• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Lpool senior cup

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Whichever side the option is, it is just exercised without debate. If Morris is being offered he must be a free agent, bit surprised Saunders was only on an 18 month. The lad can play wing and his speed up top esp as a sub, must be tempting. McAlear came straight into Nigel's first side and appears to have done a job every time asked. Always looked an understudy for Walker.
The bigger issue is if Nigel sees someone as a squad player and their contract is large, they are likely to leave. Merrie had his wages doubled from Wigan and Dennis must be on decent pay but has never fitted in yet? Crewe liked Merrie previously, changed manager since though and Dennis would get several offers- Carlisle? Jolley could be a mutually agreeable departure?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
DB Morris is one of the out of contract players reputed to be one of our highest earners, likewise Lewis and I guess Dennis though not seen anything specific. Wigan were in financial difficulty the season before we bought Merrie, not heard anything to put him higher than mid range in our wage hierarchy.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
An enjoyable match but ultimately the visitors gained a deserved win. I say visitors but actually I didn’t realise until tonight that City of Liverpool FC play their home games at Vauxhalls so they were in fact the home side.

These games are always difficult to judge. For COLs players it was a big occasion being a cup semi. They had plenty of non league know how and our relatively young side struggled at times.
Over the 90 minutes we created barely anything in open play whereas COL hit the post twice.

No one stood out and the two lads from the education hub hardly touched the ball. Danns in charge made no subs and we were pretty toothless.

Clearly some potential as the likes of Kane and Starbuck showed some good touches but made a few mistakes. Ousmame reminded me of a poor man’s Ngolo Kante in terms of small but energetic, sat in front of the back four and can pass it well. He also received a yellow for a late tackle. Belohuan did ok and Sam Taylor showed quick feet at times but was a passenger second half, not helped by Jack Bentley at the back often punting it high for Sam to challenge against their big centre backs. It felt like men v boys at times.

Nice to see some of the senior pros there and Nigel and Parky plus other coaching staff took a back seat with the Palios, and let Danns get on with it.

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Fairly sure Jolley will be on his way out along with Hawkes.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Thanks for the report Sparky.

I agree that Hawkes and Jolley will be on their way, as surely will most of the squad players who turned out tonight. It is surprising that McAlear has been offered a new deal, and other than physique I am not sure what Adkins sees in him. However, I suppose you will never agree with every decision of any manager.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
While of course there will be ins and outs, I don't think we will see a huge turnaround. Adkins has made it clear he doesn't want to unsettle the squad too much and there is good dynamic in the squad at the moment.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the core of the squad will remain, but a lot of the fringe players will leave. The squad is way too big at the moment, and there are about ten players who have little or no chance of playing.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think the core of the squad will remain, but a lot of the fringe players will leave. The squad is way too big at the moment, and there are about ten players who have little or no chance of playing.
Yes and I was watching James Norris last night thinking where he’ll end up. Clearly well thought of at Liverpool and a good pedigree but not been able to establish himself with us.

I think with McAlear it depends whether he is happy with another season potentially not really featuring much or whether he wants first team football, although at what level he could get the latter I’m not sure.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I don't see us letting Morris or Hawkes leave as with Apter going we would need 4 new wide players, I can see the club taking the options on extending both players contracts.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Although this is a nothing match for the fans, I was sorry for the young lads that they won’t get the chance of a medal. It shows that a bunch of experienced semi-pros will usually get the better of a bunch of youngsters - especially the scratch side we put out last night.

By the way, I nearly took the ferry to Birkenhead yesterday. No, I haven’t lost it. I’m still in New Zealand and Birkenhead is a suburb of Auckland. Apparently it got it’s name because the ferry trip across the bay to the city reminded someone of the Mersey ferries.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don't see us letting Morris or Hawkes leave as with Apter going we would need 4 new wide players, I can see the club taking the options on extending both players contracts.
I’m not sure how these extensions work but if a player wants to leave then Nigel won’t want him to stay. I think Morris will but can’t see Hawkes staying. If I were Adkins I’d be saying to Josh that with Apter not here next season that the position is his but my guess is Josh has already decided his future is elsewhere. He’s 25 now so will want regular first team football and he’ll have options for sure,

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I’m not sure how these extensions work but if a player wants to leave then Nigel won’t want him to stay. I think Morris will but can’t see Hawkes staying. If I were Adkins I’d be saying to Josh that with Apter not here next season that the position is his but my guess is Josh has already decided his future is elsewhere. He’s 25 now so will want regular first team football and he’ll have options for sure,
The option is with the club to extend the contract, fairly sure the player can't refuse it.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Below confirms club have option to extend Morris's contract

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320-084605_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320-084605_Chrome.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 24

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Oldham had an option to extend Yarney’s contract but he declined it. It wouldn’t seem a given that Morris or anyone else must re-sign. I suppose it depends on exactly how the contract is drafted.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I can't see Hawkes bring here next season. Adkins does not seem to fancy him at all and I will be surprised if he takes up any extension.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Oldham had an option to extend Yarney’s contract but he declined it. It wouldn’t seem a given that Morris or anyone else must re-sign. I suppose it depends on exactly how the contract is drafted.
Options are binding otherwise they wouldn't exist. McNulty exercised his and so no further discussion took place. If Morris was insistent on wanting leave like under any form of contract, the club may decide to release. We maybe offering more money as the original deal was pre-inflation spike.
No way is Nigel going to promise Hawkes a shirt as he hasn't earned it and the player may decide to move on.
Merrie was a summer signing out of a development contract as I recall, Wigan weren't interested but others were and he got a good deal. A relative was with him at Everton. He was a first teamer but now under Nigel barely on the bench, looks like a leaver to me.
I think the Saunders situation sums up the complexity of Nigel's plans. I doubt he sees him as the ultimate destination for a first team shirt but he is a shoe in for sub and can start on either wing and up front in his terrier role. Has a lot more value than our third string left back!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Options are binding otherwise they wouldn't exist. McNulty exercised his and so no further discussion took place. If Morris was insistent on wanting leave like under any form of contract, the club may decide to release. We maybe offering more money as the original deal was pre-inflation spike.

Merrie was a summer signing out of a development contract as I recall, Wigan weren't interested but others were and he got a good deal. A relative was with him at Everton. He was a first teamer but now under Nigel barely on the bench, looks like a leaver to me.
So how do you explain that Yarney, with Oldham wanting to exercise an option to extend his deal, being able to leave then?

Wigan did offer Merrie a new deal, perhaps just ensuring they got a fee for him moving on. I’d be very surprised if he’s amongst the top earners at the club or even makes the top ten. While I’d like him to stay, think if Chris can get a club which suits him and where he’s more likely to play he’d be better moving on.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
So how do you explain that Yarney, with Oldham wanting to exercise an option to extend his deal, being able to leave then?

Wigan did offer Merrie a new deal, perhaps just ensuring they got a fee for him moving on. I’d be very surprised if he’s amongst the top earners at the club or even makes the top ten. While I’d like him to stay, think if Chris can get a club which suits him and where he’s more likely to play he’d be better moving on.
Well I don't if that is accurate, especially as there could do be relegation clause. But as with all contracts if the player, especially, doesn't want to carry on it tends not to happen. Spurs have twice alleged illegal approaches against MUFC on deadline day and yet hours later massive deals have been strucj and nothing ever said again. The phrase not worth the paper etc.......................
No idea where he stands in the pecking order, but he and Jolley were sought after and dropped down so are considerable earners. I'd guess Hawkes and LOC are similar. I'd see the latter as captain potential down the road and rock solid at RB where we have a tradition, Nigel may not want so much cash in that position though?
It is all a bit of a Laffer curve, costs v utility, an excellent full back can still cost too much whereas a cover centre forward can cost a lot but not play that much and be worth it!