• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 3 Yeovil 2

DIW

Player
Goodison
Seemed like a decent crowd had turned up today to the match to see the unbeaten Rovers and after 30 minutes it looked that had been the kiss of death to the team.

We should have been 1 nil up after about a minute when someone (Thompson?) missed a great chance. From then we dominated the game before getting caught on a sucker punch, although there was some poor defending to blame. More poor defending plus some good fortune for the visitors saw the score go to 2 nil and we were all wondering how that had happened.

Johnson had obviously told his team to go out and give Tranmere a good kicking and the referee obviously wasn't too fussed about this - nobody appeared to have told him about the high feet rule.

Credit to the lads though, they kept at it and a great comeback started with a goal from Wallace who was superb all afternoon. Into the second half and Cassidy equalised before Danny Holmes took advantage of a quick free kick to score the winner. In terms of players, Wallace , as I have said was very impressive yet again, McGurk had arguably his best game for us (did he get all three assists?) before fading in the second half and Bell-Baggie was a constant menace. Yeovil were poor defensively, but attacking wise had some decent players and that was the first time this season I have seen the back four look uncomfortable at times. We also didn't really look like we were playing 10 men after their lad got sent off.

Still an exciting game and to come from 2 down shows great character and determination, something the team appears to have in abundance. We also showed we can score goals without Robbo and Akpa Akpro in the team.
Plus Stevenage lost and Sheff Utd drew. Good times all round!

Player
Nixon
awesome game.

great that OFW came back for the game, superb team spirit that he didnt want to.miss tbe game.

Walllace was outstanding.

bell-baggie caused murder and took some serious kicks and body checks.

Cassidy worked his socks off.

Thompson on the left wing didnt work for me, there RB worked out that he needed to check onto his right foot with 2 mins

McGurk was much more effective out wide but gave the ball away cheapily as he tired late
on.

It was weird that many including myself where not worried even at 0-2 down.

still dreaming of a white christmas

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
What a great afternoons entertainment!

Won't repeat others apart from agreeing Wallace was immense. He ran the game.

The pleasing thing for me is that once again the squad was tested; this time with Thompson going off, but like with notts when JLAA went off, the squad has been good enough and shown great character. The skipper led by example with the turning point goal just before the break.

Radio Merseyside said statistically never in history has a team had had such a good first quarter of the season, and not been promoted.

trfcsimo

Player
goodison
This was only my second game of the season due to golf on saturdays, the only onther game was the Brenford game so at 2-0 down i was thinking i must be a jinx!

Wallaces goal before half time was massive, got Wallace going and got us back in it! Thought McGurk was very good, did give the ball away sometimes but looks a clever player, Wallace was immense second half, Bell-Baggie just got hacked everytime he got the ball (and their moaning about our challenges on their forum???) Great game team spirit =D> =D>

couldn't see previous seasons teams winning that game!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most of DIW's original post. I think Yeovil should be given credit for playing two up front and having a go at us, unlike a number of sides who have come to PP. That said, they were very cynical off the ball and we still await news of Thompson's injury.

Despite the poor defending, I am not quite sure how we ended up 2-0 down in the first half. Some of our passing was terrific and we did create chances. With hindsight I think McGurk playing up front presents a problem as he tends to drift out wide leaving Cassidy isolated in the box; on a number of a occasions we flashed great balls across the six yard box which nobody attacked. McGurk's all round performance was extremely good, but I thought we were more effective when Stockton, who worked his proverbials off, went up front.

The real positive was that neither team nor fans panicked when their second goal went in. The players stuck with their passing game and the crowd remained supportive and in the end the victory was deserved.

The back four were shaky for probably only the second time this season (the other being Crawley away) but as in that game the character shown by the team as a whole was fantastic.

Individually, I thought Thompson was actually our best player prior to going off and was not hampered by playing on the left. Wallace was probably man of the match, just ahead of McGurk.

Incredibly, we are now seven points clear at the top (eight effectively with our goal difference) and can look forward to the return of Robbo and hopefully a decent quality loanee.

Player
Nixon
forgot to mention the Yeovil keeper, hats off to him he had a stormer and didnt deserve to be on the losing side.

=D> =D> to you man

Player
Manager
John King
It was also great to see 6,000 plus in the ground today, the first time we have got a crowd of that size without a big away contingent since pre-Barnes.

There was a buoyant atmosphere pretty much all game, which can only boost the players' confidence still further.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
How would you characterise an in-form Thompson? I've not been to PP since earlier in the season, when he looked like he had absolutely nothing about him.

Player
Manager
John King
How would you characterise an in-form Thompson? I've not been to PP since earlier in the season, when he looked like he had absolutely nothing about him.

Far more confident and positive and willing to take on (and beat) the fullback.

The first half today and the game at Notts were by far his best performances so far.

Player
Nixon
Thompson on the right for me,

He is a very handy player:-
Brave,
Neat,
Honest..

Now his confidence is growing, come the christmas period when games are coming thick and fast.... He will prove himself a a beast of a player

DIW

Player
Goodison
Far more confident and positive and willing to take on (and beat) the fullback.

The first half today and the game at Notts were by far his best performances so far.

I would agree with you there. Much better today - shame about the injury.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
some of the comments on here..jeeze !

For most of the the first half pp was like a wake..credit to yeovil for that

2 goals conceded ..not due to poor defending at all... but midfield runners (palmer on both occasions)not tracking back..

May be he needs a break....

Player
Goodison
Palmer has arguably been our best player, certainly in terms of ball retention. He just keeps the ball and moves it on - nothing spectacular, but every good team needs a player like Palmer who just keeps the ball.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This was a good match for the neutral, but quite stressful for the Rovers fan. It did seem to be a game in the first half, where until Wallace's fine header, just before half-time, not much went for Rovers. Yeovil were a decent combo of skill and brute force, while we just didn't look well-organised at the back and failed to polish off things at the other end.

An excellent turnaround in the second half, with some great build-up play by McGurk for the equaliser and Tranmere fan Danny Holmes netting the winner, after the visitors had been reduced to 10 men. However, it took a great save from OFW, down at the foot of the post, just after we'd levelled to keep us in it.

I agree with amplesou that the 1st half didn't feel that comfy and Palmer was less influential than usual. While it was the opposite side of the pitch, I didn't notice Thompson have a particularly positive contribution in the time he played; he doesn't jump for headers, so Stockton, while not much of a goal-threat here, still kept the Yeovil defence more occupied. McGurk was good until his 2nd half injury. MoM, unquestionably Wallace, who was all over the place and the best showing since he returned.

Overall, this birthday boy was very happy about the fight-back which led to a first birthday win in what seems an eternity. Keep it going, lads!

Player
Manager
John King
I thought Palmer had a decent game yesterday and I can't see how he was any more to blame for the goals than the other midfield players or the back four; after a slow start in the first three or four matches, his performances have been consistently excellent and he has now added the occasional burst forward to his good ball retention.

I would agree that as a team we defended poorly in the first half. It just seemed we were too cavalier in our approach at times, particularly after conceding the first goal. On a couple of occasions the centre halves got caught in possession beyond the halfway line, and we seemed to be committing too many players forward in a lot of the attacks. Now that we have lost Akpro we probably need to be a little more cautious, rather than assuming we are going to score four every game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great game to watch, really enjoyable and quite feisty at times. I was quite surprised to read Ronnie's comments after the game. I know we conceded two, but I wouldn't have said we were poor.

OK, we conceded two, caught on the break, defending a little sloppy, but we created a lot of chances in that half. My only criticism was that we didn't have enough bodies in the box.

Superb comeback though and confidence is sky high. Seven points clear, wow, it feels good.