• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Marine v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A commanding display from Rovers, in a fixture we actually lost last season. For the first sixty minutes we played our first eleven, switching to a team of youth players thereafter, and until the changes were made Rovers were completely in control of the game, Marine having their first shot on target in the eightieth minute.

Individually I thought Harris was excellent and was man of the match, closely followed by Liam Ridehalgh. Jay ran the midfield for long periods and seems both comfortable on the ball and willing to put his foot in. The front two were lively throughout and Margetts looks worth a contract. Sutton and Hogan were rarely tested but both looked decent. Cole Stockton was much improved when he came on and set up the third goal.

The only real concern for me was the performance of Steve Jennings, who looked as lethargic as he did for most of last season. With the competition for places in midfield he will have to up his game, and Harris looks a more deserving captain on today's showing. Maynard also had a poor game today and did not look comfortable out wide; I think he has to play in the centre of midfield to be effective, and we need to bring in a natural wide player.

There was a bigger Rovers turnout today than in previous seasons for this fixture, a further indication of the strength of the squad we are putting together and the general mood of optimism.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I'd expected us to field a stronger side at Marine, was a bit peed off to turn up at Kirklands to find the side we'd put out v Lairds comprised 9 trialists and 2 youth team players. I felt it was disrespectful both to our hosts and Rovers fans, who turned up in reasonable numbers. Both Ramsbottom and Pilling had reasonable games in goal, neither to blame for the goals conceded. I couldn't even work out which one Jack Fleming was...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
While I'd expected us to field a stronger side at Marine, was a bit peed off to turn up at Kirklands to find the side we'd put out v Lairds comprised 9 trialists and 2 youth team players. I felt it was disrespectful both to our hosts and Rovers fans, who turned up in reasonable numbers. Both Ramsbottom and Pilling had reasonable games in goal, neither to blame for the goals conceded. I couldn't even work out which one Jack Fleming was...

I was going to make the same comment myself Boz. I was planning to go to Lairds until family members persuaded me otherwise.

In his pre-match interview Brabin had indicated the team would be split 50-50 between first teamers and others at both matches. Apparently his 'trialist H' tactic of confusing our opponents extends to our own supporters. Out of order really, and the communication from the club must be better.

LOL at your final comment re. Fleming (had not heard of him until today).