• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Jeff Winter is a muppet.

• Thread starter Johnny King is God
  • Start date
J

Johnny King is God

Those amonst us with longer memories will remember the problems caused to us by Jeff Winter, one particular game away at Birmingham springs to mind. Anyway - this guy is one of the most detestable human beings on the planet. A truly dreadful ref, and an utter penis as well.

I was reading the paper on Sunday, when I came across this quote from his autobiography - Who's the Bastard in the black? - detailing his last ever trip to Anfield. This has to be read to be believed...

“I played a little bit of extra time, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast...the fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was it applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, it would not surprise me.”

Publishers are hastily retitling the book 'Who's the deluded knob jockey in the black' as we speak.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
I don't see whats wrwong with him to be honest. I think he's a good referee.

C

ChiefRich

Yes I remember the rubbish about that Birmingham game. Didn't Aldo give him 10 out of 10 on the rating, "so they'll send him back to the Premiership as soon as possible"?

Wasn't there also some dubious game at home to Southend about 10 years ago?

But, in his favour, I remember him being the ref on St Yates' Day

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
He was the ref in our 2-1 home win against Blackpool when Hume scored those 2 crackers... he was an utter nob that day too!!

M

Matthew The Rover

I liked him to be honest, and I don't like many ref's :lol:

S

Seanyb

Despite how much referees can piss me off, I do always spare a thought for the guy. Just for a second think about how biased we are towards a referee for his decisions he gives. He'sd had a good game in our opinion if he has given many decisions to us and not the opposition. The opinion of the away fans would be greatfully different. And I always think that the ref is an easy scapegoat if we lose a game.

J

Johnny King is God

oh my god lads...did you read the quote? What a pillock!

DixieDean

i don't think liverpool fans would call him a pillock if they read that.
Perhaps they read their programmes before that game? Maybe it mentioned it in there?
Who knows....

SeanyB is spot on.....

Supporters are always going to be biased towards their own team. The amount of times I've seen fans react incorrectly to a good decision from a ref or linesman far outway occasions when the fans have actually got it right by at least 10 to 1.

Personally I'd say, before anyone slates a referee, try reffing a game at a decent level yourself and just see how easy it is.....

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

The thing about Winter when he refed good he was good but when he was shit he was really bad, he does talk some shit do when he does his little interviews for sky sports news

J

Johnny King is God

Liverpool had just won a game by a big margin. As if they would make the cheer louder for the referee. I point out it was his last game AT ANFIELD...not his last game ever. His last game was the cup final.

He is saying he played extra time than was due - just so he could blow the final whistle at the kop end to make his last visit perfect. That to me is wrong.

It all relates to what Mark Hughes said last week about celebrity referees. The best ones dont get noticed. People like Jeff Winter and Graeme Poll [Who Hughes was criticising] are so big headed. They consider themselves to be a part of the whole football celebrity football scene. This article is absolute proof that Jeff Winter thinks he is a bit of afootballing hero. He's not, he's a berk.

They are there to referee a game, not get in the papers. They love the attention though alright. You can see what Winter is like by the way even now that he is retired he always tries to get on telly to put his two pennies worth in.

I'll give the final word on this to Steve Bruce:

But Bruce has slammed Winter's comments and claimed that he was unpopular with players when officiating before hanging up his whistle.

He said: "When have we ever been interested in Jeff Winter? He was hopeless at refereeing and absolutely despised by most of the professional players because of his attitude and thinking that he was bigger than any player.

"Who is interested in what he writes? What was he - a bog-standard referee who loved himself. He drives me nuts. An absolute prat - and you can print that as well.

"For him to comment on anything like that, he has got about as much personality as a bag of chips. I disagree with what he has said.

"I just think it is someone making a few quid and, as I have said, who the hell is interested in Jeff Winter.

"He was disliked immensely for the way he was as a referee, the way he conducted himself, the way he portrays himself."

J

Johnny King is God

Liverpool had just won a game by a big margin. As if they would make the cheer louder for the referee. I point out it was his last game AT ANFIELD...not his last game ever. His last game was the cup final.

He is saying he played extra time than was due - just so he could blow the final whistle at the kop end to make his last visit perfect. That to me is wrong.

It all relates to what Mark Hughes said last week about celebrity referees. The best ones dont get noticed. People like Jeff Winter and Graeme Poll [Who Hughes was criticising] are so big headed. They consider themselves to be a part of the whole football celebrity football scene. This article is absolute proof that Jeff Winter thinks he is a bit of afootballing hero. He's not, he's a berk.

They are there to referee a game, not get in the papers. They love the attention though alright. You can see what Winter is like by the way even now that he is retired he always tries to get on telly to put his two pennies worth in.

I'll give the final word on this to Steve Bruce:

He said: "When have we ever been interested in Jeff Winter? He was hopeless at refereeing and absolutely despised by most of the professional players because of his attitude and thinking that he was bigger than any player.

"Who is interested in what he writes? What was he - a bog-standard referee who loved himself. He drives me nuts. An absolute prat - and you can print that as well.

"For him to comment on anything like that, he has got about as much personality as a bag of chips. I disagree with what he has said.

"I just think it is someone making a few quid and, as I have said, who the hell is interested in Jeff Winter.

"He was disliked immensely for the way he was as a referee, the way he conducted himself, the way he portrays himself."

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
I am a qualified referee, I have refereed plenty of matches ,Been one for three yearsm and thats why I dont really shout at the ref now, unless its soemthing obvious you appeal.

I've been there, I've been moaned at, I've been slated, I know he refs feel.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Im not qualifed but I used to ref 5-a-side abit and I was shit but I feel some refs should use their common sense more. In sted of just splashing cards and shit out just have a little word in that players ear and say one more and you're in my book simple as

Player
Morrisey
I think that the biggest referee in personality, the most aragant and imho the best was Collina! He sums up a referee for me! He earnt respect from players and it made his job easier and more effective.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Yeah ill have to agree there he used to be one of my favs before hr retired

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Collinia was good... always seemed to give decisions England's way! :wink: