• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Micky sacked

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Clint Hill is the latest name to be linked.

I would have no problems with him as an individual and he would be popular with supporters, but I wonder what his credentials for youth development actually are. I think it is vital that the new manager is fully on board with the youth aspect or we will run into trouble again.

A tempting appointment to boost season ticket sales, but I am not sure he would be the right choice.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
At least he might have some fire in his belly which is what we need right now. I think whoever we get is going to be pretty much unknown in terms of management and development if this is the calibre of manager MP is looking at.

Player
Manager
John King
True, but at least Barry-Murphy and Etherington have youth development backgrounds. Hill does not, and that is a concern.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There was mention elsewhere of Matt Gill, who played briefly for us in the Edwards era but now on the coaching staff at Swansea. Don't know if that's got any credibility.

Don't know much about Etherington, but Dale fans seem to think Barry-Murphy bears some responsibility for their current difficulties, getting them relegated from L1 with a squad believed good enough to stay up.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
True, but at least Barry-Murphy and Etherington have youth development backgrounds. Hill does not, and that is a concern.
Yes it would be a risk. Clint does come across as passionate. He had a great career with QPR in the premier league and played for rangers too. He’s been coaching for a good few years with challinor and under Barton at Bristol rovers.

So he would tick some boxes. He’d be fairly cheap if his first managerial job. However as RLC suggests I’m not sure of his experience of developing players.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This appointment really is the key to our future. We will certainly lose the better, out of contract players in the summer. We are also likely to cash in on the better contracted ones to raise funds for next season’s squad. So if we get the wrong manager in, we will seriously struggle.

However, I still think the development strategy can work, given the right people in charge.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Darryl Clarke sacked by port vale. Took them up last season in the play offs and currently six points above the league one drop zone. May be interested if he wants to get back on the bike asap

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
There maybe nothing wrong with the development strategy, but as with all strategies they have to be executed well. Last summer recruitment, tagged as whatever strategy, was absolutely awful. To think you recruited from the Prem and Wigan only to discard them to part time clubs. Then more traditional signings of known players and flawed profiles have been equally dire, centre halves who could not defend, a Swede who doesn't even seem to know what to do or even where he is and Nolan who seems to have left the game altogether!
The fear is that by selling worthless talent, somebody may see some success. I can't see you getting away with that trick for long. I'd sell Hawkes and Bristow who are better but easily replaced with frees. Although i recall Little sold Taylor and then tried to wing it with loanees, having let Hall go he replaced an outstanding right side with nought. Don't repeat that!!!

Micky‘s CV is probably on its way already! For the conspiracy theorists, Vale‘s DOF, David Flitcroft, is an admirer of Mellon, and even recommended him to be his successor at Barnsley.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's crazy these days. A run of bad games and you're shown the door.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I didn’t realise Clarke did a Micky with Bristol rovers and got successive promotions from the national league to league one. Plus he got vale up of course so won’t be short of offers I would imagine.

Personally I’d much rather have someone like him with a good pedigree than say Clint Hill. However it’ll all come to money I suspect

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Darryl Clarke sacked by port vale. Took them up last season in the play offs and currently six points above the league one drop zone. May be interested if he wants to get back on the bike asap
You have to wonder what some owners expect. This isn’t the Premier League and Chelsea.

I am wary as the last sacked Port Vale manager we employed was a certain Micky Adams, who most of us thought would do the job but failed miserably. However, I think Darryl Clarke is still young and has an excellent track record at this level.

My worry is that with our budget and our buy and sell strategy, some good managers may not be interested.

Player
Manager
John King
My worry is that with our budget and our buy and sell strategy, some good managers may not be interested.
I agree it is unlikely he would be interested. He also does not have any reputation for youth development so, as with other names discussed, if that is the route we are going down he is not really suitable.

However, he is undoubtedly a good manager.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not that he would cut off his own nose to spite his face, but you do wonder if Palios does regret the change in policy. We were very close to the play offs the season before. We’re going to finish miles off them this time round. Will we get any closer next season?

The change may likely have been impacted by budgets so we may have had no other choice but to change policy, but if it wasn’t down to money then it’s been a real cock up, certainly in terms of results