• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Kidderminster v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Would have liked to make this one, given a new ground and quality praised pies, but a combination of timing and finance means I'm not going.

Both sides in the last chance saloon and need wins either to keep their prospects of staying up alive in the hosts' case, or for Rovers to keep the play-off flame flickering. With the subsidised coach travel and Friday's win, it's likely there will be a decent turnout from the SWA.

Team selection is hard to call. Bringing Mekki on from the bench seemed to work v Lincoln, Fenwick didn't lack for fitness, though didn't seem enough of a goal threat to make him a certain starter and it may be at the end of the day, the same xi starts. Think we can probably do enough to scrape a win

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As Boz implies, a draw would do neither side any good, so we should expect an open game with plenty of chances. Let's hope our defence is much tighter than it was on Friday or we could suffer an unexpected setback. If we can show the same spirit as recently and convert a couple of early chances, we'll have no trouble. While there is only a goal in it, as is usually the case with Rovers, you do worry.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We'll get chances but will we be able to convert them? Still think we might scrape it by a goal.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Kiddy are as good as dead and buried. However, they are still fighting and have had good results in their last two games against Lincoln and Woking.

I am not sure GTF can manage two games in four days, so this could be a good opportunity to give Fenwick a start. I would go with the following team:

Davies
Vaughan Big Mac Ihiekwe Hill
Mekki Hughes Jennings Kirby
Norwood Fenwick

I would guess around 800 Rovers fans will travel and I think we will probably win.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Like Boz was looking out for this game when fixtures announced. Wanted a Sat game, stay the night in Bridgnorth and get train - great real ale at both stations.
Smashing little ground, hope all SWA that get there have a good day and we come back with the points.
Think the only possible change might be Fenwick for GTF and an old fashioned 442.
Doubtless GB will have his own ideas just to have us scratchings our heads again.
Fingers crossed that at very least Cheltenham can come up trumps.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Simply we have to keep winning all our remaining games to have a hope of the play offs think we will just about win this 2 1

Player
Manager
John King
After a slow start we have dominated. However, we have missed three sitters yet again and should be out of sight. Great rovers following here, let's hope we can finish the job.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sounded like a good solid performance. 18th and 19th for Norwood today and as usual could have had more. Decent day of results actually with Dover and Briantree both losing. Up to 4th.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I thought we might win today but didn't expect both Braintree and Dover to lose. A great day for the SWA!

Credit to Norwood for scoring 2 (neither penalties) and the whole team for another clean sheet. And GB for keeping the same line up.

On to Welling this Saturday.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Another valuable 3 points couple of results going are way but eastleigh and Wrexham both winning onto Saturday now

Player
Manager
John King
A deserved victory for Rovers, but again we made life hard for ourselves, missing numerous chances, and the game should have been settled well before the ninetieth minute. However, I can't have any complaints about the way we controlled the game, as Kiddy did not have a chance worthy of the name all match.

We started the game quite lethargically, sitting too deep and giving the ball away too cheaply in the first twenty minutes. However, from nothing Norwood scored a great opportunistic goal, brilliantly controlling and finishing a looping delivery into the box by Ihiekwe. The goal settled us down and for the remainder of the half we dominated, Hughes and GTF again impressing in midfield. However, true to recent form, numerous gilt-edged chances were squandered, GTF, Hughes and Norwood all missing sitters, and as poor as Kidderminster looked you began to winder if the misses would prove costly.

In the second period Kiddy seemed a little more competitive and our play became disjointed. We could not get any passing moves going and created very little for the first 25 minutes of the half, although defensively we remained solid and were virtually untroubled. In this period we were showing signs of fatigue after two games in quick succession and I think I and many of the SWA could see that substitutions were needed. Kiddy made three changes but Brabin did not respond, and his failure to be proactive and sense the way the game was drifting at this stage gives me real concern. Finally GTF was replaced by Fenwick with 15 minutes to go. However, Jake Kirby, who was clearly carrying a knock and could barely run at this stage, remained on the field to the bemusement of me and many others. It was only when Garnett and Blundell had a word with Brabin that Kirby was also replaced, which I found somewhat disturbing.

The substitutions gave us a new lease of life and in the final ten minutes we created further chances, a decent effort from Fenwick (who was quite impressive) saved by their keeper and an absolute sitter missed by Norwood from six yards, before he finally put away a more difficult chance from an angle to seal the victory.

Individually, I thought Hughes and GTF were very good again, and all of the back four played well, with the exception of a ropey defensive performance from Vaughan in the first half. Norwood worked incredibly hard again, but man of the match was probably McNulty, who controlled their forward line while barely breaking sweat.

Overall, it was a professional display, although the missed chances remain a concern, as does Brabin's failure to make changes early enough in the second half. However, with the unexpected bonus of defeats for BW and Dover the SWA have renewed hope, and there were some 'ee-aye-oh' promotion chants from the Rovers fans at the final whistle.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC. It sounds like we could have won more comfortably but at least we extended the lead late on, rather than concede in the last minutes as we did against them at PP.

Brabin's failure to make tactical substitutions has already been remarked on, but a failing to make a change when injury dictates is more alarming. Mekki already missing through injury today, so have to hope that either Kirby's injury isn't serious or Makreth can step up a gear.

Today's other results were a mixed bag. Wasn't expecting either Braintree or Dover to lose, though read the former haven't won away since beating us. However, Eastleigh and Wrexham wins mean both will feel they are still in contention for a play-off spot.

Player
Manager
John King
In fairness to brabin, the injury to Kirby was sustained in the first half and he came back out after half time. However, due to a combination of the knock and tiredness he clearly needed to come off, and brabin did not make the change until Garnett had a word with him. Overall, I would say results were good for us. We did not expect bw and Dover to drop points today, and we still have to play wrexham and Eastleigh and can put them out of the race ourselves, at least theoretically. Plus wrexhams run in is even tougher than ours.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You can't really argue with Rovers at the moment. We are picking up maximum points and that's all you can ask for at this stage. I just hope someone around us has a major wobble, most notably the part timers Dover or Braintree.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ian, I'm hoping everybody around us has a major wobble!

Player
Manager
John King
I should finally add that Kiddy seems a really good club in a nice part of the world, and it will be a shame to see them go down. And yes, the food was amazing.

drwhoman

Great to get the win and for the teams around us to lose. That said, missed chances and lack of tactical flexibility on the part of the Manager seem to be continuing themes. I wonder if Higdon is still carrying an injury? It seems strange that a relatively high profile player is not being used at present. See how we go. I thought Ian's observation about part timers was interesting. Will Dover and Braintree be able to cope with a busy April as they make up their games in hand? Let us hope not!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well, I said we wouldn't get back into the playoff zone and I've already been proved wrong. Let's hope the rest of my predictions are also awry. We still need either Dover or Braintree to lose at least twice more, but today's results are welcome and will put them under more pressure.

As an aside, I have to admire the likes of RLC, who must have nerves of steel and no fingernails left after watching Rovers all season. Nearly every match has gone to the wire. At least we are managing to hold on more effectively of late.

drwhoman

Agree BBTC! I have just been looking at the remaining fixtures. I know it is a big ask but if we can win the last five games we must be in with a chance particularly as Braintree in particular have a tough run in. Home to Forest Green and Alty and FIVE aways at Macc, Barrow, Grimsby, Gateshead and Wrexham. One would think that there would be at least a couple of losses there?