• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 0 Blackpool 0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another encouraging performance and a game we should have won. Both sides had chances and periods on top, but I thought we had the better opportunities and shaded it. We would have won had we not been denied a stonewall penalty for a foul on Mekki.

Individually, I thought Jeff Hughes was excellent and Maynard did well in a deep-lying midfield role in the first half, which seems to suit him. Cook and Norwood both looked sharp in the first half, but I don't think the system we played will get the best out of them over the course of a season (of which more below).

The tactics were a concern. We set up in the same 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 as last season, with Cook on his own up front in the first half (where he gradually became isolated) and Norwood on the wing. When Connor Jennings came on he was played in midfield, where he was too deep and less effective than previous games, and Norwood operated as lone front man. I appreciate we were playing League opposition tonight which may be why we set up cautiously, but I hope to God we are not going to use those tactics at home to North Ferriby and Sutton. We have a number of attacking options now, so to stick Norwood on the wing and Jennings in midfield, where they are effectively neutered, makes no sense to me.

I just hope Brabin plays two strikers at home this season (or at least Jennings in behind a striker) and does not revert to his old habit of sticking square pegs in round holes and setting up far too cautiously at home.

I don't want to appear too negative as the performance was generally very good, but GB surely has to learn from the errors of last season.

Last edited:
M

Mal

On a positive side, the passing game when played was good. They had a few attempts on target. I do agree though that 1 up front at home is negative.there were times when the goal kick went straight down middle and primarily to a Blackpool player. Overall, I enjoyed the game. They look more like a team at this stage than they did last season.

drwhoman

Thanks for the reports guys -great! One concern I have is the small size of the senior squad. 18 if you include Gumbs? It only needs a few injuries and we will be down to the youngsters unless GB, again has not learnt from last season, in signing unfit out of contract players. He may of course be still waiting on one or two people. I hope so.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think the size of the squad is a problem. We have plenty of cover now other than in a couple of defensive positions, and we still have the budget to bring in a couple more players. I think the bigger issue will be getting the right balance in the side with the number of options we have, particularly up front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds fairly encouraging. No trialists featured tonight, presume either moved onto better things or binned off. Gumbs not in the squad and Duggan and Pilling only on the bench disappoints me a little, as I would like the manager to be fully aware of the abilities of the younger players to avoid any ill-judged recruitment if we already have better players on the books. Maybe they'll get a run out at Fylde.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We set up in the same 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 as last season, with Cook on his own up front in the first half (where he gradually became isolated) and Norwood on the wing.
Ohh, I really do hope that doesn't continue into the new season.

M

Mal

Boz, with only two games left prior to Bromley, I think GB is/was trying to finalise the team that will start and ensure they can mostly last the 90 mins.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Thanks for the report RLC. Not a fan of the formation/s, but if we go with this and try to accommodate forwards in deeper lying roles it is a cop out and definitely square pegs...again. Recruit the right players for the desired formation. Who would have been left back in that back four this time?

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with mal that now is not the time to be experimenting with the youngsters. We need to get set for Bromley, and only gumbs is really ready for involvement with the first team squad anyway. In reply to higgy, Hughes played left back in the first half, ridehalgh in the second.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Thank for the clarification RLC. Agreed immediate priority is now Bromley I expect G.B. will use training to weight up trialists and youngsters now.

M

Mal

On a lighter note, if McNulty wore sunglasses, his catchphrase could be "It's frothy, man". You have to be of a certain age lol

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Surprised that Gumbs didn't feature at all last night, given how well he's done to date pre-season. While I know Hughes has played left-back before, it would be better to see him given a good run-out in the centre of the park. Arguably now is the best time to be trying out younger players so there is a good idea of their strengths and limitations, should the opportunity arise.

Mal's remark reminds me that we had a chemistry teacher with a habit of spitting when he was speaking, who was nicknamed Cresta.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As RLC and Higgy suggest, you hope GB doesn't have his head in the sand when it comes to our attacking threat, or, that we simply have too many options for him to get the best out of them.

Norwood much prefers playing on his own up front and was successful in that role last season. Cook is a much less mobile and a target man, but more of a natural finisher, who also got over 20 goals last season. Add to that Connor Jennings who won't have come to sit on the bench and must be played in an advanced role. It'll be interesting what system we play to get the best out of all 3. Norwood won't be happy shunted on the wing especially if results don't go our way.

Kirby has looked in good shape and featured a lot pre season so a big year for him.