• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (2) v Grimsby (2)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Grimsby

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (2) v Grimsby (2)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, October 7, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 7, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Next up we have Grimsby at home on Saturday as we try and build on Tuesdays win. The visitors still have Paul Hurst at the helm and after promotion had a respectable 11th place finish last season, haven’t started this season great sitting 16th with 3 wins from 11 games. Like us they have a very poor away record and haven’t won any of the 5 games on their travels this season. Ex rovers Otis Khan and Luke Waterfall remain on their books and they have dangermen up top with Danny Rose and Abo Eisa who has 5 league goals this season.

As for us I’m expecting a few tweaks. Same keeper and back four but perhaps Morris in for Walker in midfield if Nigel is happy it gives the defence enough support.

Up top I’d expect hawkes and Saunders again to start and possibly Dennis replacing Jolley although not sure the former is suited to a central role in a 4-3-3.

Prediction: another win for us but the defence will be tested

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I don't think there will be many changes and think it will be a tough game with a home win 2 1.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I think we'll win this one. The home form is getting better and we have the grit needed to grind out results. We really do need to win this to get some kind of momentum going as I'm far from convinced about the away form.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I think a win providing that we perform as we did in the second half Tuesday!
So I'm going for our first draw this season, I'm still concerned about the constant changing of the rear guard.
But I think that if Walker is fit he will start, because of his height and his passing. We need height for set pieces.

Reactions: Boz

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Got a feeling it'll be a bore draw. Hoping for goals from us obviously.
Think it'll be the same side with Jolley flogging his guts put down the middle. Admittedly Jenno and Dennis are better footballers, but I don't think the have the legs for it. Jenno better in the air and can get around the midfield well enough, but the runs chasing forwards down in the channels etc would be a stretch.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nigel Adkins in pre-match suggested only 3 likely to be out through injury; Merrie back training on grass, Luke Norris, still a bit away though also made clear that this was a different injury to the one he was recovering from when he joined and Leake, done his hamstring and sounds furthest away from a game. Guess that means Lewis is available.

This game will be a harder test than against an out of sorts Bradford side, although the Mariners haven't been in great form themselves prior to their midweek win. Although Hendry did well playing the deeper role after Walker went off, I think Morris and Jennings don't offer enough defensively for Kieron to start ahead of Walker, though I would like to see him in the starting xi. If Walker is struggling for fitness and we have another right-back option*, could always move O'Connor into midfield. * Don't know why Pike didn't make the bench on Tuesday or if Starbuck is ready, Up front we'll probably stick with the Jolley Saunders combo, while it would be good to see Rob Apter get some time even if from the bench.

I'd like to see us pick up the win that pulls us further away from bottom two, but think we'll drop points in this one. Though expecting goals.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Nigel Adkins in pre-match suggested only 3 likely to be out through injury; Merrie back training on grass, Luke Norris, still a bit away though also made clear that this was a different injury to the one he was recovering from when he joined and Leake, done his hamstring and sounds furthest away from a game. Guess that means Lewis is available.

This game will be a harder test than against an out of sorts Bradford side, although the Mariners haven't been in great form themselves prior to their midweek win. Although Hendry did well playing the deeper role after Walker went off, I think Morris and Jennings don't offer enough defensively for Kieron to start ahead of Walker, though I would like to see him in the starting xi. If Walker is struggling for fitness and we have another right-back option*, could always move O'Connor into midfield. * Don't know why Pike didn't make the bench on Tuesday or if Starbuck is ready, Up front we'll probably stick with the Jolley Saunders combo, while it would be good to see Rob Apter get some time even if from the bench.

I'd like to see us pick up the win that pulls us further away from bottom two, but think we'll drop points in this one. Though expecting goals.
I do like Pike and he's a good stand-in for LOC. However, I think if Walker isn't getting run ragged in the first half, he does provide a calmness when on the ball. Then from then on in Hendry looks good (playing in his preferred role) as Walker's replacement on the hour. SO maybe no need for LOC to move from RB.

Reactions: Boz

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Wow gonna be a quiet game guys only 4600 sold so far thats not good for the club we need to pick up a few good wins to encourage the fans back

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah. It doesn't help when the away end is empty either. Let's get behind them and get another three points.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Some light reading before the ko

Come on Rovers!

Attachments

• Tranmere_GrimsbyT_SBL2_7102023.pdf
    7.3 MB · Views: 63

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Quite a brave selection from Adkins. We gain in attacking ability but lose Jolley’s defending from the front and Walker’s height and defensive acumen. Will the gains outweigh the losses? Think I’d have started Dennis but stuck with Walker, will be interesting to see how things unfold.

Pike behind Starbuck in the pecking order now it seems and no place on the bench for Lewis or Hughes, though loanee James Norris is a sub.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
1-1 and deserved. We’ve been poor since taking the lead

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
After a bright start we look a total shambles at the back.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Deservedly losing at half time, need big improvement if we are to get anything out of this