• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 3 Shakers 0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A strange game, with a great outcome for Rovers.

For much of the first sixty minutes I thought we were pretty poor, and a very hardworking Bury side had the better of the game, without creating a great deal. Bury will feel hard done by with the award of the first penalty, but my gut instinct was the decision was correct as Holmes appeared to be tripped from behind. No doubt about the second penalty, as Akpro skinned the full back and was hauled down.

Once the second goal went in we relaxed and for the first time in the game started to play the kind of football we know we are capable of, with Robinson heavily involved and Akpro in particular looking impressive I thought, without getting the goal that I think he needs. Cassidy's strike was another poacher's effort and again served to emphasise that he is probably the most natural finisher at the club.

Although the overall performance was not great we again showed that (a) we are extremely difficult to score against, even when opposition teams are dominating possession and (b) we always have that extra touch of quality around the 18 yard box to nick a goal and change a game.

Fantastic to see that we have increased our lead at the top and have an incredible goal difference, but the overall performance will have to be better if we are to take anything from the game on Saturday.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Its games like this, though, that make you think that it COULD be our year!! We were bloody awful, truth be told, yet 3-0 is the final score....I hope we have something lined up for Jake after January though, he's a beast for us (to be honest, if are still top 6 in Jan, we should be able to get him till end of season, then get the bugger from Wolves!)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks for your balanced report, RLC. This is now almost certainly our best start to the season in our long history. Who would have predicted that after 7 games we would be unbeaten and 2 points clear at the top with a goal difference twice as big as any other team?

It's been said before that we've met none of the big teams. Of the seven games so far, all our opponents are in the lower half of the table including the bottom three! However, 5 wins and 2 draws is good against any opposition and will give the team confidence for the matches ahead. A month into the season, Robbo has already scored more goals than anyone managed in the whole of last season and Cassidy and Akpa Akpro are also on fire. And only two goals conceded, so I don't think it's a fluke we are where we are.

But it's a long season and we have a thin squad, as the Port Vale result showed. I just hope Ronnie gets the backing he will need when injuries, suspensions and the inevitable dips in form come along. Meanwhile, enjoy!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the reports, wasn't able to escape from work in time to make this. It sounded like another game where we took the points without being on top of our game; starting to become a habit :smile:

Couple of concerns. Firstly, Robbo picked up another booking, he's already on the way to a ban and it will be difficult to deal with his absence on current form. Also, the crowd didn't quite hit 5000, which in the circumstances is disappointing.

Player
Manager
John King
Couple of concerns. Firstly, Robbo picked up another booking, he's already on the way to a ban and it will be difficult to deal with his absence on current form. Also, the crowd didn't quite hit 5000, which in the circumstances is disappointing.

From where I was sitting Robbo's booking looked incredibly harsh, unless it was given for abusive language. However, I agree that we don't want to be without him unnecessarily even for one game.

Regarding the gate, I thought it was actually a great crowd. We had two games in a week and were competing with Real Madrid v Man City, added to which Bury only brought 250 fans. Under Les we would have been barely scraping 4,000 in those circumstances.

The gates are definitely creeping upwards, albeit by hundreds rather than thousands.

drwhoman

GATES

I am sure gates will start to increase if things start to get 'serious'. It is early days yet and it could all turn round very quickly if we get a few key injuries. Outside the core 4-5k we are looking at casual fans unfortunately. Their main commitment will be to the Liverpool clubs. If goals are being scored and we are genuine promotion candidates rather than just good starters then they will come for an afternoon/night out.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Although the overall performance was not great we again showed that (a) we are extremely difficult to score against, even when opposition teams are dominating possession and (b) we always have that extra touch of quality around the 18 yard box to nick a goal and change a game.
I couldn't agree more, and has been evident in a large majority of our home games at least.

Teams have come to Prenton Park and really put in a good shift only to end up getting beat by a few goals. Coventry and Bury recently, and credit to Bury, they were the better side in the first half and ended up a goal down.

Defensively, we are looking solid, combined with quality play from the likes of Robinson and Cassidy. We must do all we can to keep Gibson, he's an excellent defender.

Robinson's yellow was really harsh. But these are the factors that shape the season, because eventually we will have injuries and suspensions. All we can do for now is to keep winning games :)

I think we mentioned this in a previous thread, but the attendances wont significantly rise. Not yet and not for a while. If anything they will only noticeably rise towards the end of the season if we are still in a similar position.

On a slightly negative and not very interesting note, it felt like a winters night out there. Goodbye summer :cold:

White_Magic

Player
Ian Moore
Great Result

Couldn't make it to the game last night due to being down south but i was monitoring it on my Sky Sports app. Again, on the back of other comments, it looks like another 3 points from a less than convicing first half performance...not that i am complaining!

Putting in an average shift but still picking up the three points is a great sign. In fairness, last season we did put in some excelent performances only to be undone in the last 10 minutes. It appears this year that a bit of role reversal has happended. We are actually sticking the ball in the back of the net and getting the rub of the green in our own half as well.

To have scored 16 goals and conceded 2 in 7 games is beyond anyones expectations (a bit of an understatement) and to be increasing our lead rather than maintaining it will give an added confidence in the dressing room.

Injuries / suspensions will inevitably come, it is just about maintaining focus and keeping our feet firmly on the ground. That is us unbeaten at home now in 16 games in the league (MK Dons in Dec 11) and if we maintain out home form at the very least, dare i say top 6 finish!

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I went with my son..have to say its starting to get too cold for me...

maybe i should stop being a tight ******* and go in the vips,s at least i can get a warm at half time etc..

Been very luck to win the 2 home games in my view

Cassidy scoring great but his overall play is not good enough

baggio great on the eye but end product..?

Wallace need to get more in to the game first half etc

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Amps, Sorry but get real. Your team is top of the league and winning matches for fun. This has never happened before (and may never happen again!) Just enjoy it.

If you want good weather at your footy, emigrate to Brazil!

White_Magic

Player
Ian Moore
Winning

I like Shirtlifter's comments about our style of play last night...

"We started the second half where we left off with good possession, good control and no problems but with one hoof up the pitch they get another penalty and we are 2-0 down from nothing. It is unbelievable how we have lost 3-0."

Simple reason - We are Tranmere and we beat who we want to!

Player
Manager
John King
If he keeps scoring I don't really care about the rest of his play. He's there to score goals.

I think his hold up play and strength and skill in possession is generally impressive, in addition to his unbelievable goals to games ratio.

DIW

Player
Goodison
I think his hold up play and strength and skill in possession is generally impressive, in addition to his unbelievable goals to games ratio.

I agree with this. Cassidy has put a really good shift in and is a menace to defenders. Hold up play has got better all season. The thing about him is that you wouldn't take him off when we need a goal because he doesn't seem to miss many chances. Take the goal last night - Enoch would never have been in on that.