• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Northampton 1 - 3 Tranmere

P

Prenton

Great result today, sets up a beast of a game on Saturday, which will be my first game of the season. Sounds like we played some good football today, it would be interesting to hear from people who went.

I've just read on the official site that Ellison's injury was due to being poked in the eye by Zola. This made me chuckle. Did anyone one see it?

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Fantastic result today and badly needed as a boost from our defeat to Rotherham the other night.

Sounded like we controlled the game entirely from the commentary, even though BBC or World stuffed up the commentary on and off during the match and we kept getting switched to the Everton V Wigan game.

I've just read Ronnie's comments on the official site and I like what he said about performing and staying in the team. He mentioned that Chris & Shane will be fit for next week but they may not be in the team. He was obviously impressed with Zola & Jennings today. Maybe he liked the combination of Zola & Taylor up front.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
The Missus wouldn't let me go today (it's only an hour or so down the road from me), we had to go and buy the nipper some new shoes :lol: Gutted that I missed what sounded like a great performance and an emphatic win.

With Forest only managing a draw it sets up next week superbly. If we can get to the top of the league it would be such a boost for everyone at the club and us supporters after last seasons massive disappointment.

Would love to hear comments from those at the game, specifically regarding how Tremarco, Jennings and Davies fitted into the team. Those young lads could be crucial once the injuries start. Speaking of which, two early substitutions today, what was that all about?

SUPER WHITE ARMY =D>

P

Prenton

Would love to hear comments from those at the game, specifically regarding how Tremarco, Jennings and Davies fitted into the team. Those young lads could be crucial once the injuries start. Speaking of which, two early substitutions today, what was that all about?

SUPER WHITE ARMY =D>

Yeh I agree, i can really see the youngsters playing a vital role for us this season.

I think the two early subs were both injury related. Mclaren had a niggle with his heel and Ellison got poked in the eye by Zola whilst celebrating :lol:

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Tune into Soccer AM next Saturday morning for the footage of Ellison getting poked in the eye! They have to show that!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
More than 500 away supporters at the match is also very encouraging stuff. Bring on the next, and chance to go top once more!

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I went today and out of the three times i've seen them this season this has been the most impressive performances especially considering the youngsters coming in. It was a typical away performance really... we soaked up all their pressure and possession and then broke away and when we got a chance we took it.

Zola opened the scoring with a great finish from just inside the box... Ellison had went off injured and didn't actually see the injury but sounds funny Zola poking him in the eye. Shouldn't be too serious then hopefully. Although having said that Davies was very impressive on left wing. Mclaren went off and I think this was more precautionary... although I had gone the bogs when that happened. Taylor made it two with a header from Shukers cross. It actually didn't look like it had gone in for ages from where i was sitting but when the players started celebrating we all went mad.

2nd Half Andy Kirk somehow missed from 3 yards for them... we then went up the other end and their player handled under pressure from Taylor for a penalty. Mullin grabbed the ball but Shuker tried to snatch it. Mullin was having none of it though and scored confidently. They scored although the linesman wrongly flagged for Zola to be offside when he wasn't and they went up the other end and scored. That linesman didn't really get much right. We had some more attacks which maybe we should have made more of... especiallly Shuker. Zola seemed to hobble round for a good 10 mins in 2nd half too but think he must have run it off in the end. The ref didn't really give us that much although at least he wasn't card happy. A lot of fist pumping at the end from players and Ronnie. It obviously meant a lot to bounce back... and they did well without Greenacre, Sherriff, Ellison, Mclaren and McAteer.

Player Round-up:

Ward- Very assured performance. Made some comfortable saves and a good one at 3-1. Not at fault for the goal.

Stockdale- Calm and solid.

McCready- Good performance... overshadowed by Goodison. Maybe was at fault for their goal... can anyone confirm this?

Goodison- Outstanding again. Made a excellent clearance off the line and another block which knocked him off his feet at 3-1. If they had scored then it may have been a different story. MOTM.

Tremarco- Played well and did all things needed of him well.

Shuker- Caused them problems although could maybe have done better when in good positions to run at their defence.

Mclaren- Not on long enough really.

Mullin- Ran the show in midfield... very confident performance and kept the ball well. Great penalty and a close 2nd to Goodison for MOTM.

Ellison- Again not on long enough.

Taylor- Took his goal well and held the ball up and spread it to the wingers well. Helped win penalty too. Good performance.

Zola- Great finish for the goal. Won and chased balls.

Subs:
Davies- Did well on left wing... was confident in him because I remember him playing there at home to Yeovil last season and he did well. Came close with a shot wide. One dodgy pass that gave them a chance though.

Jennings- Was a bit worried when he came on but to be fair he did well and after a few array passes early on he settled in well. Got himself in some good positions where maybe with a bit more confidence he will shoot. Worked well with Mullin in centre.

Two other good things about the day:

1) I gave the person in ticket cabin £16 to get in and walked off with my ticket only to be called back to be given £5 change!? So managed to get in cheap! :-D

2) We had a free kick in 2nd half and I shouted... "Get your head on this one Taylor" He looked over to me laughed and gave me the thumbs up. I like the way the players are prepared to communicate with the fans. The gave us a good clap at the end too.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's looking good.

Joe is spot on with his assessments. At last I managed my first match of the season and was very pleased with what I saw. The spirit was obvious and the substitutions seemed to make no difference, which says a lot for the organisation of the team.

Apart from the spirit, the main difference between the teams was the finishing. We were clinical, they were dire - especially Kirk, who should have had a hat-trick. Against better strikers, we could get punished. But on the day, Northampton were a class below us which means that if yesterday's performance was typical, we'll be in different divisions next season.

One more comment I've got to make is about John Achterberg. He spent about half an hour just before the match warming Gavin Ward up, working really hard and with a smile on his face throughout. What a good professional and great club servant he still is.

J

Johnny King is God

I agree with Joe, especially about the communication with the players.

I loved McCredy's pumped fist and 'come on' to the away fans after a superb saving tackle in the six yard box. Seconds earlier he had a rollocking from a purple faced Ward after Stockdales mistake... I think Ward shouted at the wrong guy - but McCready's response was excellent and he and goodison have formed agreat pairing at the back.

Shukers petulance at the penalty was a little worrying. He even was shouting at Mullin as he was preparing for the kick.

Also agree with Achterberg's attitude. Superb.

All in all good performance, great result.

Bring on the forest!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Watched the League Review on Sky last night. The Ellison incident was hilarious!

Also does anyone know who owns the big Irish Flag our away fans had across the front of the terrace??

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Watched the League Review on Sky last night. The Ellison incident was hilarious!

I certainly felt that! Looked quite nasty indeed. Hope he's OK.
You should never mess with big Calvin!