• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Out of Contract; Keep/Release/Unsure?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Pre Walsall Nigel confirms we have 24 players out of contract. Staggering really and lots of discussions to be had.
I don't know where Nigel gets that number from. He must be including youngsters like Luis Lacey and Jack Bentley, who are off my radar, and the loanees. I am a glass half full on this topic. If we activate Turnbull's contract, we will already have 10 first-teamers, most of whom we'd all have in our squad. We do have a lot who are out of contract soon, but that's due to the inflated size of the squad. My view is we are better set up for the following season than at any time for as long as I can remember. I am not pretending that this summer's recruitment will be easy, but it should be a lot more straightforward than in recent years.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I got the impression from the way the January window was handled that Nigel is in a stronger position on deals than recent managers including Micky. Funds were used to prioritise extending Robbie Apter’s loan rather than dribs and drabs. His goals and assists undoubtedly secured our L2 survival much sooner. A combo of the lack of depth in the squad and NA almost throwing in the towel in some games like at Swindon did for our play-off aspirations.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Things have changed and some of us, me definitely, may have outdated views. We used to have first year pros who weren't retained, they disappear even from the best of memories such as Ollie James or even Ray Stubbs! Anyone who got a second contract, played and are remembered if not memorable Danny Holmes, Jon Kenworthy etc but ultimately didn't make it.
We have shipped out players we retained who never played in full first team matches, pizza cups excluded, and they languish well below Chester's level.
On the flipside we have signed players who have done two years as pros at prem clubs, giving them presumably decent contracts for us and what? Hughes showed glimpses, but so did Strats and Lomax, yet our managements this year have discarded him completely. Hockenhull will remain an enigma.
For reasons not completely clear to me Everton have 20 year olds not good enough for us we have them who are very much part-time standard.
A trilogy of multi-year contracts have been given to Wigan (middling club) releases so money was used to lure. Jolley and Merrie are failed projects and McAlear hasn't yet been exposed fully. If Everton and co produce not good enough even for us, Wigan aren't likely to!
We certainly need to dismiss the notion that they come from such high pedigrees they must be good. Norris may yet come good but his presence at LFC is as credible as him being in a world heavyweight bout.
I see Calum MacDonald seems out of favour at Mansfield so he may get a mutual move once they are promoted? As it stands if we were to follow next season, I'd reckon only Hendry would inspire me with confidence at the higher level. I do think we should tie him down now, he's probably the only one who might walk in future.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting that after our early season farcical situation with left backs, both Callum McDonald and Ethan Bristow are out of favour at Mansfield and Stockport. The latter is injured but Touray is now first choice LB with the hatters