• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (3) v Forest Green (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Forest Green

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (3) v Forest Green (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, November 11, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 11, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A vital and deserved victory which should be huge for confidence.

I thought we looked much better balanced in the simple 442 and, lo and behold, Dennis scored a brilliant goal and Norris was a constant threat and could have had a hatful. We had some luck with the red card, but once Forest Green were reduced to ten men we played some very good football and the second half was enjoyable to watch.

I thought everybody worked hard and contributed. However, Norris made a huge difference to us with his physicality and ability to hold the ball up and Apter caused them major problems all afternoon. The two centre halves have been much maligned this season but I thought they were both fantastic today, particularly Turnbull.

I still have concerns about the lack of protection for the defence. In the first half in particular, it was too easy for the FGR midfielders to carry the ball long distances and get in on the back four and our reluctance to tackle in the middle third of the pitch just invites problems at times. A better team would have punished us.

However, I came away from the game believing that we clearly have more influential individuals than FGR, if only we can organise them properly on a consistent basis. I thought Forest Green were a mirror image of ourselves for much of this season: they played some reasonable football at times, but gave away terrible goals at bad times and poor discipline ultimately cost them the game.

As has been mentioned, the only real negative is the injury to Norris which hopefully is not too serious. However, his reaction when he went down the tunnel was not good.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Three goals, three points, clean sheet, 4-4-2. Job done!

The injury to Norris is a bad blow.
We should perservere with the shape, the players looked more comfortable with it.I

Another three points ordered for next Saturday, please!

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Well done lads as for the marquee singing his sick bed is doing well. Main thing is that we won and isn't it nice getting one over tge vegans

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A deserved victory with the only negative being Norris injury.

First half was scrappy but I wasn’t complaining as we led. Second half we had a good five minutes with Dennis fine finish and their sending off and after that it was comfortable. Apter sealed a good performance with a fine goal and it could easily have been 5.

I agree with RLC about the midfield. Walker did ok but still doesn’t look very mobile at times. Surprise surprise you play Dennis in a front two and he scores. Him and Norris as a front two looked fairly good but remember haven’t played much as a pair.
Lots of very good performances including the centre backs, Jennings, Hendry, Apter and Norris but my MOM was Connor wood who didn’t put a foot wrong and I’ve criticised him in the past but he was excellent

Norris unfortunately looked serious. My daughter noticed before he went down he had his head in his hands and went straight down the tunnel. We have options of course but nothing like him.

We need to build on this now. Defeat next week at sutton and we’re back to square one.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I felt we played well in the second half, even before the second yellow card dismissal, but there was little to chose between the teams in the first half and on another day might have gone in level.

Dennis’ goal was a great finish and given his fox in the box reputation he showed that capable of delivering from longer range too. Norris had a decent game, shame he clipped the woodwork after a great through ball from Turnbull. However, his reaction was as Sparky’s daughter described, head in hands for a few minutes and banging the turf in frustration as he dragged himself off. Sadly get the impression that it’s very bad and we might need to be looking at finding s similar type player in the January window.

I agreed with the sponsors selection of Rob Apter as MoM, with another quality finish, though a bit concerned he didn’t seem to be using shin guards. Connor Jennings had a good game too and the protection he gave Connor Wood meant that the left-back looked much more assured than previously. Dan Pike had a decent second half and linked well with Apter, while Sam Taylor had a good little cameo at the end, although think given the state of the game I’d have brought him on ahead of Saunders.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I felt we played well in the second half, even before the second yellow card dismissal, but there was little to chose between the teams in the first half and on another day might have gone in level.

Dennis’ goal was a great finish and given his fox in the box reputation he showed that capable of delivering from longer range too. Norris had a decent game, shame he clipped the woodwork after a great through ball from Turnbull. However, his reaction was as Sparky’s daughter described, head in hands for a few minutes and banging the turf in frustration as he dragged himself off. Sadly get the impression that it’s very bad and we might need to be looking at finding s similar type player in the January window.

I agreed with the sponsors selection of Rob Apter as MoM, with another quality finish, though a bit concerned he didn’t seem to be using shin guards. Connor Jennings had a good game too and the protection he gave Connor Wood meant that the left-back looked much more assured than previously. Dan Pike had a decent second half and linked well with Apter, while Sam Taylor had a good little cameo at the end, although think given the state of the game I’d have brought him on ahead of Saunders.
Good point about Pike who didn’t put a foot wrong in his 45 mins. Also one thing Connor will bring on the left is as you say support for the left back which the likes of Hawkes don’t bring.
Re shin guards, both wood and apter follow what grealish does with tiny pads and socks rolled down just to cover.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If Norris is injured long term again I'm afraid we've signed another Glatzel. Good footballer but can't last a few games. On the bright side, excellent performance today which gives me a lot of hope.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Just got home a happy chef the win today shame about Norris. Now i had a very special guest in tonight shame i did not get to talk to him. A mr Mellon was in attendance and good to see hiim chilled and happy

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
If Norris is injured long term again I'm afraid we've signed another Glatzel. Good footballer but can't last a few games. On the bright side, excellent performance today which gives me a lot of hope.
I think Dollarsbroke said a few days a go that a Norris MK2 signing will be imperative in the next window. Today's injury, and to maintain an option of playing 442 underlines the Importance of a search for such a player. As DB said where to start?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just got home a happy chef the win today shame about Norris. Now i had a very special guest in tonight shame i did not get to talk to him. A mr Mellon was in attendance and good to see hiim chilled and happy
Glad he’s looking well but guess won’t the happy with Oldham dropping points at home again.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Much much better. Yes FGR had many injured but even so....
Wood I thought was good and should surely cement that spot. Apter again was excellent. Going to be tough to hold onto him. Norris injury a massive downer of course. Looked bad.
Was surprised Saunders still seems to be ahead of Taylor when Norris went off. To me he has way more aptitude.
The team clearly grew in confidence massively in the second half and we played some lovely football. Hope this marks a turning point.
Onwards and upwards!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Onwards and upwards!
Hopefully ADD. I still have grave concerns about our away form which is simply atrocious. If we can pick up a win away from home it will break the curse and hopefully we can move on but we won't get any kind of consistency going if we cannot find a win to win away.