Rovers 4 Vale 2 (pens)


8 Sep 2009
Chris Greenacre
I didnt go due to early so will be interesting to hear from anyone that did but although we are thru, it doesnt sound like a great evening with a mostly ineffective 2nd half performance with McChrystal and Robbo picking up injuries.

Plus another game for Tiriyaki without a goal.

Least we are through I suppose.....


Super White!
21 Sep 2005
Sounded like Port Vale were unlucky not to win. The stats say we had 12 shots off target as opposed to just 1 on target?! Should have gone to specsavers.

The injuries are a worry. I just hope Roninson is OK as he's been really influential recently.

Nice to see Ash back in the squad and Max getting a bit of a game.
I think Turyaki will be fine. Just needs that one competitive goal and he can relax then. He's not a bad player. I've seen a lot worse..
26 Sep 2008
Jimmy Harvey
Tuesday was a real game of two halves to be honest. In the first half Rovers dominated and Vale spent large portions of the time camped on there own 18 yard box. Ladabie crashed one against the bar on about 7 mins with a screamer from outside the area. We then won a penalty which McChrystal decided to take despite Tyriaki initially picking the ball up. McChrystal then smashed the penalty against the bar. Rovers continued to push forward with Tyriaki and Akins both coming close. We began to dominate the midfield and played some lovely passing football. As the half went on Vale began to get a foothold in the game and caught Rovers on the break a number of times being denied by a combination of Fon Williams and poor marksmanship. Half time came and most Rovers fans were confident a goal would soon come.
As the second half started Vale began to press the ball and began to cause Rovers some real problems although Rovers heaped a lot of the pressure on themselves with poor passing and the return to playing aimless long balls. Vales two centre halves were big lads and began to win everything. Devaney and Akins completely disappeared from the game as long ball after long ball was hoofed up toward Tyriaki who was by now becoming VERY isolated. Tranmere managed a rare constructed attack when Akins managed to get behind the Vale full back but hit his cross too long. It was seized upon by Vale who broke very quickly. One of the Vale players raced clean through and shot at an angle, FonWilliams did well to block the shot with the ball hitting his hand and arching into the air another Vale player had followed up and headed unchallenged into the empty net.
Immediately Parry brought on Andy Robinson and took off the ineffective Akins. Robinson lasted all of 2 mins before pulling up adding to an earlier injury to McChrystal. Robinson went off and Max Power came on for his professional debut. Tranmere continued to huff and puff but it was Vale who looked the more likely to score and nearly did but were again denied by Fon Williams. Tranmere gained a brief resbite when a horrific leg break to one of the Vale players meant a 10 minute delay to the game.
After the break Rovers began to play the ball on the floor again and Tyriaki and Devaney both crept back into the game. Rovers equalised via Ash Taylors back post header after poor defending from Vale. Vale won a free kick right on the final whistle but the effort was sent comfortably over.
The game went to penalties with Welsh the only player to miss for Rovers. Fon Williams was outstanding in the Rovers goal.

MOM for me was Ash Taylor solid throughout. It was amazing that he was able to play in this way when you consider he had attended his Grand Fathers funeral at 3 o'clock that afternoon. All in all a decent game but we were very lucky to get away with it.