• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Newport v Rovers

Match result

• Newport

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newport v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Rodney Parade
Saturday, August 20, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 20, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
ADD makes some valid points. It does make you think whether Palios was very impressed with Vaughan and gave him this recruitment job and to direct a change of policy.

Micky always like his seasoned pros who ran the dressing room for him: McNulty, Scottie, Clarke etc. he’s had success with that sort of thing and I’m sure won’t like this new direction we’ve gone in.
I don't think there is any evidence that Mellon does not like 'expansive' football, as is being suggested by some. Think of the two Conference seasons with Cook and Norwood up front, where we scored countless goals. If he has the right players, he will play attacking football.

I think the issue this season is not so much the style of play, but the lack of real experience in the squad which inevitably results in the kind of inconsistencies we saw today and in previous games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few things from the above;

Hemmings is a decent striker, if we'd had him for the whole of last season, I reckon Rovers would have at least made the play-offs. However today it sounded like he had 3 reasonable chances to score today and didn't take any of them. He had an off day, another time he'd be taking home the match ball. There is a perception that Nevitt gets slated far more for his failings in front of goal than Hemmings, given their relative experience. While agreeing there is an element of truth in this, the best approach is for supporters to be less critical of Eliott rather than more critical of Kane.

While I'm unsure that would go so far as calling it a vendetta, Micky has a downer on Merrie, which I don't understand, the manager has praised his work ethic which has often been the cause of others being left on the sidelines. Last season, Merrie barely got a look in for the midfield role, when Watson was sold on, Micky prioritised bringing in another midfielder Warrington, over an additional central defender, where we needed the option. Even when Lewis was jaded, Micky preferred to keep starting with him. Think the only time Merrie was given a league game in central midfield was Colchester, where he looked perfectly capable in the role. There seemed to be far worse performers who lasted the full ninety here.

Thanks to Ian for putting up the highlights.
No blame can reasonably be attributed to Merrie for the first goal, the ball finds its way out to our right, Byrne is completely skinned by their winger (could JDC have helped Byrne out more?) Jamieson completely fluffs the clearance and Bristow fails to close down the Newport lad who puts it in the back of the net.
The second goal starts with Bogel going past Merrie, there seemed to be a slight push on Chris at that point, wonder what VAR would have made of it. The forward then has a free-run on Jamieson with Bristow on the periphery and a mistimed challenge from Kyle leads to the penalty. Even if you feel that Merrie was at fault for not being strong enough with the second goal, Byrne and Bristow for the first goal and Jamieson for both goals were at least as culpable yet didn't get subbed.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Some time ago - with players he/ Vaughan didn't recruit. His recent record is demotion/ relegation (call it as you will) then a very average season in Scotland having left us for pastures new where neither the club nor the fans warmed to him, failure last season when despite the best home record in the division our away form meant we didn't even make the playoffs and now already 6 points off playoffs.
Look it is what it is - I don't believe for one second that MM has bought into the supposed new attack minded goals goals strategy and I don't think he ever will. I also don't think that he has had anywhere near as much input into the recruitment as he as our Manager should have had so yes I do believe that he is working with hands tied behind his back.
As such I think we need to either switch back to his preferred methodogy or we will continue to struggle and arguably he needs to go. He cut to my mind a dispirited figure today but the fact he admitted he didn't know how to switch things around was telling.
As to the game itself his treatment of Merrie smacks as a vendetta - you could almost imagine him wanting to drop him for today now O'Connor was fit again but felt he couldn't justify it - Merrie was I felt good first half and was trying to find players with balls on the deck (with very often no one showing) but no he got pulled as soon as MM felt able to.
Finally I agree with others re Hemmings - he is class at this level but is being asked to do the donkey work and all the time playing too deep he is bound to be affecting/ frustrating him so no surprise he missed presentable chances today.
It wasn't that long ago he got back to back promotions.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I’ve lauded Mellon in the past and have and never will be an advocate of him losing his job ot getting unreasonably slated. However, he himself has previously stated that you can’t live on past achievements and it’s about living in the present. It appears he’s not content with things himself and no doubt would have a good rant on here if he had the “fortune” to have access. It’s meant to hurt when we lose.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mumbongo out for 4 weeks, another poor signing and waste of budget

ADD

Player
Norwood
Similar to your attitude towards Mellon, despite his immense contribution to this club and others ?

For what it's worth, I don't believe there is any 'vendetta'. Mellon simply does not rate Merrie's all round game in midfield, and probably sees his defensive contribution as a weakness. You can disagree with his opinion, but it is still a rational one on his part. As I have said, I would have left Merrie on and taken McAlear off at half time today.

Missing out on the play offs by two points last season was not a 'failure', nor was keeping Dundee United in the SPL in their first season at that level for five years. The squad in the first half of the 19-20 season was completely inadequate for League One, but we had a very good chance of staying up after the January reinforcements. However, you seem to have swallowed the Rick Parry line wholesale.
Your correct RLC "vendetta" was a poor choice of word - I was so frustrated at Merrie being hooked when I felt he was doing an excellent job and was genuinely looking to play proper football on the deck and into space. More so when we were so much worse in the second half after he was subbed. Personally I don't think MM's opinion is rational but one thing we can agree on is it's not going to change! Merrie I am sure bitterly regrets leaving Wigan and should IMO look to move on by submitting a transfer request as his career is really stagnating .
As to MM himself my attitude to him simply reflects I felt he should not have been brought back after he left us for Dundee and he is now not the right fit for us. It's my opinion right or wrong but as I said in my original post what he is being asked to do right now is absolutely not fair to him either as I simply don't believe he has been given the type of players he would himself have wanted or chosen.

Reactions: Boz

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
yea what's the point of getting players in with a track record of record with Injuries that's what makes it more frustrating

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
and if we lose either of the two lads up top we are even more screwed than we are now, with regards to MM some times you need to freshen things up that's the way I see it yes he has done well the first time he took over and for a fair share of Last Season but some times you need to move on

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mumbongo out for 4 weeks, another poor signing and waste of budget
Like so many last season beginning with M : Maynard, Mani, Mcmanaman, Mark (Duffy).

As I’ve said earlier we spent so much money on all those central midfielders and defenders that there probably isn’t much left in the pot for a half decent for striker. Mumbongo wasn’t fit in pre season and still big question marks if we bring glatzel in.

Player
Manager
John King
A few things from the above;

Hemmings is a decent striker, if we'd had him for the whole of last season, I reckon Rovers would have at least made the play-offs. However today it sounded like he had 3 reasonable chances to score today and didn't take any of them. He had an off day, another time he'd be taking home the match ball. There is a perception that Nevitt gets slated far more for his failings in front of goal than Hemmings, given their relative experience. While agreeing there is an element of truth in this, the best approach is for supporters to be less critical of Eliott rather than more critical of Kane.

While I'm unsure that would go so far as calling it a vendetta, Micky has a downer on Merrie, which I don't understand, the manager has praised his work ethic which has often been the cause of others being left on the sidelines. Last season, Merrie barely got a look in for the midfield role, when Watson was sold on, Micky prioritised bringing in another midfielder Warrington, over an additional central defender, where we needed the option. Even when Lewis was jaded, Micky preferred to keep starting with him. Think the only time Merrie was given a league game in central midfield was Colchester, where he looked perfectly capable in the role. There seemed to be far worse performers who lasted the full ninety here.

Thanks to Ian for putting up the highlights.
No blame can reasonably be attributed to Merrie for the first goal, the ball finds its way out to our right, Byrne is completely skinned by their winger (could JDC have helped Byrne out more?) Jamieson completely fluffs the clearance and Bristow fails to close down the Newport lad who puts it in the back of the net.
The second goal starts with Bogel going past Merrie, there seemed to be a slight push on Chris at that point, wonder what VAR would have made of it. The forward then has a free-run on Jamieson with Bristow on the periphery and a mistimed challenge from Kyle leads to the penalty. Even if you feel that Merrie was at fault for not being strong enough with the second goal, Byrne and Bristow for the first goal and Jamieson for both goals were at least as culpable yet didn't get subbed.
There were a few occasions in the period just before half time where Merrie gave the ball away in dangerous areas, resulting in Newport getting in on the back five too easily, one of which resulted in Newport scoring. So you can understand what Mellon meant when he said we did not have sufficient control in midfield in that period and why he made changes in that area.

I think Mellon was frustrated at the lack of game awareness of the midfield in the minutes just before half time. Why keep taking risks with your passes immediately after scoring a goal, or straight after conceding at 1-1 ? We needed to just quieten things in that period and get to half time still in the game, and I think the lack of experience in the squad was exposed.

As I have said, in the creative areas Merrie did ok yesterday, but Mellon has always valued what players do without the ball and in the defensive aspect as much as their ability with the ball (think of the period when he dropped Cook).

Mellon clearly does not believe Merrie delivers what he wants in the centre of midfield.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It’s all opinions but I wasn’t surprised he took merrie off on the basis of the first half. Lewis had been quiet but did set up the goal and does bring a threat going forward so I would have kept him on personally.

Anyway we move on.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There were a few occasions in the period just before half time where Merrie gave the ball away in dangerous areas, resulting in Newport getting in on the back four too easily, one of which resulted in Newport scoring. So you can understand what Mellon meant when he said we did not have sufficient control in midfield in that period and why he made changes in that area.

I think Mellon was frustrated at the lack of game awareness of the midfield in the minutes just before half time. Why keep taking risks with your passes immediately after scoring a goal, or straight after conceding at 1-1 ? We needed to just quieten things in that period and get to half time still in the game, and I think the lack of experience in the squad was exposed.

As I have said, in the creative areas Merrie did ok yesterday, but Mellon has always valued what players do without the ball and in the defensive aspect as much as their ability with the ball (think of the period when he dropped Cook).

Mellon clearly does not believe Merrie delivers what he wants in the centre of midfield.
You were at the game, so accept have seen more than is evident from the highlights. However the primary role for defenders is to keep a clean sheet and there were 5 of them counting the wing-backs. 2 had clear failings in the build-up to the goals and a 3rd could have done better, yet despite these defensive errors Micky was prepared to leave them on. It didn’t sound from the commentary as though the midfield improved greatly defensively in the second half as a result of the substitutions, while attack-wise Rovers never sounded like getting back into it.

Player
Manager
John King
You were at the game, so accept have seen more than is evident from the highlights. However the primary role for defenders is to keep a clean sheet and there were 5 of them counting the wing-backs. 2 had clear failings in the build-up to the goals and a 3rd could have done better, yet despite these defensive errors Micky was prepared to leave them on. It didn’t sound from the commentary as though the midfield improved greatly defensively in the second half as a result of the substitutions, while attack-wise Rovers never sounded like getting back into it.
The defence was poor in that period, but there were not really any options on the bench to change things. In any case, managers are always reluctant to mess round with the defence during the game. By contrast, both O'Connor and Nolan were available.

My perception was that the midfield was more solid in the second half, but did not create much.

Player
Aldo
Was Merrie a Mellon signing ? Too many Tranmere signings don't get game time, maybe the club could afford it in the National League but I don't think they can now. Merrie got 26 apps in League one so he must have been doing something right, its pretty awful when you play for a team and the manager doesn't rate you. Being in on the subs bench can't be good for Merrie at 23 , he needs to be at a club where he is valued. There is plenty of experience at the top of the club , I am not sure why this is happening.

Player
Manager
John King
Was Merrie a Mellon signing ?
Probably not. He is one of Beck's clients I believe.

He played in League One for Wigan when they were in administration and were forced to play the kids. They did not make much effort to keep him when his contract expired.

I think he is a reasonable player, but I am not sure why discussion of our current inconsistencies all ends up focussed on one player. It is classic displacement. Our current issues are wider and deeper than Chris Merrie.

Player
Aldo
Probably not. He is one of Beck's clients I believe.

He played in League One for Wigan when they were in administration and were forced to play the kids. They did not make much effort to keep him when his contract expired.

I think he is a reasonable player, but I am not sure why discussion of our current inconsistencies all ends up focussed on one player. It is classic displacement. Our current issues are wider and deeper than Chris Merrie.
I don't think that Merrie was pivotal to the result. The problem is, its not just Merrie at the club that is seen as any more than a squad player.