• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Guiseley v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
On reflection, I was probably slightly harsh in my assessment of last night's performance. A lot of credit has to go to Guiseley for playing very well and pushing us all the way.

However, I still don't think it was a good display for a number of reasons. I thought we were too deep and stood off Guiseley for long periods of the game. We did not press as a team, and when Norwood did harry their back four Higdon was nowhere to be seen. I thought Higdon's first half display was good but he faded badly again in the second period, whether due to tiredness or laziness. Whatever the reason, he really should not be on the pitch if he is not prepared to jump for a header or chase a ball down five yards away, and I was amazed he was not replaced at any stage.

I thought the back four were also poor defensively, the full backs beaten too easily by their wide players and the centre halves basically battered by Liam Dickinson, certainly after McNulty went off. On a number of occasions he won headers on the edge of our box completely unchallenged, which is a concern if Big Mac is out for any length of time. I also thought Davies should have comfortably saved the shot for their second goal, although he was not helped by some awful defending in the build up.

In isolation a draw last night is not a disaster, but it seems that way because we have no room for manoeuvre at the moment. Without being dramatic, I think a victory at Dover gives us a reasonable chance of making the play-offs, but lose and it is all over.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The last game I saw before this was Torquay, so having missed out the recent purple patch, the opening quarter hour was some of the best football I've seen from Rovers in a while. However, as RLC points out, we weren't clinical enough at that point of the game.

I'd agree with much of what's been said above. Higdon's minimal contribution in the second half meant he should have been replaced, there were options and Norwood was battling hard. Second half, we also conceded far too much ground in the middle of the park, agree we were defending nervously, but Jennings/Hughes ought to have been offering more protection for the back four, while Mekki and Kirby's cover of the full-backs was sporadic. Guiseley were a well-organised side, who kept their shape well, but their league position is probably a fair reflection; good enough to stay up but lower mid table at best.

I would be very worried if McNulty is out for any time, as Riley has shown little ability to organise a defence. Sutton would have been a better option.

drwhoman

Thanks for your considered comments RLC. You are a lot closer to this than me but I was very surprised that Brabin did not make any changes after McNulty went off. If Higdon was tired it was strange that he was kept on. Replacement by GFT for ten or fifteen minutes with Norwood playing more centrally was an obvious option. He is undoubtedly a quality player at this level when fit but the continued persistence with him for ninety minutes, when this is seemingly not the case, does make me wonder about Brabin's tactical acumen. Mind you others on this forum have made this sort of observation before. If we do not make the play offs this will be a key reason. Anyway, let us hope for a better effort on Saturday. After all, it is a long way for supporters to travel!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The last few posts highlight something I've noticed from afar about GB. Nearly all his substitutions seem to be reactive (e.g. injury). He doesn't often seem to make tactical switches in formation or in personnel very often, even when the team is struggling. Even basic moves like replacing tired players with fresh legs rarely seem to happen. Tuesday was crying out for something different in the last 20 minutes. I'd have liked to see Margetts replace the tiring Higdon, but of course he wasn't even on the bench.

drwhoman

Fair comment BBTC. It is worthy of comment that this was the team's second game in four days. This might have had an impact on the older players like Jennings and also those who may not be fully fit such as Higdon. This makes the refusal to use substitutes when we are playing games close together and players are tiring all the more strange. The possibility must occur to the Manager surely?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The last few posts highlight something I've noticed from afar about GB. Nearly all his substitutions seem to be reactive (e.g. injury). He doesn't often seem to make tactical switches in formation or in personnel very often, even when the team is struggling. Even basic moves like replacing tired players with fresh legs rarely seem to happen. Tuesday was crying out for something different in the last 20 minutes. I'd have liked to see Margetts replace the tiring Higdon, but of course he wasn't even on the bench.
I'd agree with this. Aside from the Aldershot home game, where he replaced the ineffectual Blissett with Mangan(remember him) up front at half-time, despite an equaliser just before the break, I can't recall many tactical changes from Brabin. He doesn't often freshen the side up during the game with like-for-like change. While Margetts wasn't available, there were still choices open,for example;
Replace Higdon with GTF and move Norwood to lead striker
Play Kirby up front with Norwood, move Hughes to the left and bring Harris on to brighten a tiring midfield.
Mackreth for Mekki who was fading during the game.

On a separate topic, an excellent turnout from the SWA. 541 for a cold Tuesday night in Yorkshire, about a hundred more than made Halifax, a similar journey, on a Saturday. Presume the recent good form was a factor in this.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
On a separate topic, an excellent turnout from the SWA. 541 for a cold Tuesday night in Yorkshire, about a hundred more than made Halifax, a similar journey, on a Saturday. Presume the recent good form was a factor in this.
I agree, but I wonder how long this support will last if the form dips. I doubt many will make the journey to Dover on Saturday. It's even too far for me to contemplate. However, if you make a weekend of it and go to Calais, there are some great booze deals and you can even get as free Eurotunnel ticket if you spend enough. If you're having a party, the savings would more than pay for the petrol!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We've a hardcore of around 150-200,who do most away games and I'd expect towards the upper end of that for the Dover game. Maybe more, if they're making a weekend of it as suggested.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd take bbtc advice and go for the weekend trip.