• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Heswall 0 Rovers 4

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An entertaining game and an impressive performance from Rovers tonight.

Of the players I was unfamiliar with, it was our own youngsters who impressed me tonight rather than the trialists, most of whom I don't think are worth a second look. The only exception was Jeffers, who scored the first goal and showed some good movement at times, but did look very rusty. Might be worth a gamble.

Elsewhere, I thought Max Power was outstanding in the second half, while both Kirby and Vaulks were very good. I was particularly impressed with Vaulks who looks very assured on the ball, something we have lacked at centre back in recent years; strange that RM doesn't seem to rate him. By contrast, I thought Cole Stockton struggled, and I am not sure he will actually make the grade.

Palmer and Akpro both did well, but based on tonight I would actually place Power ahead of Harrison and Palmer in the running for the second midfield role. I was also pleasantly surprised by Burgess, who looked better on the ground than a lot of people have suggested.

Although our play steadily improved as the game progressed, I felt sorry for Heswall who were absolutely shattered in the second half having played against a different outfield team in each half (with the exception of Kirby).

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Excellant peformance ..what a differnce from the lp era f/me...!

I was disapointed with harrison who does,nt commit himself ,he must see young power and wallace and think i should be as good as them ....not on tonights performance

Did,nt rate burgess ,he,s lost alot of that upper body strength, he,s no where near as good as shouwonbie or what ever he is called ...that probally means some fans wil love him...!!!

We have,nt got a replacement yet for welsh imo ,the lad from sheff wed- nes- day, looked really average

Jeffers well done mate.... deserves a chance imo

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report RLC.

Whilst its good the youngsters did well (albeit only against Heswall), it's a shame that none of the trialists appear to have shone, except possibly Jeffers who I agree is probably worth a one year deal.

Still time but slightly worrying if the trialists arent impressing.

I think Ronnie will have seen enough from Power to think along with Wallace, Harrison & Palmer, he has enough centre mids.

But its the wingers (who ultimately will provide service for Burgess etc), that we need.

Was Akins involved at all ?

Player
Manager
John King
Akins wasn't involved and is, apparently, still injured. After seeing Jake Kirby's performance on the right last night I am not as worried about the wide areas, but we probably do need to bring at least one more winger in.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
What sort of player is Kirby? I'm never very well tuned in to what's going on with regard to our young players

Player
Manager
John King
What sort of player is Kirby? I'm never very well tuned in to what's going on with regard to our young players

Quite skillful and nippy, though perhaps lacking a bit of physical presence at the moment. Pretty much the exact opposite of Akins to be honest.

drwhoman

JASON MOONEY

I see we have signed Mooney for a year, A fairly safe choice I suspect. Had one year at Wycombe but was actually out on loan most of the time and several Irish clubs before that. McCrystal probably knows him from there. Significant that no one else has been signed as yet although there may be a money issue with (say) Jeffers who is experienced enough to try and negotiate.