• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

More games postponed...

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I was watching SSN this evening and inbetween talking about Arshavin's move to Arsenal pretty much non-stop (thanks, Brian Swanson, for finally unveiling a genuine transfer scoop) there was a rather dull interview with Leeds/Chelsea reject Michael Duberry (now at Reading) who was talking about how he was enjoying the club training pitch being frozen over, as it meant they could train indoors on the artificial surface provided. "Indeed" noted Duberry, "The artificial pitch we have here is better than a lot of the grass pitches we play on on Saturday's."

Why then, considering the ridiculous amount of games that have been postponed over the Christmas period (we went 3 weeks without a game ourselves through January), don't we just rip up our pathetic grass pitch and replace it with a high-tech artificial surface? For those of you who haven't played on the "3G" artificial pitches I'm talking about, it's hard for me to explain the deatils, particulaly as I'm no expert, but from a distance they look very much like grass, and seem to be made with some sort of PP material with a rubber infill - vastly different from the rock solid artificial pitches that failed in the 80s, where artificial pitches developed a deservedly poor reputation. Less deservedly, given technological advancements, is that this reputation is still upheld.

The players certainly seem to like these pitches. The England x Russia game in Euro 08 qualifying was played on artificial turf, and only the media complained, not the players. Similaly, Broussia Monchengladbach play on a high-tech artificial surface in the Budesliga, as do - I think - some MLS sides. But for these clubs (who will typically only have 20 teams in their league and can probably afford under-soil heating and other hi-tech anti-freezing devices anyway) artificial pitches shouldn't really be an immediate concern. However, for clubs such as ourselves (who already have a congested fixture list with 24 teams and 3 cup competitions to cram in without having a ton of games cancelled already) playing 1 game in a month isn't really possible anymore. Additionally, I'm sure we aren't alone in that our pitch costs quite a bit to maintain and re-lay. Yes, the pitch looks lovely in August, but by November it's starting to tear and by February, if we get to play on it at all, it's usually nigh on ripped apart down the flanks and in the goalmouth, bogged up with water when it rains, or, usually, both.

I can't think of many arguments against having an artificial surface; certainly not concerning a club like ours who can't afford a decent grass pitch.

Thoughts?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can't think of any reasons why it's a bad idea. It costs less and these artificial pitches can last up to 10 years now.

Surely, they could also be rented out whilst not in use, also giving the club a cash injection.

For teams struggling financially, it makes great sense. The money saved over the years would be astonishing. I think it costs around 200k a year to maintain a grass pitch. Not sure how much a good artificial one costs.

'Plastic' pitches have always had a bad reputation but they've come a long way since the QPR days in the 1980's...

UEFA's injury figures also suggest that artificial pitches are significantly safer than grass, with 3.2 muscular and ligament injuries per 1000 playing hours compared with 7.6 on grass.

Attachments

• 25021301.jpg
    25021301.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 6
Player
Liam Palmer
Took a team of Rovers fans up to Glasgow last summer and we played on the 'plastic' pitch at Lesser Hampden - the small stadium adjacent to Hampden, used by Queen's Park reserves and youth teams.

The pitch cost £500,000 and is absolutely superb. It's supposed to be better than the one at Northwich. It's like playing on grass, you can slide and not get hurt, the bounce is even, and doesn't suffer from seasonal adjustment disorder (ie a soft sponge in winter, concrete-hard in summer).

I suspect there's something in League rules to say we're not allowed one? Otherwise it makes sense. You could host HUNDREDS of matches each season - just think of the income - or any outdoor events that require seating (concerts, shows, etc.). Given the slide in our income, surely it would make sense.

From a football point-of-view it is perfect to play on.....

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I suspect there's something in League rules to say we're not allowed one?

Yeah, when I get chance I'll probably try to look into this a bit more. I understand that UEFA permits the use of approved artificial pitches for professional matchday use, but that the sanctioning of these pitches is at the discretion of a club's own national FA. I'm not sure where the English FA stand on the issue, but I guess they'd consider each case individually - well, they should, but knowing our FA as we do? probably too busy for the likes of us.

The pitch cost £500,000 and is absolutely superb...from a football point-of-view it is perfect to play on

That's what I'm saying.
And, perhaps most importantly, as you mention, the financial implications of these pitches certainly look favourable.

I even perfer the astro at Vauxhall's to playing on most grass pitches. I'm hoping the one in Scotland you played on didn't cost £500,000 to hire though, just to build :cool:

Player
Liam Palmer
I even perfer the astro at Vauxhall's to playing on most grass pitches. I'm hoping the one in Scotland you played on didn't cost £500,000 to hire though, just to build :cool:

Ha ha, yes, it cost that to build not hire... And I like playing on the astro at Vauxhall's too, last time I played it was Rovers supporters 9, Queen's Park supporters 0. Now that's worth £500,000 to me!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
£500,000 is quite a lot for the initial outlay. That's probably one of the biggest stumbling blocks. If you can't spent 100k on a player, where you gonna get the money to fork out 500k? It would be interesting to know how much is spent on maintaining the pitch every season.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Thanks for raising this guys. I think it's a superb argument, and I've been doing bit of research on it. The Tranmere groundsman I don't think will appreciate the topic being brought up, as it would mean his hours being cut dramtically I believe as the artificial grass doesn't need as much up keep.

As well as ensuring games go on in cold freezing conditions, the hardwearing surface means it can be used far more frequently, so maybe the pitch could double up as trianing ground without too much ill effect on the playing surface condition.

With the number of games being called off (especially at last minute like our game at Colchester), it's definitely a good argument, but like Ian says, expensive to install etc and so far, from what I can find on the FA website, they only allow it to be used at non-league level under the regional conference divisions. But a good shout SonkOrly!

Player
Liam Palmer
From the club's website tonight: "Tranmere Rovers regrets to inform fans that the supporters' coach for tomorrow night's game at Colchester United (Tuesday 10th February) has had to be cancelled due to very low booking numbers."

Oh dear.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think the weather is helping either. The pitch may still be waterlogged. Expect an announcement today, if not, probably around 7.30pm :roll:

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Match likely to go ahead... The pitch is playable as it stands with no inspection due to take place.