• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Kenny Shiels

B

Banana Army

Shiels

Kenny Shiels joins as youth development coach. Does this open up the way for Garnett to become Assistant Manager?

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
You might be right!

Don't know much about Shiels, will have to investigate.

B

Banana Army

No, the only thing i knoew about him was he has a son playing for Hibs. Dean i think it is. Read up about him managing The Irish County and a couple of Irish club sides, but apart from that....

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
He's the ROI Under 17 manager. It doesnt mean Shaun Garnett is going to be assistant though. Tranmere have been looking to add a new Youth Devlopment Manager since Warren Joyce broke contract and went to manager FC Antewpt.

I think McAteer will go and Shaun will be manager of the Reserves/Youth next season. Ronnie will bring in his own number 2.

Player
Morrisey
I think this sounds like a good appointment. I too think this could (I stress COULD -insinuating speculation- before I get shot down) pave the way for one of Macca or Garnett to become assistant.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
This is Kenny's CV off the IFA website...

Kenny Shiels
Under-17 Coach
Date of birth: 27th April 1956
Place of birth: Magherafelt

THE MODERN game is often accused of lacking characters, the sort of personality that makes people sit up and take notice. That is one accusation that cannot be levelled at Kenny Shiels.

Love him or loathe him the Upperlands man is never far away from the headlines. Often outspoken but very often correct in his assertions, Shiels? knowledge of the local game at all levels is virtually unrivalled amongst his peers. Whilst he can talk the talk with the best of them there is no doubt he can definitely walk the walk.

An experienced club manager in his own right with the likes of Carrick Rangers, Coleraine and Ballymena United it is perhaps his work with the youth of Northern Ireland in numerous capacities that has earned him the most renown.

Shiels came into his own in 2004 when he guided, against all the odds, Northern Ireland U17s to the finals of the European Championships in France.

A truly remarkable achievement which almost became the stuff of legends when, in their first game, his young charges almost defeated the hosts only to succumb to a late rally by their start-studded opponents.

Although defeats by Turkey and Spain followed there is no doubt the whole experience is one which will stand the future of the game here in good stead as those young players progress through the ranks.

Kenny is also, of course, the father of U21 striker Dean. Currently at Hibs its his development which fills Shiels with the most pride ? and a connection which means that the highly respected family name will continue to make waves in local footballing circles for some time to come

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Might we well see some young promising Irish players coming across the water to don the white shirts in future then???:roll:

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
Yer I think that could happen!!. Good shout :lol:

What ever happened to the little Irish team we were coupled with back in the late 90's??