• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Plymouth v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Let's kick this thread off nice and early as it's one of Rovers' most crucial games for years. We may be favorites to drop but a win here would see us through to the final game.

Lose here and we can probably kiss any feint hope of staying up goodbye.

Can we get that elusive win or are we doomed?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This will be interesting as hopefully we'll see a reaction following mickys departure and Garnett & Rogers may have an effect.

The pilgrims are not in great form and clinging onto a play off place. Their sometimes fiery manager was understandably unhappy with their defeat at Carlisle last weekend.

I expect a valiant effort but feel many of the players will already be thinking of their holidays and futures away from PP and the conference. Hope I'm wrong but Plymouth have a decent front 2 of Reuben Reid and Lewis Alessandra and given our lack of clear sheets, I cannot see us not conceding against a side who must win. Who knows whether any significant team changes may be made. Dare I say Koumas may start.

Sadly I'm predicting a defeat and near certain relegation.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am sure there will be an improvement in attitude on recent games on Saturday, but it is asking a lot for a team as bad as ourselves to go away to one of the best home sides in the division and get a victory. We are really looking for something miraculous if we are to survive. Had the managerial change been made even one week earlier I think we would have had a much better chance of staying up.

There is no team news at this stage and it is impossible to predict a line-up. Whoever starts, I fear that Hartlepool will finally win again on Saturday and we will be down; if we go into the final game of the season with any chance of survival I will be happy.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's asking a lot of a team low on confidence with a pair of rookie stand-in managers in charge to get anything from our visit to Home Park. It's the steepest possible learning curve for Alan and Shaun, so they'll need a lot from the players. The choice of team might be the key. I'd go for those who have a genuine interest in our survival rather than those who are on loan or who are likely to walk at the end of the season. Then I'd look at how everyone is shaping up in training this week. If that results in at least 11 candidates, we are in with a chance.

Player
Liam Palmer
I'll be heading to Edinburgh City to see if my Scottish team can become a League club, just as my English team become non-League. Wouldn't have predicted that in August.

Anyway, we've got to start with Koumas, he's the one player who can create chances. The first goal is going to be absolutely crucial. Given our total lack of confidence, going behind would spell disaster. Taylor is out, I think Hill should come in a left-back - we need experienced heads on Saturday (but not Dugdale - please dear God, no).

I think a point is achievable, but whatever the result on Saturday, I think we are doomed as Hartlepool's remaining fixtures are much easier than ours. A penny for Ronnie's thoughts this week.

Still, keep believing. SWA!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Have a good time in Stotland TT64 and keep your fingers crossed. Well, we have to attack from the off, we have nothing to lose, so we definately need our most creative players out there. Can we also leave JMW on the coach?

Player
Manager
John King
All the noises from Garnett and Rogers suggest we will be setting up to get a point. I am not sure that is the right approach given that we are incapable of keeping a clean sheet and a draw would probably not be good enough for us. I think we should be going for it.

Going off topic, are Edinburgh City anything to do with Meadowbank Thistle ? In my youth they were Edinburgh's third team before morphing into Livingstone (I think).

Player
Liam Palmer
A point will no doubt be worse than useless. We have to go for the win, given Hartlepool's final two games. Could do with a rallying cry from the club, something to put a bit of spine into the team. But we'll see.

Meadowbank Thistle were franchised to Livingston in 1995 (same way Wimbledon were sacrificed). Many Thistle supporters got involved with Edinburgh City - a former Scottish League club then playing in a public park. They moved the club into Meadowbank Stadium in 1996 and won the Lowland League this year. This allows for a play-off into the Scottish League, the first time this has happened in the League's 130-year history. If they win promotion it will be 20 years to the day since Thistle's last-ever game.

Back to Tranmere Rovers....

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks for the info. I take it you were originally a Thistle fan ?

I would ask you what happened to Inverness Clachnacuddin, but I should probably save that for a separate thread.........

Player
Liam Palmer
Yes, I was that fan!

Inverness Clachnacuddin still going strong in the Highland League.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As I remember it, when the Scottish League had one of their occasional vacancies a while back, they invited the three Inverness clubs from the Highland League to unite and join them. Caledonian and Thistle like the idea, but Clachnacuddin refused. Clachies are still in the same league.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A draw really is no good and could see us down at the weekend. We have to win. The only thing in our favor is the goal difference.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
by 5pm on Saturday we will be down following a 2 0 loss and Hartlepool winning

M

Mal

Crikey, bigmart, a pessimist is positively full of the joys of spring compared to your current state of mind. Fat lady sings and all that....

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Crikey, bigmart, a pessimist is positively full of the joys of spring compared to your current state of mind. Fat lady sings and all that....

because ive had the misfortune of watchen us play s##t all season long it aint going to change now

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Sadly, bigmart's predictions are correct more often than not. Let's see shall we?

There is a scenario where two draws keeps us up. Big gamble though to play for the draw, hope the results go our way and then use the home advantage on 2nd May. Personally, if we're to go down I'd rather it was this weekend. I'm away on a Dads and Lads footie weekend over the Bank Holiday and I'll be a nervous wreck / miserable bugger if it comes down to the last day.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In true Rovers style we'll probably win tomorrow and then lose at home. :rolleyes:

Two wins which is what we really need is asking a bit too much in all honesty. Dreading tomorrow..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think we'll lose tomorrow but will still have a mathematical chance afterwards of staying up. This will prolong the agony for another week as I still believe we'll be playing in the conference next year. Hope I eat my words.

To some extent I'd rather be relegated tomorrow than in front of our own fans next week, with a decent crowd in, similar to last season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I notice on the OS that Argyle are odds-on to win, but odds of 10-1 are offered against a 1-0 win for us. I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd be tempted. While MA was at the helm, a defeat was always the most likely result (at least since January), but I'm very interested to see tomorrow's team and how they perform. I'm not expecting or requesting miracles, but if "the whole is the sum of the parts", then two wins are not impossible.