• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Maidstone United v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Time to move on. Saturday's match brings back fond memories of last season's game which we won with virtually our third team. Of that side, the front six have all moved on, but the back five are still on the books. Two are now junior pros, Gumbs is injured, Pilling is third choice keeper and Clarke is currently out of favour. So, the team may be quite different but another 1-0 win would do.

We are now sixth with most teams above us having a game in hand. Unless we implode, I think we'll make the play-offs. But to have a good chance of promotion, I think we'll need a top three finish. This means we have to win this sort of match and I think we'll bounce back from Tuesday's disappointment.

However, I think Micky should ring the changes to revitalise the team. From what I hear, Ridehalgh and Norburn were poor on Tuesday, so there is a case for recalling Clarke and Hughes. Although Tollitt was also disappointing, I think he will get better with more game time, so I'd leave him in. Although I'd like to see more fresh blood, I can't see any more scope for changes.

drwhoman

Agree with your view BBTC. I see that MM says that McNulty is carrying an injury, so maybe Monthe, the new loan signing, will get more game time than we think. Are we still paying McEveley? Mind you, he is not the only squad player that appears to be really surplus to requirements, very soon after signing! Surely we cannot afford this and that something needs to be done about the scouting? Maybe MM places too much faith in whoever is responsible?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am going on Saturday but I have not had as little enthusiasm for a match for a long time. Tuesday night was a real kick in the stomach. However, it is vital that we win if we are going to make the top three.

Regarding team selection, I don't think there is any chance Tollitt will start this game, Tuesday night showed he is weeks away from being fit enough to start and needs a number of appearances from the bench to get his match sharpness. Added to which, I don't think he would be risked on the 3G after such a serious injury.

Elsewhere, I would start Clarke ahead of Ridehalgh and would not object to Hughes replacing Norburn, but I can't see that happening.

Maidstone are in abysmal form, with no wins in eighteen matches, which is a statistic that terrifies me. Surely we won't be the first team in four months to lose to them ?

Prediction: a Rovers victory if front of a travelling support of about 400 (I have no idea what current ticket sales are like).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As RLC says Maidstone are on a terrible run of form, they've won an FA Trophy game, but their last NL win was away at Torquay in November and it's even longer, the end of October since their last home win. After Tuesday, I don't feel entirely confident that we can keep that sequence going.

Micky's pre-match interview was interesting. He as good as said Monthe would start, McNulty has been carrying an injury, but longer term think he sees Monthe a natural left-footer playing on that side, presumably either as part of a back 3 or instead of Sutton. To start Monthe,who hasn't played any first team football for a while seems quite a risky strategy. He was also quite cryptic, not wanting to give too much away but there will be enforced changes, due to players carrying injuries and there will also be those who can't/won't play on plastic.

In my view Norburn has been consistently worse than Ridehalgh over recent weeks, though no doubting that Liam had a mare on Tuesday. It's not like we don't have options in central midfield; Hughes or Duggan for starters. However, Ollie may keep his place because of the enforced changes elsewhere.
I'd guess we'll line up something like;

Davies
Buxton Sutton Monthe Clarke
Ginnelly Harris Norburn/Hughes Jennings
Cook Norwood

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Given maidstones record there are no excuses if we don’t win this - 4G pitch or not. They have the second worst home record in the division so plenty of teams have gone there and won and we simply have to. After tomorrow we have 2 more winnable games in Gateshead at home and Dagenham away who are dropping like a stone with their player exodus.

Mcnulty will miss it I’m sure and Micky mentions other injuries too so suspect more changes.

Not going to predict but anything other than a win is a failure. Wrexham play aldershot so an opportunity for us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed, it would be a terrible result if we don't win, but I cant see that. Going for a comfortable 3-0 win.

Player
aldo
i hope some of the players have had a kick up the backside . some of em have gone off the boil and need to be told . . would get clark back in but would still play ben t as he will only get better . as 4 not wonting to play on the plastic pitch is again bollocks . should be fined if cant be arsed playing .. other managers wouldint have it . are away form is crap but has improved a little . if we dont win can see a struggle for playoffs got some tough games to go an if tuesday is eneything to go by we could struggle with some of the teams we got to play hope for a reaction from tuesday just a win please and some passion

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think there will be plenty of changes, think we will struggle and draw 1 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pay on the gate available. Would we have sold all the 600 tickets, after winning midweek? Probably not, but it will be interesting to see what the turnout of SWA is.

Shovelman123

Player
Liam ridehalgh
i hope some of the players have had a kick up the backside . some of em have gone off the boil and need to be told . . would get clark back in but would still play ben t as he will only get better . as 4 not wonting to play on the plastic pitch is again bollocks . should be fined if cant be arsed playing .. other managers wouldint have it . are away form is crap but has improved a little . if we dont win can see a struggle for playoffs got some tough games to go an if tuesday is eneything to go by we could struggle with some of the teams we got to play hope for a reaction from tuesday just a win please and some passion
Clarke is poorly yet again

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks. Looks like Monthe at left-back then...

Player
aldo
ill or cant be arsed playing on plastic . . we cant afford to mess up . was listening to mp on radio merseyside the other night . was not happy when he said mm made the choices on summer transfers . he has a very poor eye for players if thats true . think if we dont go up this season we will see big changes in the summer loads of players out of contract .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Best taking it one step at a time. Let’s see what happens today.

Player
aldo
dunn ?????????????? did not know he was still at club gotta lot to prove wast of a wage if you ask me its gonna be a long afternoon me thinks

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Monthe and dunn start, mc nulty, ridehalgh, Clarke, ginnelly out, tollitt on the bench. Still a strong team that should win the game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Dunn, ohh dear. Maybe he’s better on plastic pitches. Let’s just hope we come away with the points.