second goal went in (what a hit by the way). We need to grind one or two out - dig some form out a bit and hope we can hang in there for the playoffs which we can. Then it's anybodies game.

Let's face it - who thought we would even be in the top 6 at the start of the season. I understand the frustration though. To be in the top for ages and then slip up is more galling than the relegation battles.

Bring back Parry - at least under him we didn't have any expectations.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With Akpro and Holmes back hopefully we can win at Colchester and try to salvage something from the season.

From what I've heard, Kay was one of our better players? Though there's nothing like damning with faint praise.

It sounded like Bell-Baggie gave them a bit more to think about, when he came on. I cannot understand Ronnie's adoration of Amoo. Team selection was wrong for me, as I indicated in the pre-match thread, we should have packed midfield and tried to stifle them.

I would not be confident of getting anything from Colchester on past form, so we may be needing something from the Notts County game to avoid a pointless month.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Kay did ok, couldn't be faulted for what went on. Bell-Baggie looked a bit more dangerous than Amoo.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We were completely outplayed by the better team on the night. We simply did not have enough quality players available for a game of that magnitude.
That is the crux of the problem.

The squad we had out simply wasn't good enough. We are missing key players and it's killing us. Midfield is non existent and forward line is so weak, you cannot see much quality anywhere.

Having said that, I thought we worked harder than we have in recent games and putting on ABB made a big difference. Honestly though, it took us 70 minutes to get our first decent shot in, with their keeper being an almost spectator before this point.

Not sure what's happening with Fon Williams, but he's making some fundemental errors mixed in with some great saves. I think he loses concentration during games because he's so slow coming off his line. Ironically he'd waded into no man's land for the first.

But this has nothing to do with Ronnie or confidence. We simply don't have the quality out there, I guess this was always going to be the fear if we lost our key players with such a thin squad.

The last 5 minutes just became comical with Black passing back to a keeper that had run up for the corner and then FW getting caught for the third.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It sounded like Bell-Baggie gave them a bit more to think about, when he came on.
ABB made a real difference to our play and gave us the spark we needed. I would have played him from the start with Amoo up front as I don't have any faith in Stockton and O'Halloran as the front two.

Amoo has done very little since scoring on his debut.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Just hope Blacks cock up doesnt scare ronnie into not uing him on saturday, him with zoom playing left wing, and ABB on the right feeding AA and A.N.Other, with robbo in the centre with corry SHOULD be enoguh to win that game, but what we all saw as an easy month for wins, it could be nil points at this rate....

Oh, and is this still MAdine Ronnies chasing? From the OS: we're trying to bring somebody in, a big striker. We're one of six clubs the boy has got the opportunity to come to so we'll wait and see.

Player
Manager
John King
I believe the striker we are after is Tom Eaves at Bolton, a youngster who had a decent record on loan at Bristol Rovers earlier in the season (7 goals in 14 games). The fact that six clubs are after him shows just what we are up against trying to bring players in.

And there are Brentford signing Bradley Wright-Phillips until the end of the season......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We need to do something. It's good to have JLAA back, but he needs someone decent alongside him. Powerful target man could just be the tonic we need. Fingers crossed.

Midfield is still a concern for me.

Player
Manager
John King
There is a possibility Gibson will be back with us on Thursday. I think the whole spine of the team has to be a concern at the moment.

I do think Corry looks a nice player though and will thrive in a better performing team.

Player
Goodison
I think it's time to bring goodison back - we need some experience to calm the back 4 down a bit - Daniels seems very shaky. Before the 5-0 loss at Swindon goodison was in the team of the week following the sheff Utd game, he still has something to offer. We desperately need a striker and a centre mid - we can't rely on power as he's young and inconsistent, whilst Harrison offers nothing going forward. Stockton is very raw at the moment and doesn't look like scoring, whilst o'halloran is appaling - a diabolical player who wont be playing professional football in 3 years. I would go for this team against colchester

Fon Williams

Holmes Taylor goodison zoom

Harrison power

Thompson Robinson bell-Baggie

Akpa akpro

I think this 4-2-3-1 might compensate for Wallace's absence by bringing Robinson into the game more. I would like to see Thompson given another chance as although he hasn't set the world alight, he was part of the team that started the season so well so he must have done something right. whilst he doesn't always take the man on, he doesn't often give the ball away as he'll look for a safe pass - keeping the ball was a key part of our early season form.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I wouldn't drop Corry for Harrison but I kinda like your thinking

The only problem with going 4-5-1 when you're not in good form is that you're more inclined than usual to leave your striker isolated. Even at the worst of times with 4-4-2 your main frontman has someone to play off.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
It is good that akpro back on saturday.it was always going to be hard with a patched up tea.does anyone know how long danny holmes and adam mcgurk is going to be out for.ronnie needs to gee the lads up and get some confidence going again.every team has a bad run.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with the comments by Sonkorly / RTID regarding the possble team for Saturday. However, I think it is harsh to single out O'Halloran for criticism. He does not have great ability but he has shown as good an attitude as anybody during this poor spell and never hides. I would imagine he will make a career for himself in the lower leagues, but not necessarily as a striker. To me, Stockton is a bigger problem at the moment as he is making virtually no impression in games (nor is Amoo for that matter).

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Will try not to repeat what most have said but last night was bloody awful. Almost men against boys at times. Right from the first whistle Swindon had so much more than us. My confidence grew slightly when we got to half time 0-0 but we were exposed in the 2nd.

As has been said, we could not cope with the strength of Collins and the defence was bullied all game. I didnt think Ash did particularly well but Daniels had a nightmare. Full backs did ok I thought.

Any word from Ronnie? I noticed he was wearing a suit last night, maybe he was seeing the Swindon Chairman after the game.

You have to feel sorry for him. He created a brilliant team early doors with a mismatch of loanees and free transfers, but the spine of the side is so important which we have lost (Gibson / Wallace / Cassidy). Plus Akpo was injured now suspended and the likes of McGurk (now injured) and Robbo havent played well for a while. Cole isnt ready and OHalloran just isnt up to it. Max and Corry simpy wont cut it for a top side.

Amoo had an awful game. He should play up top or not at all especially when we have genuine pace in Bell Baggie. You can see why Preston let Amoo go.

We're still in there and hopefully with JLAA back and fingers crossed Gibson for Saturday, things may turn in our favour. OFW needs to sort himself out though.

As for Goodi, yes Daniels was poor but did anyone remember when Goodi played against Swindon away? He was awful.

Player
Liam Palmer
I hear the club are bringing out a new song. It's a rendition of the Neil Diamond classic "Forever in League One".

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Ref earlier comments I think Robbo's form suffers because he is now playing in an inferior eleven than earlier in the season. Some of those playing at the moment are just not clever enough and reduce the options for whoever has the ball - so even a top player such as Robbo can look ineffective.

Think most agreed BB should now play and perhaps Robbo or Zoum on the other side. AA and Amoo up front should then be a threat, but just need to ensure centre midfield is gritty enough and that defence can show some strength.

I guess if Robbo went centre mid with the Zoum wide option we would need to play five across to ensure there was enough grit and steel in there, and then allow Robbo to roam with just AA on his own up top.