• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Magpies (2) v Rovers (1)

Match result

• Notts County

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Magpies (2) v Rovers (1)
Posted by Ian
Meadow Lane
Saturday, August 26, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 26, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
After the disappointing defeat at home last Saturday, Rovers head to the East Midlands to take on newly promoted Notts County at Meadow Lane. The Magpies have had a decent start to the season winning two of their opening four games but took a hefty defeat to start their campaign with a 5-1 loss to Sutton but have improved since.

The well travelled David McGoldrick will be looking to unlock the Rovers defence to add to his goal tally while profilic scorer Macaulay Langstaff will head the attack.

Rovers have some decisions to make on whether they keep the same players and formation that has seen us win only once in the league so far and questions have to be asked of the defence who were outpaced and run ragged against Salford. This will be a tough game for Rovers and I fear if we go into this with the same mentality we will get punished at the back.

I have no doubt we can now score goals but we look vunerable at the back so I'm going for a 2-2 draw.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m sure the county scouts will have watched our defensive performance last week and their front two will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of scoring a few.
We need to get back to basics and be solid and unspectacular certainly at the start. Keep it tight and then go from there. If we concede early then it could be another defeat.
Obviously if LOC and Norris are missing then Dawes has decisions to make. If hawkes is once again on the bench then he may be secretly hoping for a move before the deadline next week.

I could see us getting something from the game but if we set up with 4-3-3 again with not enough defensive support then I fear another loss

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I’m sure the county scouts will have watched our defensive performance last week and their front two will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of scoring a few.
We need to get back to basics and be solid and unspectacular certainly at the start. Keep it tight and then go from there. If we concede early then it could be another defeat.
Obviously if LOC and Norris are missing then Dawes has decisions to make. If hawkes is once again on the bench then he may be secretly hoping for a move before the deadline next week.

I could see us getting something from the game but if we set up with 4-3-3 again with not enough defensive support then I fear another loss
The defensive issues were having one in central midfield and barely anyone on the left flank. County will be hoping for more of the same. If Dawes tries it again, it could easily be a pasting and his reign will be over in weeks.
Hawkes or someone should play left midfield, I wouldn't worry too much about him leaving but he is probably the best bet currently.
Loans are needed in defence and someone of stature up front.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
We just need a solid game to give the players and fans a lift so i am going for a rovers 2-0 Taylor getting both

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It will also be interesting whether Dawes changes the midfield three. Arguably none of Jennings, Hendry and Morris are a proper defensive midfielder. Hendry will drop deep to get the ball to get us moving but he’s not a true CDM protecting the back four.
We do have options in that department with the likes of Merrie and Walker but there are question marks around their fitness.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Are there any updates on who will be unavailable for this game? Even without Norris and O’Connor Dawes still has options available.

While I agree with Sparky’s observation on central midfielders, Hendry’s on record as preferring a deep-sitting midfield role.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Are there any updates on who will be unavailable for this game? Even without Norris and O’Connor Dawes still has options available.

While I agree with Sparky’s observation on central midfielders, Hendry’s on record as preferring a deep-sitting midfield role.
LOC definitely missing as is Saunders. Norris still being assessed

Reactions: Boz

ADD

Player
Norwood
Team selection will be interesting I agree.
Will Dawes look to protect Leake and replace him with Merrie... but is he even fit enough - not sure? Yarney starts in place of LOC - will be interesting to see how he does. Have to assume Hawkes will start unless he is going in which case why hasn't he?
Not an easy game if Norris is fit will be a bonus but I have my doubts he will be. Going for a 2-2 draw.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to change the formation to suit the players we do have.
It seems that the potential of outscoring us county have enough quality to win this quite comfortable if we have a repeat tactical nightmare.
Yarney can come in as a back three, or as right full back. But we need to help Leake if he is left back.Could Morris be a left midfielder, will it be Connor or Taylor right midfield. Will it be wing backs? Morris has played there before. If Dawes does change the system who will drop out?
Who knows what he will come up with?
I'm not predicting a win for us.
But you never know, the line up will be interesting

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
County are useful up top which is why this should be a real good test for the defence and to also see if any lessons have been learnt from Saturday. Dawes wasn't giving much away in terms of team news for the match but I don't think the injuries were too serious. He also mentioned getting one or two new faces in and shipping a couple out but it's slow moving at the moment.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
In the absence of a CDM I think Lewis will get a start.
I'd prefer Hawkes out wide to Taylor at this stage.
I can see Taylor operating down the middle in the end. Good foil for Norris - although Dennis need first dibs if playing two up front.
Can see another high scoring close defeat.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Try and work the formation out for that one.
Three at the back...or Yarney RB?
Merrie and Jolley play.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Interesting to see how Dennis fares with what Hemmings had all last season! Suspect 5-1 thrashing and Dawes gone, unless he shows something he has kept very quiet thus far

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It will be interesting to see the formation, I'm guessing 4 3 3 and I find it bizzare Hawkes isn't starting

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
It will be interesting to see the formation, I'm guessing 4 3 3 and I find it bizzare Hawkes isn't starting
I think so too.
I'm guessing it will be Jenno left of front three. Interested to see who plays down the middle. Dennis or Jolley.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Madness that we’ve lost 3 out of 4 and aren’t starting are reigning player of the year and top scorer. Hopefully I’m proven wrong

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Jolley leading the mine with Dennis and a number 10