• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Other Teams

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
The whole Liverpool 08 thread has opened up the thorny issue of which other teams, if any, you 'follow'. Now I don't want this to turn in to a slanging match or have any of this 'you should hate any team that isn't tranmere' crap. I think the best way to ask the question is, when you're watching the scores or listening to the scores on a Saturday afternoon, what other results are you looking out for.

Personally, I like to see Everton do well, when I was a kid (like 6) I supported Everton, that was until my Dad started to take me to Rovers and I saw the light.

I go to Goodison a couple of times a year. An old mate from the Wirral (originally from Liverpool) who now lives in York is an Everton fan, so we use it as an excuse to meet and catch up. I promise to drag him along to PP one day. Speaking as a 'football' fan, I enjoy the spectacle and atmosphere of premiership football. I don't think this makes me any less of a Rovers fan.

Living as I do in Coventry, I always keep an eye out for the Coventry scores. I have a mate at work who is another exile from merseyside who happens to be a big Liverpool supporter. We both moan about how it can be difficult to make the time to go to Tranmere / Liverpool games so we've decided to go to a Coventry game sometime this season, just because it's local, we both enjoy footy and they have a nice new stadium.

This same guy is actually still a Liverpool season ticket holder (he still goes to about 90% of their home games despite living in RUGBY!). He asked me the other week if I'd ever be interested in his ticket if he couldn't make it. I had to decline as being a Tranmere fan and occasionally going to Goodison and Anfield just didn't feel right. :?

I spent 4 years at uni in Birmingham and I work in Birmingham so always keep an eye out for Villa, Birmingham City and West Brom. Most of the guys at work support one of these teams so it's always good on a Monday morning to know how they got on. The Rovers v Villa league cup semi-final still comes up regularly :wink:

Who else? Well, my boss at work is a Hull fan and we enjoyed a bit of banter last year during the promotion struggle, and he took me to the KC and I took him to PP, so I keep an eye out for them.

My best mate from uni is a Southampton fan, so keep an eye on how they're doing.

Finally, the other halfs sister and her husband support Leeds, so I keep an eye on how they're doing.

I suppose for some of the younger members of these boards, Tranmere is all they know, but I think as you grow up, move around the country and meet new people, you get sucked into having an 'interest' in other teams.

Of course, goes without saying that if/when the Rovers play any of these teams, I'll be screaming my lungs out for the Super Whites :wink:

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
hmm, interesting stuff.

for some reason I've had a soft spot for vauxhall motors.

my cousins support crystal palace. but i dont like them cos they got us relegated in a way :twisted:

M

Matthew The Rover

The only other club I look out for, other than Tranmere of course, are Rochdale because my cousin is in their youth set up and a season ticket holder (but being a striker he's going to struggle to knock Chris Dagnall off the CF spot!)

Player
Morrisey
I too follow Everton and like to see them doing well! Sunderland I look out for purely because I would like them to go down with some dignity. As I live in Hereford I always like to see them doing well and always want them t go up and up, so that one day I will be able to watch Tranmere play in Hereford again. I have a soft spot for Hyde United and I always look out for Liverpool hopeing they lost!

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

The only club I watch is Tranmere. I do every now and again I go to a Vauxhall's match but I havent been this season becuase ive either been working or at a Tranmere match

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Well I listen out for the scores of any teams with Rovers old boys in, so Wigan, Cardiff, Chesterfield, Stoke and Grimsby mainly at the moment.

I like to hear when the Nomads, or Vauxhalls, or any other local sides are doing well, but I can't say I support them - as it's not supporting if you're not interested when they're losing!!

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Saying that I do look out for Wigan, its good to see a local team doing well in the Prem and they have our Taylor or should I say their Taylor who was ours. It was good seeing them get to the final tonight

B

Banana Army

I am a big football in general follower, and tend to have a favourite team from most countries. I do actually support 2 other teams, not as much as Tranmere but i still support them.

AC Milan and Atletico Madrid. Used to love watch Georgey Weah on Football Italia, and fell in Love with the team. Lucky enough to see them last year as well.

Like Atletico due to watching Torres progress. Heard of him as a 15 year old lad who was refused the bus fair home from a Real Madrid Trial after he failed to impress and just thought it would be top notch for him to do the biz for Reals Derby Rivals. Followed the team ever since.

Other teams i follow are:

Hyde - My Dad is a 10% share holder
Rio Plate - Love watching Argentinian football and you have to support a team. Progressed from there
Hereford - I live there
Sao Paulo - Like with Argentinian Footie, took advantage of 5's late night football coverage watched Braazilian footie and chose to follow Sao Paulo. Got some quality players as well.
Monaco - Used to be a bog Bierhoff fan from his Milan Days and followed him to Monaco and have followed them ever since.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Banana Army said:
I am a big football in general follower, and tend to have a favourite team from most countries. I do actually support 2 other teams, not as much as Tranmere but i still support them.

AC Milan and Atletico Madrid. Used to love watch Georgey Weah on Football Italia, and fell in Love with the team. Lucky enough to see them last year as well.

Like Atletico due to watching Torres progress. Heard of him as a 15 year old lad who was refused the bus fair home from a Real Madrid Trial after he failed to impress and just thought it would be top notch for him to do the biz for Reals Derby Rivals. Followed the team ever since.

Other teams i follow are:

Hyde - My Dad is a 10% share holder
Rio Plate - Love watching Argentinian football and you have to support a team. Progressed from there
Hereford - I live there
Sao Paulo - Like with Argentinian Footie, took advantage of 5's late night football coverage watched Braazilian footie and chose to follow Sao Paulo. Got some quality players as well.
Monaco - Used to be a bog Bierhoff fan from his Milan Days and followed him to Monaco and have followed them ever since.

very good. Do any of you do what I used to like doing when I was younger look out for a certain teams results from each of the top English leagues from the prem to confrence but I dont do that anymore. I like watching Spanish football, I like Real Madrid.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
I live in an interesting household. My brother is a Scunthorpe fan so now that we're both in the same division it's nice to be able to share in the drama that it League 1. I've been to Glanford Park a couple of times with him, and he went to PP with my big sis this year for their away game to us. Sadly I was on a beach in Croatia so had to miss the game.

My sister is a lifelong Spurs fan and I'm happier for her this season as they're playing classier football and getting decent results, maybe even a Champions League spot too. My Dad's a Man U fan so we all take pleasure in slagging him regularly.

Other than that I like watching Wigan's progress in the Premiership. And was so chuffed for them last night beating Arsenal. And since the milk ads in the 80's I've always had an affection for Accrington Stanley and hopefully we'll see them in the Coca Cola League next season. :D :D

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Normally on a Saturday evening I just go through all the results from games... I don't really especially look out for anyone really. Although I suppose I look out to see if any ex Tranmere players scored in their match.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
When I lived in Spain I followed a team called Hercules - now in the Second Division. I could see the stadium from my flat!

In Italy, I followed, and still do, AS Roma.

But other than that, just Tranmere and England.

B

Banana Army

SCooperSomersaults said:
In Italy, I followed, and still do, AS Roma.

Going through a bit of a torrid time at the mo arent they. Just starting to turn it around and hopefully for you the 16 million net loss on Cassano was the pits and now things will get better. Gotta sort the debt out first though.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
You're dead right BA. Cassano was a class player but so temperamental. Real Madrid have a bargain. Debts at Roma are bigger than most clubs, and they have a transfer embargo still after a "dodgy" deal for Mexes last summer, so can't sign any new players. With Totti and Montella injured, they have no recognised strikers! But won 4-1 at the weekend without them! Bring on Juve then! :lol:

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
My family always go to tenerife alot so for a team abroad I like CD Tenerife of Spanish Segunda, i think :?

M

mikeo32

My brother and all his pals support everton so i always watch the matches with them, I have a soft spot for chester, always good to see them doing well!

Claire

If I'm honest I'll admit I'm a blue, use to be a season ticker holder in the late 70's and the 80's. (and my deep dark secret is me and my friend ran the Andy Gray Fan Club!!!!!!! :oops: ) Had to stop when I had the kids,but also listen for their score at 1/2 time and at the end of matches. Also follow the fortunes of Bangor City since a certain Mr Hay plays for them now and Cammel Lairds cos I use to live near Jamie McGuire. My hubby's a red so you can imagine what 'derby day' is like in our house.

Now a days Tranmere come first, with us all being season ticket holders and their result is the first we look for when they're away - can't go to away matches cos it's too expensive for 4 of us.

Like a lot of you also look out to see how past players are doing- gutted about Ryan. Will be interesting to see how Humey gets on now their manager has gone.

Claire[/i]

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Good girl Claire! How is Mr Hay doing? He cost me a few quid (eh Ian :wink: ) but always liked him and is a Rovers fan himself. Followed his progress (or lack of) at Rushden but it's a little more difficult at Bangor City!

Player
Morrisey
Will be interesting to see how Humey gets on now their manager has gone.

Does anyone think that we will be playing against Humey next year? I do and unfortunately in League one!