• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (3) v Salford (4)

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Salford

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (3) v Salford (4)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 19, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 19, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
For any development model to work, some of the money received for transfer fees need to go to the playing budget, so far since Bristow left we have barely made a signing, hopefully more are to come before the window closes
You have consider two things how much was spent on Doohan and Bristow while they were employed and then you get the net profit from their fees, unknown as they are. Then you have to account for all the other gambles that did not pay off in that time period, Hewelt being an obvious one but many others from Hockenhull to Hughes are at various stages of looking unsuccessful.
Not sure the plan, even after a recent selling spree is that lucrative.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There was an awful lot of waste last year as they got desperate. Mumbongo and Hewelt were just very poor signings to name a few.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Next time it will be a question of whether Ian realises where he has gone badly wrong. Playing three players who could play alongside Norris in a standard 442 was really wasteful and now Norris seems to be out.
I wouldn't worry about the defence either the back four that started or the one after LOC injury will do. Errors were made but they can be worked on.
A midfield of three certainly doesn't work with a player having a passing relationship with the area.
I'd play Dennis and Jennings up top, bring Hawkes in and add a central midfielder. Taylor loses out due to staffing issues not his own lack of performance. He would almost certainly come on anyway.
This calls for Mellon type basics not so some dumb arse gung ho play a lot forwards out of position plan.
Nigel maybe making plans??

Reactions: Ian

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I also think we need to find a way to get hawkes into the starting eleven. Yes we beat Harrogate without him but they are a fairly poor side. Josh was top scorer and player of the year so we need to find a place for him, especially if results aren’t going our way.
Of course we have more attacking options this season so less reliant on him but he’d always be in my best eleven somewhere
Agree Sparky. Hawkes should start. If most of us had our wish we'd look for a Norris/Dennis combo up front.
So Hawkes in left midfield and possibly Morris on the opposite side? In a 442 Hendry + ano in CM would get steam rollered. Perhaps we need to look at a back 3 with Yarney and free LOC to join Hendry and partner in centre midfield.
I think Sam Taylor is a top prospect. I can see him more of an alternative to Dennis when it's two up front, than playing wider in a three up front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’m not so confident as DB about the state of our defence. Last season we were lucky that both the full-backs stayed fit and were in form. Unclear how bad O’Connor’s injury is or the extent Leake’s confidence will be dented by the Salford performance but feel we need more options at the back. I wouldn’t be averse to trying Higgy 2s suggestion of wing backs ahead of 3 central defenders, but again if one of Davies Turnbull and Yarney is unavailable, then choices are limited. Don’t think we could deploy Walker there on current fitness levels.