• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Rovers (0) v Leicester U21 (1) Pizza Cup

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A lacklustre affair, albeit we dominated the ball, hit the woodwork three times and should not have lost.

These games are glorified training sessions and I don't think Adkins will have learnt much, if anything, tonight. However, he might have learned more if he had played Dennis in a front two rather than leaving him isolated in the 433 again.

The biggest concern for me was how poor we looked defensively on the few occasions that Leicester did attack and the goal resulted from an error.

I don't think any of the fringe players did enough to suggest they should start on Saturday, although Walker had a very good game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hopefully Walker benefits from a fitness perspective but we do have defensive issues in the squad for sure

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Not the best of games but having hit the woodwork 3 times and forcing some decent saves from their keeper it was one we didnt deserve to lose. Big error from Varney led to the decisive Leicester goal and apart from that Murphy not really tested. Great performance from Walker who played some quality balls throughout the match and also decent performances from Apter and Rhys Hughes when he came on for the second half. Lewis and Dennis fairly anonymous throughout.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Problem is we have to wait till jan to get some decent players in by then we will be in real trouble if things don't improve. Even Adkins is struggling with this lot and why stick with a formation that is not working crazy

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Haven’t seen any of the action, but agree with RLC and AM that it was a wasted opportunity to try a different formation using Dennis in a 442. It may be that 433 is the best formation for this particular squad, regardless of individual players, but unless we try other formation options, it’s not possible to be sure.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
4-5-1 when we are defending which is when it matters, seems to suit our squad. Trying 4-4-2 which only works in some people's heads when Dennis and Norris are fit, is not a convincing strategy as it relies on both being available which they haven't been yet (I think). I'd consider it as a last ditch option through subbing but having Taylor and Hawkes joining attacks wide seems a better option generally. At the mo Jolley and Dennis sharing the spearhead seems about best, I'd resist Saunders have a run as he tends to fall over when shooting and chances aren't plentiful. Where is Norris?
Suspect Adkins has a long list of leavers by now!!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think several different combinations of Dennis, Taylor, Saunders and Jolley are capable of playing in a 442.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I would be more than happy with 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 if we weren’t in a relegation scrap. But we are, and therefore the current system isn’t really working. So other formations are reasonable to be considered but Nigel seems to be sticking with the 4-3-3 for now.
We do have options for a front two. Not perfect but 4-4-2 then allows us to give the back 4 more protection.
In form Crewe will be another test for our up to now dodgy back line

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A 442 doesn't just have to involve a target man type like Luke Norris and another. While preferring Connor Jennings to be deployed as currently, he's also capable of playing in a 2 and is decent in the air, where some of the other options are less so.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In form Crewe will be another test for our up to now dodgy back line
They are top goalscorers in the division with 28 so a real test indeed!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
They are top goalscorers in the division with 28 so a real test indeed!
Wow I knew they were doing well but didn’t know they were the leagues top scorers! Even Nevitt who has mainly been a sub has 4 in the league I think.
I’ve reluctantly forked out a hefty £27 for a ticket even though last year we lost and Crewe were a lot poorer than they are now (Nevitt missing a sitter from memory for us)