• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (2) v Grimsby (2)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Grimsby

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (2) v Grimsby (2)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, October 7, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 7, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Post match Nigel typically positive but still going on about that bloody boulder we’re moving!!

As BBTC says we are scoring first in lots of games which is a real positive. We just can’t defend and that needs to change especially on our travels

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought the crowd were in good voice today and fair play to their manager Paul hurst who has acknowledged that in his post match intevriew
Yes, I think the supporters appreciate the scale of the challenge and are relieved that we at least have somebody competent in charge now.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Yes, the home results are not bad over the last three games. And we do need to start picking up away points.
but for me, the weaknesses keep haunting us. The consistency of performance levels are still not good enough.
I thought some of our players were treading water, in the last ten minutes or so. We are fragile and can't relieve the pressure due to the frustration of turning the ball over repeatedly.
The shape, formation is still causing issues, that will be exploited under pressure. The lack of height at set pieces, and without Luke today, we wouldn't be glad for a point.
It is better, but, tinkering around every game with the starting eleven is confusing to me.
Sorting the midfield out, same strong back four and getting Norris fit. Then we could be more resilient and use the possession better.
I did predict a draw, so it wasn't a suprise, with the results today, we have a gap, but it would have been so much more comfortable with a win today.
Could do with any points at Crewe.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
Yes, the home results are not bad over the last three games. And we do need to start picking up away points.
but for me, the weaknesses keep haunting us. The consistency of performance levels are still not good enough.
I thought some of our players were treading water, in the last ten minutes or so. We are fragile and can't relieve the pressure due to the frustration of turning the ball over repeatedly.
The shape, formation is still causing issues, that will be exploited under pressure. The lack of height at set pieces, and without Luke today, we wouldn't be glad for a point.
It is better, but, tinkering around every game with the starting eleven is confusing to me.
Sorting the midfield out, same strong back four and getting Norris fit. Then we could be more resilient and use the possession better.
I did predict a draw, so it wasn't a suprise, with the results today, we have a gap, but it would have been so much more comfortable with a win today.
Could do with any points at Crewe.
You have hit the nail on the head. We constantly give the ball away. For some reason, we think it's a good idea to pass the ball along the back line and put ourselves under pressure. No one wants to watch hoofball, but we need to keep the ball as far away from this fragile defence as possible. There is still a lot of improvement needed but 4 points this week is a decent return.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The positives for Rovers included two well-taken goals. While I had a good view of Connor's goal; great cross from Wood, great headed finish, hadn't appreciated the quality of Morris', and started by a cute ball over the defence from Saunders for Kieron to run onto. There were also a string of excellent saves from McGee and a great block at the end from Tom Davies to ensure that we came away with something. As already mentioned, the support from the SWA was impressive and a definite twelfth man today.

I've looked back at the Grimsby goals and think both Davies and McGee were at fault for the first; Tom sent the ball into no-mans land and Luke would have probably had more chance staying on his line. However more than redeemed themselves during the game Grimsby's second was initiated with a mistake by Wood, but others could have done better too. Did look like a hint of offside in the build-up, but the liner in front of the Paddocks had a poor game so no big surprise if it was.

I wasn't at the Accrington game, but given how Nigel said he'd changed the line-up to combat the opponents size, it was puzzling that against a Grimsby team where nearly all their starters were six footers and some built like the proverbial brick outhouse, that the manager didn't opt for a similar approach starting with Walker and maybe having Lewis on the bench. Hendry struggled as defensive midfielder, he was muscled off the ball too easily and wasn't as adept at breaking up the play as O'Connor when deployed in that role. Think NA should have been looking to bring Walker on. The subs that he did make taking off Morris, who was one of our better players, and Saunders seemed odd, when Dennis who was mostly ineffective and Hawkes who had been very quiet after being clattered in the first half both played the full match.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I noticed on several occasions Dennis starting to make runs behind the defenders but sadly not one of his team mates picked him up so he gave up. A lot of the time, especially the defenders it is hit and hope whilst looking at the floor. Clever player but probably not at this level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I noticed on several occasions Dennis starting to make runs behind the defenders but sadly not one of his team mates picked him up so he gave up. A lot of the time, especially the defenders it is hit and hope whilst looking at the floor. Clever player but probably not at this level.
It’s frustrating that we can’t get the best out of Dennis. He’s played a fair chunk of his career at non-league level, so managed to get goals when you’d expect the quality of delivery was patchy. I did get the feeling he’d given up towards the end, as you say. Maybe Adkins kept him on hoping that Apter might have been able to feed him, but that didn’t happen. Would have liked to see Sam Taylor get the last ten minutes or so, as it clearly wasn’t happening for Kristian yesterday.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I am convinced that Nigel could have picked Micky's team up and made some progress. Although he would still be stuck with some bad signings, the nonsense that wasn't Micky's doing and more of Micky's chosen targets that he soon discarded. However Dawes just dismantled much of what Micky did well, defensive organisation mainly in his midfield.
Nigel seems to be making progress anyway now, but he has to evaluate what and who works and that is a match by match process. Then once he is allowed to recruit we will see his true potential.
We know Micky never threatened the drop and tended to get near the play off zone, so the aim now is for a bit better than that. If Nigel can produce play off level outcomes, which given the handicap he inherited, won't actually occur- success can be claimed.
7/15 is about 64 points, always best to measure where you are at

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I noticed this a lot from the kop. You wonder whether they’ve been told not to hit it long to Dennis as unlikely he’ll win it in the air. Whereas if was in a front two with say Norris then it may work. Must be frustrating for him though

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Dennis was also staying up when we were defending corners. While it’s a tactic I support as it keeps more of the opponents out of the attack, maybe another way of helping Dennis conserve energy for use in attack.

Different topic, but Grimsby fans are very unhappy about the incident where McGee, having won the header took out Wilson in the follow through, meaning he had to be subbed. When Luke jumps, he leads with his knee, had the officials seen it clearly could have been in trouble for endangering an opponent.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Like most, if not all, keepers when stretching in going to catch a ball McGee protects his body with his knee...in this case he was heading the ball and "leading with his knee" would only have limited his ability to reach the ball. I believe his forward momentum was the cause of the impact with the Grimsby forward.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Like most, if not all, keepers when stretching in going to catch a ball McGee protects his body with his knee...in this case he was heading the ball and "leading with his knee" would only have limited his ability to reach the ball. I believe his forward momentum was the cause of the impact with the Grimsby forward.
Haven’t seen it myself, but read that the Milan keeper got sent off last night by VAR for a very similar challenge and leading with the knee. Not for the first time am grateful we don’t have VAR at this level

Player
Manager
John King
I think Dennis needs to play in a front two to see the best of him. The way we set up yesterday he was expected to be a battering ram, chase down defenders and run the channels, a role he is no more suited to than other natural finishers like Aldridge or Muir.

I understand that Adkins is persisting with 433 with a lone central striker to ensure we press from the front, but it is not a set up Dennis will ever be comfortable in.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
McGee was also injured in the challenge, by a forward who never won or wasn’t going to win the ball and whose forward momentum also contributed to the contact. C’est la vie.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I think Dennis needs to play in a front two to see the best of him. The way we set up yesterday he was expected to be a battering ram, chase down defenders and run the channels, a role he is no more suited to than other natural finishers like Aldridge or Muir.

I understand that Adkins is persisting with 433 with a lone central striker to ensure we press from the front, but it is not a set up Dennis will ever be comfortable in.
Totally agree.
Atm the best available "battering ram" we have is Jolley. Not great, but it is what it is.
Need Norris back and/or pair Dennis with Norris or Jolley.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I watched the highlights back today and both goals conceded were very poor.
Made me think, even in the wins against the likes of Bradford and Harrogate saw the opposition have half decent chances, especially the former who could have been two or three up in the first 20 minutes.

Clearly personnel issues with Davies struggling for form. I’m not sure Yarney is up to it yet and think the full backs are average at best.
But the system isn’t helping us either. 4-3-3 is putting us under too much pressure.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd agree about the full backs. I think we are being picked apart from the wide areas a lot more than we used to be. I actually quite like Yarney, he seems quite cool and calm with it. Davies is limited and I think he becomes exposed in a weaker defence such as this one. He's too flat footed.

Player
Manager
John King
I still think a major issue is the way we are setting up tactically and the lack of protection from midfield, rather than the individual failings of the centre halves. Davies and Turnbull were at the heart of a very solid defence last season.

However, the constant changes of selection in the defence have not helped and there can't be a proper understanding between the current back four. I also think Wood is suspect defensively, although good going forward.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tend to agree with RLCs main point on this one; the way we set up and the lack of stability are significant factors in why our defence is looking so wobbly.

Too early to call on Wood, he made some mistakes yesterday, but wasn't alone in that regard. Bradford fans think he's a better left-back than the one they currently have (Rides). By no means the finished article, but I've been quite impressed by Yarney so far and he can pick a pass when carrying the ball out from the back.