• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Rovers (0) v Leicester (2)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leicester

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (0) v Leicester (2)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, August 29, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, August 29, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

drwhoman

The concern for me is that the appointment of Dawes is just one of many curious decisions made by Palios in recent years. We have been on a gently downward trend since 2020 and perhaps that trajectory is going to get steeper now.

The club has a similar feel to the last years under PJ, with the appointment of Barnes, Parry etc. I don't think Palios really wants to be here and new ownership and a complete clear out at the club will probably be required for significant improvement.
I think he has reached that point, as many of us of a certain age do, that it is all too hard now but where do the new owners come from who are not carpet baggers?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
but where do the new owners come from who are not carpet baggers
That is the burning question. I think we'll be waiting for some time yet.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
That is the burning question. I think we'll be waiting for some time yet.
I think he might have to lower his asking price. PJ wrote off a huge sum when he passed the club on to Palios. I appreciate MP is not in the same wealth bracket, but ultimately he might have to accept making a significant loss to move the club on.

drwhoman

I think he might have to lower his asking price. PJ wrote off a huge sum when he passed the club on to Palios. I appreciate MP is not in the same wealth bracket, but ultimately he might have to accept making a significant loss to move the club on.
I agree RLC. On a different subject, there is a nice article in the Guardian on Joe Murphy. It is 23 years since he played against Leicester at Wembley, our next opponents. There was apparently talk of him then joining Liverpool but it never happened. I recall Frankie Lane actually making the switch years earlier but without great success.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree RLC. On a different subject, there is a nice article in the Guardian on Joe Murphy. It is 23 years since he played against Leicester at Wembley, our next opponents. There was apparently talk of him then joining Liverpool but it never happened. I recall Frankie Lane actually making the switch years earlier but without great success.
Oh, poor Frankie Lane. One of just a handful of Rovers players signed by the Reds. Trevor Storton was another. Neither was a success and I can't remember one who was. On the other hand, Everton have usually bought from us successfully - Derek Mountfield, Steve Simonson and of course Dixie Dean!

I am always surprised by how few Rovers players were picked up by our city clubs, even in the good days. How did they miss Roy McFarland, Steve Coppell and Aaron Cresswell?

drwhoman

Oh, poor Frankie Lane. One of just a handful of Rovers players signed by the Reds. Trevor Storton was another. Neither was a success and I can't remember one who was. On the other hand, Everton have usually bought from us successfully - Derek Mountfield, Steve Simonson and of course Dixie Dean!

I am always surprised by how few Rovers players were picked up by our city clubs, even in the good days. How did they miss Roy McFarland, Steve Coppell and Aaron Cresswell?
Good point BBTC. I suspect that today those three players would have been picked up at an earlier age by Liverpool given the enhanced scouting networks these days and the on and off field education now offered at KIrkby. One thing for sure it that today you very rarely see players picked up from the Football League pyramid that even get into top Premier League squads never mind first teams. They might have more chance at the likes of Luton but signing for them would be an uphill struggle! The top teams really do seem to scout the world these days as they think they have got closer to home covered. The continent was the hunting ground for top talent in recent years but increasingly teams are going to South America. The likes of Caicedo come to mind. Talk of Liverpool signing a 22yr old midfielder from Brazil.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
As I understand it Shankly signed Lane to play in the Central league for more money of course and be there is case a fairly young Clemence got injured. They were both the same age and there was never any question of challenging the England No 1. Not sure who took over the role but Steve Ogrizovic picked up with the same outcome although I think he had ideas of progression.
The latter named beat Yorkshire in the cup playing for Shropshire, a very tall quick bowler he was!!!
Not sure Simonsen had a successful Blues career, in fact a bit of a conspiracy theory.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Hope Dawsey relents and goes 442 tonight.
Assuming Norris unavailable I'd prefer a Jolley/Dennis up front.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pleased hawkes starts but a shame Dennis still isn’t getting any action in his best position.

I’m guessing it’s 3 at the back with merrie and pike as wing backs. Otherwise it would be pike at left back and Yarney still at RB. Merrie in the middle.

Hopefully we give a good account of ourselves as don’t want a pasting before Saturday

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another strange line-up. Surprised we don’t start with Dennis or even Hemmings up front.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Pleased hawkes starts but a shame Dennis still isn’t getting any action in his best position.

I’m guessing it’s 3 at the back with merrie and pike as wing backs. Otherwise it would be pike at left back and Yarney still at RB. Merrie in the middle.

Hopefully we give a good account of ourselves as don’t want a pasting before Saturday
Tbh I think that might 433 again. Hope not.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Probably will be 4 3 3 as Dawes seems determined to stick with it regardless, an odd selection yet again.
Leicester have picked a pretty strong team, we could get a runaround

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Parky was with the back 4 so Yarney at RB and pike at LB. A bit strange after Yarney struggled on Saturday and merrie had a half decent second half at LB.
Assume CJ up front which I would have preferred Hemmings and Connor in midfield, perhaps resting Morris.

God help Dawes if he say takes hawkes off for Lewis if we’re losing!!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Dewsbury Hall picking up space between the lines and looking dangerous

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Half time and we’re doing well. They dominated the opening exchanges but we’ve grown into the game. Yarney doing well. Pike a bit less so and needs to stop crosses coming in albeit he’s up against Albrighton who is decent.
Just need to be a bit more careful when we have the ball in their third and we could create something.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Half time and we’re doing well. They dominated the opening exchanges but we’ve grown into the game. Yarney doing well. Pike a bit less so and needs to stop crosses coming in albeit he’s up against Albrighton who is decent.
Just need to be a bit more careful when we have the ball in their third and we could create something.
They are a good side but not really cut us apart yet snd don't think Murphy has had a save to make yet.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Only going on the commentary but Albrighton seems to be getting a lot of crosses in. Thankfully not taken advantage of in the opening half. Rovers probably the closer to scoring.