• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1 Notlob 3

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
After a generally impressive and encouraging performance, Rovers shot themselves in the foot with some poor defending in the second half to gift Bolton victory. We matched our higher level opponents for long spells, and there were some very good individual displays, but their first and second goals were almost comically poor defensively: two mistakes by McChrystal and (uncharacteristically) Holmes gifting Afobe a chance six yards out, and another free header from a set piece.

I thought the midfield trio of Wallace, Robinson and Palmer were very good: Wallace was outstanding again, probably the best midfielder on either side, and Palmer had probably his best game for us. Elsewhere, Thompson looked quite bright on the right hand side in the second half.

When Bolton upped the tempo their extra level of class showed, and their movement up front caused us problems, but in open play we coped reasonably well. Afobe was their best player by some distance, scoring a great third goal, but we would probably have conceded the first and second had we been playing Heswall or Lairds.

On the whole a decent performance, but it is not nice to lose to Bolton under any circumstances, and our defending must improve when the real action starts.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Once again Ronnie has singled out the defence, and rightly so, for playing poorly (3 conceded again, like at Fleetwood).

Whereas in the last game he singled out Chilvers, this time its Holmes, who probably wishes he had gone to Celtic ! Once again it sounds like McChrystal has done himself no favours whatsoever.

At least he knows where the problem lies, but with only 10 days to go till the season starts, we could do with Goodi back asap.

RLCs report and Ronnies comments show promise for our offensive display and it sounds good that Robbo/Wallace/Palmer did well.

Did Cassidy / Akpro show signs of a partnership ?

Hopefully they will have a back up plan if Tehoue doesnt sign...as we'll still be short up front.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Went last night..

Thought all close season signings where average at beat..

Joe thompson being the most average!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Think the squad is starting to take shape and I hope Tehoue signs as I think he has the potential to be developed and may be play at a higher level.

Ronnie and people on this forum ar expressing concerns over the defence. To be honest I always though we would be ok even with the loss of Buchanan and potentially Holmes (top players)as there were decent personnel who were not far short and could have provided cover in their place. However, I have been banging on about concerns re Centre Backs since earlier in the summer ie Goodi not getting younger, McCrystal may have injury worries and Ash did have a confidence blip last season..........not much room for manouvre if any of them wobble. I was surprised at the time when expert contributors never picked up on this or thought we Ok here. It would be a shame if we don't get this department right as I do like the look of the squad.....could be a top 8 and with a bit of luck....:) Need to find a big yard dog who can organise.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure about Tehoue. He does have potential but if you see what he has done in his career, it doesnt amount to much other than being known as a super sub at Orient - who ended up letting him go. Swindon didnt want him either

Best we can expect though I suppose and hopefully Ronnie can get the best out of him so he should be given a chance if he signs.

The defence is a worry but I trust Ronnie to bring someone in - whether they are any good remains to be seen.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Is part of the problem with the defence that they are not getting as much protection from midfield post-Welsh? I've only seen one pre-season; Marine and in that things improved when Danny Harrison came on (not words I've used that often). We didn't so readily surrender possession or allow as much time on the ball when he was brought on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We could really do with a solid centre back to fill the gap. Goodison as much as a legend he is, isn't getting any younger and will struggle with fitness this season. Midfield is fine, we have enough quality there, but defence has to be a concern.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Boz, i think you may have a point about the lack of protection from midfield though it maybe different in the league.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Welsh didn't offer much protection anyway.

Individual mistakes can't really be accounted for. We've made a lot of them in pre-season. The likes of Ash and Holmsey haven't turned into bad players overnight. Goodi is coming back and Ronnie is trying to bring someone in. We'll be fine IMO.

Player
Manager
John King
Boz may be on to something regarding the lack of midfield protection, and we did look vulnerable to the counter attack on Tuesday when conceding possession in the opposition's half.

However, the first and second goals that turned the course of the game both resulted from individual mistakes; the majority of the bad goals we have given away in pre season have been caused by poor marking from set plays. I certainly don't think the failure to keep possession in midfield is an issue, as to me both Wallace and Palmer look more comfortable on the ball than Welsh.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If Ronnie does manage to find a new centre-back, it sounds like he plans to play him in the first team. I expect Goodi to be the other regular choice. If so, that releases Ash to be the defensive midfielder. He's too good to leave on the bench and has done well in that role before.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
If Ronnie does manage to find a new centre-back, it sounds like he plans to play him in the first team. I expect Goodi to be the other regular choice. If so, that releases Ash to be the defensive midfielder. He's too good to leave on the bench and has done well in that role before.

please god not ash taylor in midfield again

he is prob the least competent passer of a ball in the squad

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Goodi and Ash have to be the central defensive partnership.

Apart from a dodgy spell early in the season, Ash got better as the season went on and they formed a good pairing important when you consider we didnt score many so need to keep clean sheets.

A lot will depend whether one of Palmer/Wallace can sit a bit deeper or whether Harrison/Power would be up to it.

But our defensive record was excellent last season so apart from the left back slot, lets keep it as it was.

Player
Manager
John King
I would be amazed if Ash was used in midfield, particularly given the options we have for the two central midfield positions. Everybody agrees that centre back is Taylor's best role (including the Welsh selectors), and Ronnie has talked of him playing at higher levels in that position, so I would imagine that is where he will be staying.

I think RM's comments about a loanee coming straight into the team just tell us how little he rates McChrystal.