• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (3) v Salford (4)

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Salford

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (3) v Salford (4)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 19, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 19, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We are only a week or so into the season and the games are coming thick and fast. Next up for Rovers are The Ammies who will make the short trip to Prenton Park. Ian Dawes has mentioned in his pre match interview starting with the strongest XI and is now looking for consistency from his players so I think we will see a team similar to Tuesday night.

Salford will be looking to bounce back from their disappointing 2-0 defeat against Grimsby after a decent start to the season. Their campaign got under way with a 2-0 win against FGR, they then beat Preston on penalties in the EFL cup and gained a point against Crawley last Saturday.

Salford are a point ahead in the league but a win for Rovers would see them in the top half of the table. Forward Matt Smith who has a decent record at this level should front the attack with ex-rover Ryan Watson pulling the strings in midfield. Ossama Ashley will not feature alongside Watson in midfield as he serves a ban for a sending off against Grimsby.

If we can put in a performance like we did against Harrogate I see no reason why we can't get all three points.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yes same team as Tuesday from the start get at em and smash em all over now if Taylor scones again we could have a problem with the window still open

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another game I'll miss. The impression I got from some reports of the Harrogate game was some of the younger players particularly were looking jaded towards the end of that game. While the same starting xi is most likely, it will give Dawes something to think about and maybe introduce fresh legs at an earlier stage of the game.

Salford apparently quite a physical team according to Grimsby fans. How will this Rovers side respond to an opponent dishing out the rough stuff, particukarly as there is a rookie ref Scott Tallis in the middle.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A tough game but one I fancy us to win 2 1

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Matt Smifh if he plays is a real handful but if we start the game well, get the first goal then 3 points is possible.

Unless any injuries I’ll be surprised if Dawes makes any changes to the starting eleven. Like boz I’m missing this one but hopefully the last game at PP I miss this season.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Well as usual I am in the kitchen so will have laptop with commentary on we will win Taylor master class 3 for him 5-0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As in previous seasons Salford have good players, but their results to date suggest they are still a bit flakey. We have got a good record against them at Prenton Park and we should be targeting three points from this game.

I don't like to see Dennis used as a number ten, rather than in his preferred position. However, after the performances on Tuesday night and in the second half at MK, Dawes will be justified in selecting an unchanged eleven. There might be some changes after half time due to the recent heavy schedule.

A victory would be a confidence boost ahead of two very tough fixtures against the so-called big hitters.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
It would be brilliant if dennis gets of the mark soon just for his confidence and we need it

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Glad that dennis the menace is off the mark great to see Wrexham losing 4-1

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Pretty open game. Rovers have done well with the goals but we are being stretched defensively. I can see more goals second half.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
2 2 first attack the half they score they look very dangerous and we are not coping with their system our full backs having tough game

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Lewis and Yarney ht subs for O'Connor and Norris look like both injured

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The match stats suggesting that Salford have the bulk of the possession. Those injuries a concern.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
3 2 down they better team, leake is getting destroyed

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just checking the score - why have Lewis and Jolley come on but not hawkes?!?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hawkes now on for Leake, presume we’re going to 3 at the back and playing wing-backs?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It will be interesting to hear from those who attended, but a worrying scoreline. I didn’t feel the Harrogate win was as comfortable as some regulars and it sounds like we were clinically polished off by Salford today. With some testing games up next, need to be picking up some points.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought the performance was a mess and we got what we deserved.

There was some encouragement from the attacking play in the first half, with Jennings and Norris again performing well and Dennis scoring his first goal. However, we ceded far too much possession to the opposition and did not get to grips with their 3-4-3 formation and were slightly fortunate to go in ahead at half time.

The loss of Norris and O'Connor to injury at half time was obviously key, but the second half performance was a disorganised shambles. The decision to bring on Lewis ahead of Hawkes and others was peculiar when we needed to get back on the front foot, and the switch to three at the back with Morris and Hawkes as wing backs left us completely open defensively and Salford were able to walk through us at will in the final thirty minutes. The manager had sufficient options to put out a solid side in the second half, and he has questions to answer after that display I am afraid.

The players did battle to the end, as disjointed as the performance was, but we did not deserve anything from the game. The scoreline demonstrates that we have greater attacking threats this season, but with defensive performances like that we will get nowhere.