• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Released / retained list

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
No real surprises.

Thought merrie would get another year. Option on Turnbull confirmed. A shame the likes of mikey Davies and Kane have been released but have to trust the manager that they simply aren’t good enough.

Hopefully Luke Norris signs a new deal.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I wudnt have kept Merrie but agree with the rest, as for Norris it's bit tricky as he's the highest earner but when fit ideal.

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree with all of those decisions, and it is good that Adkins is on the same page as the majority of supporters.

Hopefully we can ship Dennis out too. I will be surprised if Hawkes is still here in August as well.
Yes agree about Hawkes and Dennis. Neither suited to the style Nigel wants us to play.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Clarity at last, clearly the Turnbull situation was never reported properly. If Merrie is better than McAlear fine, but that means I'd bin both. I'd have let Hawkes go and cannot see how we can sell him, but Doohan springs to mind.
We need to find a CH better than Yarney and two midfielders better than Merrie.
The loanees going back is standard, so there maybe room for them returning.
I do think Dennis will get a deal elsewhere that we walk away from him.
Clearly Nigel believes he do better than some of those released, several won't be replaced of course.

ADD

Player
Norwood
So do I understand from the comments that Turnbull had an automatic extension that we had to honour? I assume that would have been a certain number of games played?
Of the rest no surprises as others have said.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
So do I understand from the comments that Turnbull had an automatic extension that we had to honour? I assume that would have been a certain number of games played?
Of the rest no surprises as others have said.
That's my reading of it regarding Turnbull

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Bit odd be surprised if we didn't want Turnbull or Merrie wanted to leave.

That‘s a very decent 15 or 16 man squad so far. But, of the 9 or 10 he's looking to bring in, I reckon 3 or 4 will need to be very influential if we’re to be up at the top end next season. Intrigued to see what type we go for.

Problem with being so settled now compared to previous years is that the wait for new signings will feel even longer than usual!

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yesgreat some of the dead wood is shipped on we can now concentrate on getting the right players in and quality thats required

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
That is quite a clear out, but definitely needed. I too am expecting Hawkes and Dennis to be sold but also maybe Turnbull, who clearly doesn’t want to stay as the club had to activate the contractual extension. I am expecting we will then need about 13 players, which will probably include two or three loanees.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
That is quite a clear out, but definitely needed. I too am expecting Hawkes and Dennis to be sold but also maybe Turnbull, who clearly doesn’t want to stay as the club had to activate the contractual extension. I am expecting we will then need about 13 players, which will probably include two or three loanees.
I read it they he activated suggesting we didn't want him or knew it was in his hands. Macca did the same after Wembley

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Turnbull will stay. I think we wanted to keep him and he wanted to remain, irrespective of how the contract extension was triggered.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Won't lose too much sleep over whether L. Norris goes or stays as at best his goals per games average is 1 in 4 and clearly injury prone, and probably using up a fair chunk of our wage budget. Surely, if we want to challenging for promotion next season we can do better than that.

Norris has typically played around 40 games a season for many years so it’s harsh to say he’s injury prone just because a broken foot didn’t heal properly first time around. It’s not like he’s had an underlying issue with his foot during his career, so the surgery he had with us should‘ve sorted it. I’d be surprised if the club saw him as an injury gamble, unlike one or two we’ve had in the past!