• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rooney

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Bad appointment which was doomed to fail from the start

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Sure was we know that too well with some of the managers we have hadl lol

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Why do they do it? Who there thought employing Rooney was a good idea? They went from 6th to 20th with him in charge.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Why do they do it? Who there thought employing Rooney was a good idea? They went from 6th to 20th with him in charge.
That's the Americans for you.... they wanted a more attacking type of football, be careful what you wish for..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ridiculous to sack Eustace in the first place when they were 6th. They did it years ago sacking Gary Rowett to bring in Zola as manager (not Calvin!), and that didn’t work either.

I suspect Gerrard is close to being sacked by his Saudi club and it just shows the likes of him, Rooney and even Lampard can’t guarantee being a successful manager.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Ridiculous to sack Eustace in the first place when they were 6th. They did it years ago sacking Gary Rowett to bring in Zola as manager (not Calvin!), and that didn’t work either.

I suspect Gerrard is close to being sacked by his Saudi club and it just shows the likes of him, Rooney and even Lampard can’t guarantee being a successful manager.
Yes, quite ridiculous. But I bet one manager who won't get Rooney's old job is Steven Gerrard, after his unsuccessful spell at rivals Aston Villa. ;)

I have always thought it was hard for any retired player (star or journeyman) to step into a manager's shoes. Ideally, they need a spell as a coach first. After that, surely it would be a good idea to spend time as an assistant manager learning the ropes under an experienced pro who is looking to retire. Or alternatively, have a semi-retired manager as an assistant/mentor. It did not work for Dawes, but maybe when Nigel wants to retire in a few years after leading us into the Championship, Neil Danns will have been groomed to take over. ;) ;) ;)

Reactions: Ian
Yes, it‘s two almost completely different skillsets. Highly respected ex pros need more varied skills in their locker than they’ll have honed, or even used, in their playing careers if they’re to make it as managers. A stellar reputation as a player will only get you so far and, just by itself, not very far at all

Always been the same, Rooney, Lampard etc today, the likes of Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton decades ago, and I’m sure you could go back much further than them too. Contrast with the likes of Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Klopp etc. Or, for an even starker contrast, Les Parry to the megastar he replaced (and whose mess he fixed)! ;)

Last edited:

tyke

Player
Geenacre
Yes, quite ridiculous. But I bet one manager who won't get Rooney's old job is Steven Gerrard, after his unsuccessful spell at rivals Aston Villa. ;)

I have always thought it was hard for any retired player (star or journeyman) to step into a manager's shoes. Ideally, they need a spell as a coach first. After that, surely it would be a good idea to spend time as an assistant manager learning the ropes under an experienced pro who is looking to retire. Or alternatively, have a semi-retired manager as an assistant/mentor. It did not work for Dawes, but maybe when Nigel wants to retire in a few years after leading us into the Championship, Neil Danns will have been groomed to take over. ;) ;) ;)

It strikes me the managerial success rate among really top English players is quite small, though I don't know what to compare it with. Bobby Robson, Jack Charlton, Gareth Southgate. Who else?

It strikes me the managerial success rate among really top English players is quite small, though I don't know what to compare it with. Bobby Robson, Jack Charlton, Gareth Southgate. Who else?
You could possibly argue for Hoddle or Keegan or, before them, Jimmy Armfield. But I agree, they’re few and far between.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, but the same can probably be said of many foreign managers. Sven Goran Erickson, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho, Juergen Klopp et al were not top players.

The strange thing is that before Wenger, nearly every league manager was British and our coaches were in great demand abroad (eg Roy Hodgson). Now most EPL managers are foreign and you hear less about our managers like Robson or El Tel abroad. I wonder why? It’s probably because European and South American football is ahead of ours, although I’m not convinced.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes, but the same can probably be said of many foreign managers. Sven Goran Erickson, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho, Juergen Klopp et al were not top players.

The strange thing is that before Wenger, nearly every league manager was British and our coaches were in great demand abroad (eg Roy Hodgson). Now most EPL managers are foreign and you hear less about our managers like Robson or El Tel abroad. I wonder why? It’s probably because European and South American football is ahead of ours, although I’m not convinced.
Against that Pep was a top player and top manager

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Against that Pep was a top player and top manager
Yes and so was Roberto Mancini, Frank Beckenbauer, Johan Cruyff and others. The point is that there is no correlation between playing ability and managerial success. Anyone who knows what makes a good manager and could predict who will succeed would make a fortune.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not Rooney related but the Cowleys have gone to Colchester

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Karl Robinson linked with the Salford job. Apparently wants to manage at a higher level but is being offered silly money