• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

John King quotes

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was thinking today of some memorable John King quotes from days gone by, but struggled to find any on the internet.

Can any remember some of the classics he used to come out with? I've gone the jim steele -> maypole, erm, the gunslinger...

Now I'm struggling to remember..

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
haha ill have to dig out my programmes from 94/95 and have a look what hes said in his comments.

Player
Morrisey
Tranmere are a deadly submarine ready to pounce

Thats a cracker!! I have been looking for that every where. I didn't want to post it until I knew I had the wording right.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
Come join us on a journey to the moon.

Aha, yes, forgot about that one! A classic.

N

Nevin on the wing

The full quote is something like:

'If Liverpool and Everton are luxury liners, then Tranmere are a deadly submarine.'

You can write just about any nautical phrase and it'll be a Kingy quote, 'we're making our way through some rough water at the moment', 'we need to all pull on the oars together', 'we're on a season long voyage', etc, etc.

(they're not actual quotes I've dug up, but it's a good bet he said things along those lines).

C

ChiefRich

I can't remember them exactly (it's at home and I'm not), but I seem to remember a couple being on the video of the Leyland Daf Cup final win over Bristol Rovers in 1990. He got very drunk on the coach back and was greeted by a few hundred fans on getting back to Prenton Park. He said a couple of funny things I think.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

The only one I can remember is the 'Deadly Submarine' quote. Sorry guys. I try and get some out of my cousin's programs from the time he was in charge

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Well quelle surprise! Rearguard have now got a devoted page to Kingy quotes!!! How original of them :twisted: hehe :lol:

Player
Morrisey
You heard it here first though! Just shows that everyone wants a site like Ian's. :wink:

B

Banana Army

SCooperSomersaults said:
Well quelle surprise! Rearguard have now got a devoted page to Kingy quotes!!! How original of them :twisted: hehe :lol:

don't see the funny side to be honest. bloody thieves

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I noticed that... Robbing bastaaaards!!! :D

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Shows they go in this then eh? :D