• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 0 Udders 2

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This game kind of went how I thought it would. We probably matched them in effort but they had more than us in most departments. You only had to look at the wingers to see - we had still unproven Dale and some kid from West Brom - and they had Pilkington/Roberts who probably have over 500 games between them.

Cant blame Les for it - the annoucements on the budgets recently only highlights how poor our resources are and Udders are a million miles away from us.

That said, we did have a chance with the penalty and like Les, I was a bit surprised no one like Enoch, Welshy, even Zoom stepped up rather that some kid in such a big game.

Gunnar doesnt fill me with me confidence but the worst part for me was just the total lack of creativity - only 1 shot on target in the 90 minutes. I felt that even though it was 0-1 for a long period, Udders were always in control and never really had to get out of 1st gear.

The fact is that they had an experienced well gelled side full of confidence whereas we had 4 loanees in a team low in confidence.

Was nice to see Ash back and even tho Joss is to return, the way ITM is playing and that Enoch/Dale to me both looked low in confidence, it could be a long hard winter given the games we have coming up.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That said, we did have a chance with the penalty and like Les, I was a bit surprised no one like Enoch, Welshy, even Zoom stepped up rather that some kid in such a big game.
I was really disappointed that one of the senior players didn't step up. And so was Les by the sounds of it. To be fair to Lateef, he struck it quite well but was matched by an equally good save.

Gutted we are out of this to be honest.
This it going to be a tough old Xmas. Three successive defeats at home and we travel to Swindon next. 8-[

Player
Liam Palmer
Fair play to the lad, he picked the ball up straight off and wanted to take the penalty. There was then a good couple of minutes of faffing about, even Goodison was complaining about the time it took. I said to my mate "he's never going to score this now" and sadly I was right.

I always thought you sorted out penalty takers before the match, in the dressing room.

Other than that I agree with the comments above.

Trying to take a couple of positives - Ash came back in and looked pretty fit, a little less than sharp but that will come. Enoch battled away but gets little support with Dale and Akins so isolated out wide. Thought McGurk looked our most creative player when he came on. He played a beautiful ball into the penalty box - sadly it was Goodison on the end of it and the result was pretty comical.

With most of the squad getting back to fitness we should have some more choices and competition for places.

I am not as pessimistic as some.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Les has actually said that one of the senior pros was earmarked to take one if it came up - but went missing so obviously didnt fancy it.

We need ITM who although hasnt done much recently, seems to be the only one who can take a spot kick.

On the subject of Neilsen - for the 1st goal I thought he came off his line a bit too quickly which made up the mind of Rhodes to lift it over him. He also had that dodgy moment for the disallowed goal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Neilson has a few too many dodgy moments for my liking. Neat finish by Rhodes but should he have been that far out? I'm not convinced by him at all.

Also, what's the point of having wingers if you don't use them? McGurk has a little more potential but he needs to stay fit and get a good run of games behind him.

Nice to see Ash back.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
Poor result but at least its not the league.

Didnt go the game myself nor did many people given the poor attendance and it doesnt look like I missed much other than more goalkeeping blunders and seniors pro's bottling it.

Does anyone have Enoch on facebook? he was posting on it last night and made a comment about how people wouldnt be so hostile if they knew what the players had to work with, it was an interesting comment. He also apologised for the result

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
he was posting on it last night and made a comment about how people wouldnt be so hostile if they knew what the players had to work with
Yes, the tough life of being a pro footballer. :roll:

Player
Jimmy Harvey
There are so many problems with us at the moment its embarrasing. Fair play to Hudderfield they have built a good squad of players and at times pulled us apart last night. Collister is better than Neilson however another brilliant bit of decision making by the club saw us sign him without watching him first and promise to play him when fit. So he will keep his place.
We need to jib off these loanees they areny helping the clubs long term future. Am I right in thinking that Les said at the start of the season we would be looking to develop young talent then sell them on? How the friggin hell are we supposed to do that when the players are not ours! We may as well bring some of the youth team in and give them a go they cant do any worse than what is currently playing.
Am gutted about the result and really thought a trip to Wembley was important to lift the gloom surrounding Prenton Park at the moment. After watching the way we huffed and puffed and after coming to the realisation that things are not going to get any better part of my passion for the club died. Am going to give the place a swerve for a few weeks and see if that reignites the old flame, I cant accept that PJ is running the club slowly into the ground and watching something that has been such a large part of my life for such a long time die is too much to take. Its not just this one game that has made me feel like this its been a steady build up over a period of time tuesday was just the final nail in the coffin.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wasn't there, but it sounded grim. Re the penalty, I remember Myrie-Williams taking and scoring one a few years ago, when ITM and Greenacre were off the field and none of the senior players stepped up to the plate. Fortunately he scored. Don't blame LE-A, at least he had the bottle to take it, but wonder who was originally earmarked for penalty duties. Of the players on the pitch at the time, I'd have opted for Wootton simply because he scored in a previous shoot-out.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As has been commented by many people, I think our major problem at the moment is a surplus of loanees and a lack of continuity, stability and experience in the team, but I can't help thinking that Les added to our problems last night by dropping Cresswell and Blanchard (who have been two of our most consistent players this season), creating even more uncertainty.

I think the style of play has also become a major issue again. On the few occasions when we kept the ball on the ground and sprayed it wide, we looked dangerous (Akins header in the first half, Jennings' play in the lead up to the penalty) but hoofball is well and truly back in fashion. The majority of the time we simply hacked the ball aimlessly downfield (Grandison the major culprit again), and that includes Nielsen who kicked long every time, even when there wasn't a Rovers striker in the opposition half.

Our decent spell of results a couple of months ago was achieved with more variety in the play, and I think Les and others must look at themselves and ask whether their approach is the right one.

As I said in a previous post, and has been commented by many others, I think a decision also needs to be made regarding Nielsen, who simply hasn't been good enough and has in my view directly cost us goals in every game he has played.

At least we will have Labadie and possibly Broomes back for Saturday. It is vital that we scrape a point at Swindon and avoid a downward spiral in the tough run over Christmas.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Yes, the tough life of being a pro footballer. :roll:

You miss the point entirely.

Enoch Showunmi If you knew what us players have to work with you'd be less aggressive towards the lads. I meant motivation from staff. But we should have motivated ourselves more.
Tuesday at 23:08

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I take it all back.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I take it from the few snippets you have offered that he is questioning Les's managerial skills ?

All a bit dubious really (if revealing), and potentially a disciplinary issue if the club got wind of it.

Player
Goodison
Is this actually his facebook or someone pretending to be him?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
its not really him just somebody pretending to be him

Player
Goodison
Players dont tend to have pictures from the official website as their profile photos...

Player
Goodison
Be careful what you read into facebook profiles, even if it his profile, it might not always be him posting.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd have thought there would be something written into their contract about this kind of thing. It could cause mayhem otherwise with players staff and their relationships. There's loads we don't know about what goes on behind the scenes and with good reason. I'm dubious about this..