• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Oldham 0-2 Tranmere

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yess!!!!!!!! =D>Get in. What a performance and what a great result. The SWA were magnificant and never stopped singing. I only hoped the lads wouldn't let us down, and they didn't.

Apart from Lee Hughes missing an open goal, they were restricted to a handful of tame efforts on target. We deserved the win. You could see the lads really wanted this win and it was good to see. Eveyone fired up. There's still a lot fo work to do but if they go into all their remaining games like this, we'll have a chance.

SWA!!! \\:D/

Player
Liam Palmer
Great win and by the sounds of it a good performance. Gutted I missed it, but celebrated with my three-day old Prenton Pup.

Interested to know if those lovely Oldham fans sang their "Ronnie Moore football genius" song? Thought not. Ha!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Pity it didn't put us in the top 6 but just shows we need to keep producing if we're to get anywhere. Great display of passion, determination, and no little skill either from the boys who were magnificent to a man. Can't fault them and we saw a performance that equalled the effort last week against Leicester.

Coyne - did what he had to do, which in truth, wasn't that much.
Shotton - got forward well, bit dodgy defensively but made one tremendous challenge to get back to tackle their 21 Jones after selling himself to easily earlier.
Cresswell - steady, not spectacular but worked hard and made a great challenge late on to set up another Rovers attack.
Goodison - watched him in the warm up limping and not looking right, but somehow in games he just performs through it all. Outstanding again, cleared everything and bar his slip in the first half which allowed Hughes the shot which hit the bar, didn't put a foot wrong.
Chorley - getting better and better in defence imo. Headed everything and defended like a lion. White Review's man and he did really well today.
Sonko - I want to say he was brilliant, when he's good he's good, but most of the time he's rubbish. Today he did ok but missed two great chances and didn't help Shotton defensively much in the first half. Bit of a cult hero with the fans, god only knows why - first Gambian to play for Tranmere I suppose!
Barnett - this lad is pure quality. Please get him signed up long term Ronnie and Lorraine. Great goal, but he runs his socks off and his ability on the ball is second to none. Possibly pushing his way into my player of the season.
Kay - normally all action, but today he was a bit anonomous. Defended well when needed and used the ball well but wasn't involved as much as he has been of late.
Jennings - superb. The lad has a great engine as they say (dunno why they say though actually!???). Ran and ran and ran, great run for the penalty, and won everything in midfield. Was well up for it today and it showed in his performance, excellent.
Moore - won lots of aerial challenges and worked extremely hard for the team. Took the penalty calmly and again another whose effort and determination quality was superb.
Savage - arguably his best game for Rovers. Superb, held the ball up, won aerial battle against Stam, got him booked which then led to his red card later. Ran his scoks off, helped the team in all areas and deserved a goal to cap a great display.

MOTM : Toss up between Chorley, Barnett, Jennings and Savage. They were all brilliant in my eyes and a well deserved 3 points on the road! Makes a change, and no rain or driving gale force winds in Oldham either! Great day.\\:D/

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like a really good Rovers showing, sorry I didn't go now. However the teams in touching distance all won, so no nearer to a play-off spot, which is a shame.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Yeah, erm, I spent most of the game dodging various missiles thrown in my general direction from Oldham fans...but what a great game! Though I don't rate Savage's performance as highly as you Coop...Jenno and Chorley were fantastic though. Cresswell is clearly finding his feet at this higher level but has shown glimpses of his ability to cross a ball - he's certainly performend no worse than Taylor has managed this year tbh. Barnett and Moore were also great, as you said. I was worried that, after wasting a few chances first half, we might get pinned back in the second - how wrong i was, we attacked from the off and didn't stop going even after getting a second. Superb.

Only downside was behaviour of both fans, I've been reading a few stories on forums of our fans getting jumped after the game whilst on their way to the train station etc. During the game, our own fans were barely any better, I was there with my 8 year old brother who, whilst being (quite worryingly) unfazed by the whole thing, witnessed some quite nasty stuff today. Pretty sad...

But anyway, here's to a win at Brighton! Somehow I don't fancy us though...:roll:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Boz: It's really annoying because when we win, the teams around us win as well. When we lose, so do the other teams.

SonkORLY?: It's sad to say, but I don't think two sets of supporters should be mixed in the one stand. There will always be problems. And it's usually the innocent that come of worse. I was at the other end of the stand so was completely unaware of any problems.

Speaking of the supporters, there was a huge flag passed around which looked great yesterday. Coming from http://ww.thecowsheds.co.uk. Take a look on there, there's a superb picture of the away fans and the flag and the forum is filled with TRFC chat and other banter.

Back to the game.
I would agree with Scoops about Bas. I thought he had a really good game. The problem with Bas is that all is hard work goes unnoticed a lot of the time because what he does, isn't all that obvious. I thought he created a lot of problems for Oldham yesterday and inevitably this led to the sending off of Stefan Stam. Ultimately he needs to score more goals.

I can't pick a MOTM. Barnett had one of the best games for us and topped it off with a great goal. Jennings and Chorley were also superb.

Ronnie Moore:
"It has been long overdue, my record against Oldham hasn't been good. I did enjoy it to be fair.
"I knew the lads knew how important the game was and it's put us in with a shout. Someone has to go to Wembley, and why not us?

Joe Royle:
"If you look at the 90 minutes our keeper hasn't had a save to make but has picked two out of the back of the net.

"I wouldn't argue that they looked the tighter unit and are a better team at the moment, but we've got time to improve on that.