• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Laters Welshy

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Cheers for a few years of fairly consistent/probably better than average/totally forgettable service

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd go for the first option.

We had a fairly good idea of what we'd get off John Welsh, adept at breaking up play in the destructive midfield role, usually good for a few goals, but sometimes went missing when times were tough. I'd have preferred him to stick around for continuity purposes, but can understand him moving on particularly if we offered him less than his current deal as rumoured. Undoubtedly, Preston offered him more money, good luck to him except when our paths cross.

More so with Welsh gone, I feel that Ronnie should have considered offering Weir another year. He was quite decent in a central midfield role and also playing behind the striker, though ineffectual out wide. As it stands, we need a pair of central midfielders, unless Wallace can be loaned again. Max Power has great potential, but the Scunthorpe game showed he's not quite ready yet.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I thought he did a decent job in an unglamarous role, good luck to him.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Welsh won't be hard to replace. This league is full of hardworking tackling midfielders. Getting some creativity and a goal scorer will be a much bigger task for Ronnie.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought Welsh went missing during our twenty game barren streak and was only revitalised when Ronnie returned. He is a decent player in the holding role at this level but was never a natural leader / captain in my view. I think Ash Taylor will do a better job as skipper in the long term.

However, fair play to him for getting a contract at one of the most high profile clubs in the division.

I would imagine he was one of our highest earners, so his departure may actually give RM more leeway to bring in better quality players elsewhere if a workmanlike Mark Allott-type replacement can be found.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Expect Navarro IMO

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Big loss..imo

no way am i investing in a season ticket

as soon as a player settles and starts performing he,s off,and another reject starts the unstable process all over again ... can we move forward ?

Buchannon will be gone also ..why because he,s a good player..

I,ll go to prenton park if we win and have a good run but na ,,.. good players should have been secured before end of season imo.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
For once I'm with Amplesou !

A big loss in my opinion. A large part of a successful side depends on the spine of the team. Its great we still have OFW, Ash and Goodi, but Welsh to me is a big loss.

He is a victim in my opinion of as Big Mart says, doing an unglamarous job, breaking up play etc. Plus he was club captain and a local lad. And complemented the other midfielders well.

But like Welshy, lets move on. You do wonder whether Ronnie regrets letting Joss/Weir go but I'm sure he must have known their was a good chance Welshy might leave.

Who knows if we'll get Wallace back but if not, its a whole new midfield pairing needed (Power not the answer yet imo).

O

OneNightInGayParis

Agree entirely with Sparky. JW has put in a good shift for us and would rather he stayed than went - as would Ronnie. I wish him all the best, but am a tad sceptical if this move will work out.

Player
Goodison
I'm disappointed that he's gone, since we changed to 4-4-2 he's played very well. By the sounds of it, our offer was derisory (£300 less than before) so good luck to him at PNE.

We now need at least 3 central midfielders - a creative one, a tackler and somebody inbetween. I don't agree with people who say players like Welsh are easy to come by, yes league one and two is full of tackling midfielders, but I doubt you will find many as consistent, disciplined and as injury free as Welsh. If Navarro is his replacement, I think he's an inferior player - older, injury prone and not settled in the side.

Hopefully Ronnie has 3 midfielders lined up, I'm reserving overall judgement on the midfield situtuation until he's signed these players - but I feel losing Welsh could be a bigger loss than people perhaps appreciate at the moment. I don't think people can judge how effective he was as a captain based purely on what happens on the pitch (There seems to be this subliminal view that a good captain has a head bandage like Terry Butcher and runs around screaming like Stuart Pearce) - a captain's job is much more in the dressing room and at the training ground etc, unless you're there it's hard to judge.

As for a new captain I would give it to Holmes - He's from our youth system, he's always pushing the team on, he's consistent and he's had to come back from adversity in his career (been released by Tranmere): a good example for other players.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
There is a difference between doing an unglamorous job and doing it particularly well

Player
Goodison
Welsh did it quite well, especially since Ronnie Moore came back.

DIW

Player
Goodison
What have you seen from Holmes that suggests he is ready to captain the side? Not saying he couldn't but y observations tell me that Ash is well ahead of him in that respect.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We are now seeing the downside of offering one- or two-year contracts and then letting them run down. If Rovers are really offering pay cuts, then can you blame a seasoned pro in his late twenties for going for a pay rise and a bit of security?

Every year, good players are allowed to move on with little or no recompense. So, it's really difficult for Rovers to improve their league position from year to year. I am not saying there's much that a club in our position can do about it. It's just very frustrating.

Welsh will definitely be missed. To say he can be easily replaced is rubbish. If so, a talented and streetwise manager with money like Graham Westley would have snapped those "replacements" up before signing Welshy. And don't be surprised if Preston sign other Rovers players this summer.

Les has had a lot of flack over the past three years - particularly recently - but he did bring in some very useful players for not very big wages. He deserves a lot of credit for this. If Ronnie can find players of similar calibre this summer, he will be doing really well.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
While a lot of the comments above are perfectly sensible, my general feeling is still that Welsh was solid but unexceptional. How good his replacement will be I don't know, but I don't believe losing him is as big a blow to us as would be the departure of Robinson, Taylor or even Buchanan. I don't think the club can be blamed for his departure either: we pay the wages we can afford to pay, and we certainly helped to resurrect his career after he was released by Hull. Three years at a club is a pretty long stay by modern standards, and some players may have wanted to spend the rest of their careers with us after developing a relationship with club (ask Goodison); he chose not to.

I maintain that Welsh was not a great captain, at least as far as his influence on the pitch is concerned, as he was neither vocal, nor particularly led by example when the team was struggling. Other characters like Robinson are, by all accounts, bubbly and good for morale off the pitch, but all teams need a player who shows leadership qualities and organises during games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bit shocked he's gone as he's been a fabric of the side for years now, but I don't think it's a great loss. If we are to improve, we have to move on and try and better what we've got. It's been mentioned previously and I think it's spot on to say that he definately wasn't a born leader and when the chips are down, he's usually down with them.

Hopefully, we can find someone that can improve what we have in midfield and also perform and step up when the going gets tough.

Been a good servant though. Good luck to him at Preston.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We have to accept that shorter contracts are inevitable in the current climate, though I would like to see a few more tied up on 2-year deals, if they'll accept them, so there is a bigger nucleus who'd remain next season. Stability of the club would also have been enhanced by giving Ronnie a longer deal.

Graham Westley is out of his comfort zone at Preston and it will be interesting to see how they fare after his wholesale clearout. While I can't blame Welsh moving for the money, his new team are unlikely to be pushing for the Championship either.

I agree with RLCs observations above and think until we see who the new recruits are and how they shape up, it's hard to tell how much Welsh will be missed. Buchanan turned out to be better defensively than Cresswell for example (though we did miss Aaron's set-pieces)

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Diappointed he's gone for all the reasons already stated... solid dependable, injury free, local lad.

As for the new skipper, how about Andy Robbo?