• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

New Contracts/Players Let go

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
And Mclaren was great on the pitch right? Cause everyone on the bench deserves to be there, and likewise with those on the pitch?

Joining late...

Puffed out as I am from dancing in the streets of Sunny Bootle By The Sea I do admit to being pleased that Shuker has been let go, his salary must have been a millstone to the club. But we have seemingly replaced that millstone with another - Mahon. Yes I agree that the Barnes legacy will still take its toll, unless of course Mahon stays off the ale and decides to earn his money.

Have no problems with the others let go with perhaps the exception of Edds who is useful in a number of positions.

I think it reasonable to assume Les will be in charge next season, that is if it was his decision on who to let go. Not sure we can afford Labadie and I'm sure Zoum will be taken away with a substantially better offer than we can make. Taylor too could attract attention.

Really interesting to see who Les can get to sign.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Edds by all accounts contributed nothing and is very easily replaceable.

I'm wary of replying to this because it could be perceived that I'm picking on you Orly, which isn't the case.. it's not you personally i disagree with, just certain things you come out with!

Edds was a key player in the Les Parry revival. He personifies the work-ethic that Les was attempting to instill in a very sorry side. Without the contribution of Edds in various positions on the pitch, and crucially the mindset off it, I don't think we would have survived. Near zero turned real hero.

While I think he can be replaced, i don't think easily.

I'm wary of replying to this because it could be perceived that I'm picking on you Orly, which isn't the case.. it's not you personally i disagree with, just certain things you come out with!

Haha - very diplomatic NBDH

Lets go over to our live webcam whilst Orly carefully constructs his reply

wow-jenkins.jpg

Player
Goodison
LOL @ Charlie Barnett being the 18th best player in our squad. Edds by all accounts contributed nothing and is very easily replaceable.

If you're going to be picky he's (was) the 19th best player in our squad. Edds has been a solid performer this season so the basis for your negative attitude toward him is bizarre, perhaps he didn't sign your autograph book or something:-k

Player
Goodison
And Mclaren was great on the pitch right? Cause everyone on the bench deserves to be there, and likewise with those on the pitch?

Can you rewrite that please? It kind of doesn't make sense... no offence or anything like... :cold:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Shuker has been **** for years. He was good when he first joined, he showed enthusiasm for a while, then we began to see how lazy and ineffective he was. No wonder Barnsley got rid of him. Managers tend to like players that last for more than 45 minutes. Like I say good riddance!

I would really love to see the back of McLaren too, but you can't always get what you want.

And the highly rated Charlie Barnett! Highly rated by some, over-rated by others. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. And on the subject of ex-players, I enjoyed reading the article on the official site about old players and where they are now.

My favourite possibly being Stephen Frail. What a great player! And that's genuine..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Shuker has been **** for years. He was good when he first joined, he showed enthusiasm for a while, then we began to see how lazy and ineffective he was. No wonder Barnsley got rid of him. Managers tend to like players that last for more than 45 minutes. Like I say good riddance!

Ian - thats well harsh IMO. In his first season Shukes was quality. Thats why if memory serves me right, we gave him a new improved 2 year deal even though he had a year left. Then he got that serious injury against Carlisle and hasnt been the same since, but i dont agree he was lazy/ineffective. He just doesnt fit into the 4-3-3 system. He was a typical winger at the times that sometimes arent in the game. Wouldnt surprise me if another league 1 team snap him up and he does well if he can get a run of games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
and isn't a winger supposed to attack the opposition and take on players? i've seen more of that in broomes than i have in shuker.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Youve seen people attacking the opposition with Broomes!!!!! You need to report things like that to the appropriate authorities!!!:wink:

Shukes hasnt been the same since that injury and really never looked like he was willing to get stuck in. Our team next year I would imagine will resemble Millwall a bit with all players working hard pressing the ball and breaking quickly.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Edds was a key player in the Les Parry revival. He personifies the work-ethic that Les was attempting to instill in a very sorry side. Without the contribution of Edds in various positions on the pitch, and crucially the mindset off it, I don't think we would have survived. Near zero turned real hero.

He wasn't a key player. Firstly he played second fiddle to Mclaren, Welsh and Taylor while Broomes/Mcready were preferred at center-half, then we moved Taylor back into defence to accomodate Labadie's inclusion in the midfield trio. Edds only played when other people were injured/suspended and did an average job, he was always Les's 'last choice' in midfield. He's slow and contributes very little, his perfomance vs Leeds was utterly gutless and embarassing - don't think he touched the ball once and he hid away from the occasion.

Can you rewrite that please? It kind of doesn't make sense... no offence or anything like... :cold:

Ian claimed that Barnett/Shuker being left on the bench validated his viewpoint that they were rubbish. I disagreed with this principle, citing the fact that Mclaren starting ahead of them (and Mahon) doesn't neccesserily make him a better footballer.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wouldn't say Edds was as key as NBDH suggests but he did contribute. 30 starts, 12 sub apps and 4 goals.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Releasing Edds and Bas Savage gives the immediate impression we can go searching for better!
I am going to be negative and say they won,t be replaced with better at all ?.
And given time once again you will see mr Johnson is just wielding the axe to come in line with income expectations with no regard for the fans hopes or pushing tranmere rovers forward in any way !
Just so long as we have a miracle worker in les (or RM )the show will just about grind on and on .
I won,t bother being there to witness it .

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
My favourite possibly being Stephen Frail. What a great player! And that's genuine..

Ha ha, I wasn't sure if you were taken the Mick with this comment Ian, but yes, I thought Frail was a cracking player in his time. Unfortunately he was a contender with Andy Thorn for most injury-prone player ever to wear a Rovers shirt. He was just permanently crocked.

Looking at the list of ex-players, the standout for me was Adnan Ahmed establishing himself at Ferencvaros. How did that happen ?

drwhoman

AHMED

Not sure why he has had more success in Turkey. Maybe a different environment and a league which is less physical than Division One and perhaps of a lesser standard than the EPL. For example, when fit Harry Kewell has been a stand out there whereas he was always a mixed bag in England.

drwhoman

AHMED

Sorry I should have said Hungary not Turkey. Not quite the mighty Magyars these days!

DIW

Player
Goodison
Offered new deals:

Curran - surprising to me. Nowhere near good enough at League 1 level.
Welsh - fair enough, gets stuck in (still not sure how on earth he once got a start for Liverpool though)
Zoom - we defo want to keep him
Fraughan - not seen him enough to have an opinion
Broomes - just about agree with due to the end of season improvement.

Not offered deals:

Bas - bit surprised by this, as he played consistently towards the end of the season. However he never looked like getting a goal, and i suspect Parry (being a physio) knows a thing or two about his fitness and the extent of the injury.
Shukes - good decision, been useless this year.
Edds - Hmmm... I'd have kept him on. versatile and can do a job if needed. Not a starter though.
Barnett - Parry clearly does not fancy him and I donpt think he is that good so he can go. Would love to know more about these attitude problems though.
Macualey/Bain - useless at this level. Bye bye.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ha ha, I wasn't sure if you were taken the Mick with this comment Ian, but yes, I thought Frail was a cracking player in his time. Unfortunately he was a contender with Andy Thorn for most injury-prone player ever to wear a Rovers shirt. He was just permanently crocked.

Looking at the list of ex-players, the standout for me was Adnan Ahmed establishing himself at Ferencvaros. How did that happen ?

Ahh yes, the plan was to completely dismiss the fact that he was injured more times than fit, but when he did play those odd few games for us he looked great! :-D

Adnan Ahmed. What a completely useless buy. Also noticed his current manager at Ferencvaros, Craig Short. Sometime you wonder how this comes about?!

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Ahh yes, the plan was to completely dismiss the fact that he was injured more times than fit, but when he did play those odd few games for us he looked great! :-D

Adnan Ahmed. What a completely useless buy. Also noticed his current manager at Ferencvaros, Craig Short. Sometime you wonder how this comes about?!

Steven frail was a great guy ,i met him at his home and also other places as well ,but hold on a minute!
He was bought by JA for £75,000 which was cheap but he had hardly played the previous season because of permanent knee problems !
In his first start for us he came off after half and hour his knee being the problem !
He staggered on to make 14 more appearances and yet he is mentioned in such high regard ,he was only a defender !

Adnan Ahmed was disregarded by RM which i never understood in his second seasiom he looked right up for it yet Rm ignored him and i can,t help feeling the reasons where unjustified !
For me a missed opportunity
Very sad.