• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Millwall 1 Rovers 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The reports suggest we gave them a run for their money and were probably the better side in the 1st half. Shame to come away with nothing then. No subs used by Ronnie, even after we fell behind. Would be good to hear the thoughts of anyone who braved the New Den.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I listened to the game - well, had it on in the background while i was about the house. Sounded like a sort of 4-4-1-1...similar to the formation everton play, with shuker in the "cahill" role just behind the main striker (bas)...

Seemed to work ok. I had a feeling that we'd be desperate to play after having such a long time without a match, and we really kept going on and on until the final (97th) minute. As such, substitutions would likely have had little effect other than perhaps by way of hampering our performance by having to wait for fresh legs to adjust to such a high-tempo game.

Millwall will see it as a hard fought 3 points, we'll see ourselves as unlucky. There was not a lot in it. For us to go there and compete with a side who occupy 3rd in the league with a game in hand - and who have only lost one game at home all season - is pretty impressive even if this time we've come away with nothing to show for our efforts. If we'd turned up, had one shot at goal and been beaten 1-0 i'd have been a bit dissapointed. But, given the manner of our performance, I think we now have a good foundation upon which we can build a more attacking style of football away from home. Hopefully.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wouldn't mind us playing 4-4-1-1 with Bas playing behind a target man in a free role, though it sounded like Shukes had a decent game there. In a high tempo game fresh legs can be invaluable. For example, it sounds like Sonko didn't feature prominently, so maybe giving Cresswell 10 minutes or so worth a try. Sadly, you don't get any points for being valiant losers...

Player
Liam Palmer
Another narrow defeat on the road. Sounded like we played well, the corner count was interesting, 8-2 in our favour. Losing away puts a lot of pressure on our home fixtures and the next two are really tricky against in-form sides.

Also, the bench looks pretty bare. We've got a decent first XI but when injuries and suspensions come calling, we're really stretched. Not sure what can be done. Not many players we could ship out - O'Callaghan maybe? (If anyone knew where he was.) And Ahmed.

Still, onwards and upwards, hopefully.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very true about the next couple of games and Crewe after that had a good win yesterday. O'Callaghan has featured for the reserves, so doesn't look like his contract will be terminated. I thought it was a well-balanced bench, if lacking a little in experience.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Wasn't at the game so can't really comment on the performance, but having read and listened to reports sounds like we were unlucky not to at least take a point.

But as usual our trouble is not putting away our chances. Nil goals normally equals nil points as it did yesterday, we need the lads to start sticking the ball in the net with more regularity. Be that Bas, Moore, Shukes, Sonko or whoever else, we had chances but didn't take them.

Hoping for a better outcome and good display on Saturday vs Carlisle.=D>

hallamski

Hello all
Its that Millwall chap again.
Didnt make it along yesterday due to illness.
Spoke to few people who were there and yes we were lucky to get all 3 points.
Seemed that in first half you were by far better team but in 2nd half run out of ideas which is strange that you didn't shift it around and bring on some subs.
Im more than happy with the result. We are now 3 points behind MKD with a game in hand.
Not sure how you will fare against Carlisle next week. They seem to be a team reborn in 2009.
Good luck for rest of season.
ESPECIALLY on 18th April.
H

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I went yesterday... Felt they would have had no arguments had we come away with the 3 points so to leave with 0 points was frustrating. Having said that its the 1st time i have come away from a match having lost but feeling fairly positive. They created one clear chance and scored it... Our defence was solid all game against a top team in the division. Meanwhile I think we were far better 1st half and 2nd half it was pretty even. Their keeper made a couple of top saves to keep us out. One from Chorley and one from Sonko spring to mind. To be honest our clearest chance came just after they scored... Sonko really should have scored but blazed over at the far post.

I'd also add that I think the ref bottled it on at least 2 occasions. Firstly when Savage turned their centre back who was already on a yellow in the 2nd half. If he hadn't have brought him down Savage would have been in a dangerous position. The centre back should have walked! No 2nd yellow shown. Then arguably the right decision was made when we had handball appeals turned down when it struck a hand in the Millwall penalty area in stoppage time. I don't think it was deliberate. But from the resulting corner the ball fell to Moore at the back post... He took it past his man... was clearly tripped with the defending making no contact on the ball. No penalty! Disgraceful decision. The ref completely bottled it.

Like I said though I was encouraged by the performance and the formation looked good. I hope Ronnie is not put off trying it again after the defeat!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sounded like we really were quite unlucky not to get anything from the game. It's a positive performance even after defeat, but going back to what Joe is saying, let's hope Ronnie isn't put off from playing a more positive tactic.

My worry is that he'll revert back to a more defensive display if it means coming away from the game with a 0-0 draw. Ronnie has already made it clear that results are what matters. He'll do anything it takes to get the result. Hope this game hasn't put him into that frame of mind.

Whatever the outcome, it sounded like good entertaining football :)